Wedgie free riding drawers. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Wedgie free riding drawers.

I noticed today I start with the wedgies about 1 hour into a ride even though I don't move around all that much. I used to wear briefs as a young man but now I started wearing those Hanes Comfortsoft Boxer Brief.
Anyone else having the same dilemna? Any good solutions?
THanks for your help.
Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 7:39 pm

Talking Suggestion

COMMANDO !!!!!!

Just kidding..

I think some folks wear the spandex biker shorts, some have butt pads in them and are supposed to be pretty comfortable on the long ride..

Someone in the know will chime in pretty soon.

Just couldn't let that one go...

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 7:59 pm

As a professional in the butt comfort biz, I've spent a LOT of time researching this. The answer is Under Armour BRIEFS:

www.underarmour.com

Blow off the cheap stuff from Wally World and all the "motorcycle specific" stuff that is overpriced, overhyped and made from junky fabric.

Pricey - butt you get what you pay for. As a matter of fact I am wearing them right now, butt that is probably more information than you really wanted to know.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

post #4 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 8:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
As a matter of fact I am wearing them right now, butt that is probably more information than you really wanted to know.
YEW!!!!! TMI, Ron.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 8:20 pm

HEY hey hey Stevarino...

At least I put on some FRESH ones this morning - and did not soil myself during today's 450 mile ride around Southern AZ in 77F weather.

Yup, I am rubbing it in. Ewwwwwwwwwwww.........

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

They list 4 different kinds of "briefs". Any specific ones?

Quote:
As a professional in the butt comfort biz, I've spent a LOT of time researching this. The answer is Under Armour BRIEFS:

www.underarmour.com

Blow off the cheap stuff from Wally World and all the "motorcycle specific" stuff that is overpriced, overhyped and made from junky fabric.

Pricey - butt you get what you pay for. As a matter of fact I am wearing them right now, butt that is probably more information than you really wanted to know.
post #7 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 9:03 pm

You can find the bike shorts without the crotch pad -- the LT's seat is much more comfortable than a bicycle seat. I found that Calvin Klein makes a boxer brief that doesn't seem to stretch out, doesn't ride up, and it has no seams for you to sit upon. That has worked very well for me.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #8 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 10:14 pm

Try these on for size!

I heartily endorse these LD Comfort riding shorts. I prefer them over the Calvin Kleins. The beauty of these shorts is that they have a "kangaroo type pouch" so you can easily locate your "best buddy" when you need to....check them out www.ldcomfort.com/
Ron
post #9 of 54 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:16 pm

Thanks guys, I haven't been able to stop laughing fron the first post on this thread......

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #10 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:43 am

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjrieth
I heartily endorse these LD Comfort riding shorts. I prefer them over the Calvin Kleins. The beauty of these shorts is that they have a "kangaroo type pouch" so you can easily locate your "best buddy" when you need to....check them out www.ldcomfort.com/
Ron
$44.00 delivered for ONE pair of underwear? ...and I thought $19.00 was nutz for the Under Armour....

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #11 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
$44.00 delivered for ONE pair of underwear? ...and I thought $19.00 was nutz for the Under Armour....
I was thinking the same thing. I'd have to wear a pair of underwear under these underwear to "protect my investment"
I wonder if GEICO insures them?
post #12 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:17 am

I've used the LD's for several years - before the "amour" stuff was available - and I think the are great. The also have some exposed rubber texturing on the inside of the legs at the bottom so the stay in place real well.

Jim

JSRalston
'02 LTC - Black

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
Oscar Wilde
post #13 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:42 am

Rotflmao...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
I was thinking the same thing. I'd have to wear a pair of underwear under these underwear to "protect my investment"
I wonder if GEICO insures them?
That is the funniest damn thing I've seen posted on this site!!
And, an interesting thought!

(Personally, I use Pro-Player seemless boxers - Available at Penny's)

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #14 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I've purchased the LD riding shortrs and the Under Amour and would not hesitate to go with the UA's. I thought I was getting something superior with the $35.00 price on the LD's but all I get is a loss of circulation in my legs cause the elastic bands are so friggin tight. Save some cash ag go with the under amour.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #15 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:09 am

Someone on this site suggested 'ProPlayer'? underwear from JC Penny - about $15.00. Try them.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #16 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 4:20 pm

Ex Officio

Check out the offerings from Ex Officio, a well-known clothing manufacturer in hiking community.

I originally thought that $25 was a bit excessive for underwear (though in the context of this discussion, it looks like a bargain), but after trying a pair, I was hooked. Like most synthetic undergarments, they control moisture, wick, breath, etc. But these have the added benefit of an antimicrobial agent that retards the build-up of odor causing bacteria.

The manufacture suggests taking two pair on a trip. Each night, rinse and hang-dry the pair you wore that day. The next morning pack that pair (they dry in an hour or so) and put on the other. The manufacturer says you can go about two weeks with this routine before needing to wash them with soap. That's a lot of saved space in the saddlebag.

The link below is for boxer-briefs, but they also sell boxers and briefs (and t-shirts) made from the same materials.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_det...b-24e9575b5a25
post #17 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 6:47 pm

Nike Dri Fit works for me....

...but then I work for Nike
post #18 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Cool

I still use the same briefs I used to wear when I was younger... during my days at Chippendales!
Plus my girlfriend loves them... If it works why fix it???

Gilles
'99 "Red" LT
post #19 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 7:19 pm

Quote:
To keep my jewels happy ....Its worth it

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #20 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 7:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
I've purchased the LD riding shortrs and the Under Amour and would not hesitate to go with the UA's. I thought I was getting something superior with the $35.00 price on the LD's but all I get is a loss of circulation in my legs cause the elastic bands are so friggin tight. Save some cash ag go with the under amour.
I know I should not add to this post for obvious reasons, BUTT...In a seminar of Long Distance Riders our very own Don Arthur made a comment (as a guest speaker) about shorts for LD riding. He said the first thing you should do before wearing LD Comfort riding shorts is to cut the elastic on both legs. It turns out that this could cause DVT Deep Vein Thrombosis which could result in a lot more than a little discomfort. Needless to say the elastic cuts off your blood flow.

Just thought you should know.

I still vote that Joe Namath answer to the problem: Panty Hose! Seriously guys the total support has many benefits for men as well. I have know several snow ski racers that wear them as well.

Last edited by black1200lt; Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:21 pm.
post #21 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:00 pm

I too endorse the ldcomfort shorts. Purchased a pair earlier this year for a Ironbutt ride and my butt was just fine afterwards. They are expensive but worth every penny.
post #22 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Twenty thousand dollars for a MOTORCYCLE....you crazy?!
post #23 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:51 pm

I use these: http://www.rei.com/product/47695209.htm.

I always carry a few pair on a LD trip. They can double as swim trunks and will quickly dry when tied to the top of your bike. Or you can rinse then in the sink in a hotel in the evening and they'll be dry in the morning. No seams. Works just great.
post #24 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
They can double as swim trunks and will quickly dry when tied to the top of your bike.
I'm kind of afraid to ask, but I must:

"Tied to the top of your bike" as you're going down the road? Got any pix of that? And, won't the Goldwing crowd think we're horning in on their territory?

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #25 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 9:14 pm

Try these.
http://www.aerostich.com/product.php...cat=288&page=1
Otherwise stay away from cotton. Polypropylene is an excellent choice and there are multiple manufacturers using it. I have used it for riding, backpacking or anytime chafing could be an issue on hot humid days.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #26 of 54 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 11:37 pm

Go with the LD Comfort shorts. Order the correct size (not the size you wish you were, or were at one time) and there is no need to cut the elastic.

As stated, the fly mechanism is very user friendly ( I don't believe the UA even have a fly, makes pit stops a little awkward). Also as stated, when one gets to the motel at night, just take a shower with them on (soap 'em up), switch to a 2nd pair for the next day and get a Helen two wheels dry bag to let the damp pair dry off.

Yes they are expensive...goes with all the other expensive accessories and clothes one has for riding their $20K+ bike.

John F
Cincinnati, OH
post #27 of 54 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 9:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
[QUOTE=JOHNF]Go with the LD Comfort shorts. Order the correct size (not the size you wish you were, or were at one time) and there is no need to cut the elastic.

You can't be serious man! Unless you have thighs and legs like a sparrow, the LD shorts are gonna squeeze the life out of your legs. And thanks for the shopping advice. Guess I'll give up trying to squueez into that medium I wore in Jr. High.

IBA#22266
post #28 of 54 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:41 am

Exclamation

"Unless you have thighs and legs like a sparrow"

Hey there Todd - be careful - I'm a very sensitive guy. My wife calls my legs "birdwheels".

Seriously though, if you've got elastic bands anywhere that are putting an undue amount of pressure on your legs you COULD be at risk for DVT - deep vein thrombosis - which COULD cause you to throw a clot. A lot of Orthopedic Surgeons have noticed patients dying after tourniquets have been released after routine knee arthroscopies - which is considered low risk surgery. The tourniquets are placed in the exact same position on your leg as the elastic bands you are complaining about. I would toss those shorts in the trash. As crazy as it sounds, they COULD kill you.

DVT is especially aggravated by sitting in one position for a long time as well as having other risk factors like obesity, smoking, yadda yadda yadda...

I'm not a Doctor but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #29 of 54 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:46 am

Cool

[QUOTE=JOHNF]Go with the LD Comfort shorts. Order the correct size (not the size you wish you were, or were at one time) and there is no need to cut the elastic.

As Coni pointed out a few posts back, the Surgeon General of the Navy would tend to disagree with you about the elastic.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #30 of 54 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
I hear you Ron about the DVT. After my first day of riding with my LD's, I cut the elastic off the legs and now they are much better. I still prefer the UA's as I don't have any modifications to make and the price is right

IBA#22266
post #31 of 54 Old Nov 1st, 2005, 5:08 pm

Cool Anti-Wedgie and also Anti-Apebutt

I bought some "Wickers" brand after I read an article called "Combat Motorcycle Touring" in MCN and used them on a recent cross country trip and had no crack cramming or monkey butt. Wore them either directly under my Aerostitch or under regular jeans. You can buy shirts to go with them in a couple of different weights.
post #32 of 54 Old Nov 13th, 2005, 10:00 pm

Cool

Quote:
Ron, It's like you said. You get what you pay for. I tested them ALL. I know the difference, as do many other riders.

Have mercy on yourself.

Getting to the bottm of rider comfort.
post #33 of 54 Old Dec 29th, 2005, 7:58 am

Cool

I have UA's boxers, Nike Pro shorts, BCG shorts, Hanes.

My favorite for comfort is UA's, theese are different than exercise shorts, looser fit also has an opening for acess. Nike pro is my second choice for comfort.
The least expensive is Hanes stretch.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #34 of 54 Old Jan 1st, 2006, 5:29 pm

Cool Max gear

I would also look at the Cool Max gear at Road Runners Sports which is much cheaper than Under Armour. Go to the web site here:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-...rs/rrHome.jsp#

then, go to pages 18-19 in the online catalog.

I ride a road bike everyday and had considered riding my K1200 with the padded riding shorts but the Cool Max is more comfortable because it doesn't have the padding.

I ride mostly in southern Texas.
post #35 of 54 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:10 pm

Under Armour is the way to go

I rode to the US GP this summer from Detroit. Most of the ride was 90 to 105 degrees, the Under Armour breathes so you aren't sitting in your own sweat and you can wash them out in a hotel sink - they will air dry in only a few hours. So I had fresh skivvies every morning. I also wore an Under Armour t shirt under my jacket for the same reason.
post #36 of 54 Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:46 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Hey Dave... looks like you were in Death Valley in your picture. If you rode to the GP like I did from Vegas you were REALLY sweating... especially if you rode through DV... I'm going to buy what you're wearing.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #37 of 54 Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 2:54 am

And to add to the underwear melee........
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...st_display.htm
post #38 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 7:03 am

Must be just getting old I guess but I had the same issue a year or so back. I tried a bunch ... even the UA. The UA are OK but I find they so not stay put .... they crotch seems to slip down. Tried a few sizes in a few styles. An expensive way to find they do not work as hoped. I may try some of the loose fit boxers though. But the BEST I have found are the MSR Skins. Got the tip to try the MSR's from a buddy who races moto-cross. They work great and provide all day comfort.

http://www.motoworldracing.com/msr-06-shortskins.html

Ed Apelian
All it takes is an open road and an open mind!

'16 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
'18 R1200GS - Light White

When life throws you a curve ...lean into it!
post #39 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 8:09 am

Hane Tagless briefs work for me, no tags or hard seams. Less than 10 bucks for a 6 pack at Wally Word.
post #40 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 9:26 am

Thanks Ron. I've been searching for a solution myself and just order some of the Underarmour microfiber briefs. Hoping they are as comfy as you suggest.
post #41 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 9:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
Hane Tagless briefs work for me, no tags or hard seams. Less than 10 bucks for a 6 pack at Wally Word.
So long as they are NOT cotton. Cotton is not fun when it gets wet and sweaty. But whatever works for you ..... you need to stick with.

Ed Apelian

post #42 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 10:23 am

Talking

So........ Ron, ------ what color are they?

I just couldn't resist - my first post and I will be labeled a wise guy.

Earle
post #43 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

Talking Crack Cramming and Monkey Butt

This has been fun!
I also like the UA

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #44 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:02 am

Smile My Undies

You guys got to be the greatest! I am laughing so hard I can't type. "A pouch for your best Buddy" Can wait to her for the better half's side!!

This has to top the site for funnies so far this year!

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #45 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 11:58 am

Since this thread has re-surfaced I'd just like to put another plug in for "Pro Player" underware sold at J.C. Penny. Costs $15.00 a pair but can be found on-sale for less. I bought 4 pair when the were 20% off last month. A big improvement in my riding comfort.

regards
post #46 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 12:33 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehancock
my first post and I will be labeled a wise guy.
"Hello, my name is Earle . . ."

Oh, you're gonna fit right in.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #47 of 54 Old Feb 20th, 2006, 9:24 pm

under wear only when it's cold and only long johns. roomy pants, diamond gusset jeans. omurphy

Last edited by omurphy; Feb 20th, 2006 at 9:29 pm. Reason: to add more
post #48 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:34 pm

I spent my money on a KonTour seat so I can wear cheap cotton Paw Paw drawers. With the air flow through the seat I don't even have to stand up to fart.
post #49 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 9:51 pm

Quote:
I spent my money on a KonTour seat so I can wear cheap cotton Paw Paw drawers. With the air flow through the seat I don't even have to stand up to fart.
Hmmm that may be more information than we need to know!

Ed Apelian

post #50 of 54 Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 10:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I thought that was a major selling point of the KonTour seat, listed right there on their website. Or was that just a conversation with Ron?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in