Your Recommendation, please: Saddlebag Liners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 9:48 pm Thread Starter

Your Recommendation, please: Saddlebag Liners

All --

Looking for saddlebag liners for my LT. Would love to get a set of the BMW leather ones, but unless you have a used set for sale, they're not in the budget this time of year

What are your favorite saddlebag liners, and why are they your favorite? Which ones do you just simply hate, and why?

I'd only like to buy these once, and seek your communal wisdom in making a good choice up front.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 9:59 pm

BeemerBags

I like BeemerBags, made in USA by (holster guy) Gene DeSantis. Sold by www.cyclegadgets.com, great people.
The bags fit like hand in glove and are VERY strong, well made yet not stiff. They are flexible and easy to manipulate.
Priced similarly to the non-BMW competitors.
Good Luck,
Mark
post #3 of 32 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:01 pm

The previous owner of my bike threw in two Kathy's bags (available through Bob's BMW). I added a third saddlebag I bought from Cruiser Backrest. All are serviceable, but if I were starting from scratch I would give the Cee Bailey's bags a close look. The Beemerbags look nice too but I've not seen them up close.

post #4 of 32 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:28 pm

I have the Beemer Bags set at Cyclegadgets.com commented about above. They are first rate.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #5 of 32 Old Dec 15th, 2006, 11:30 pm
Super Moderator

I'll second the Kathy's recommendation. I've had a set for over 6 years and they've been great. I"ve had a topcase rack bag of hers for about 4 and it still is as waterproof as the day I bought it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #6 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 7:58 am

I have Kathys and I like them got the 3 bag set off E-bay for a great price

Dan
post #7 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:11 am

I have the Cee Bailey liners and like the fact that there is zipper access to the front of the bag as well as the back side of the bag. Helps to keep from jumbling everything up. I liked the quality so much that I have since ordered the top case liner also.

A high quality product at a competitive price.

Jamie
'02 K1200LTC
'82 R100RT
post #8 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrubbercow
I have the Beemer Bags set at Cyclegadgets.com commented about above. They are first rate.
A followup to my post last night............ I really like my Beemer Bags, however, I saw the Chicane bags at the CCR in Brasselton last fall and I would surely give them strong consideration. I liked them so much that I bought the Chicane tank bag.........looks and functionality are grade A.

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #9 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 8:27 am

Had bags but didn't really use them

I used the bags for a while, but over time came to use the side containers for items that stayed with the bike. I tend to use the top case for storing my helmet and other items needed for the trip but for the most part, stay with the bike.

I tend to use a good size waterproof duffel bag that I can quickly attach to the rear seat (2 permanent Raffy straps) for items that I carry into the motel or camp site.

Guess the bottom line for me is, NO liner bags.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 9:14 am

I guess it all depends on how much you what to spend. There are a ton of great options out there. I have the Kathy bags and love them. They have held up to everything I've thrown at them. They also didn't break my wallet.
post #11 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 9:37 am

I've got 2 BM pannier bags - when I go long distance touring, I use the LHS bag for my tent, sleeping bag, wind up torch & self inflating ground mat. RHS bag is for my personal stuff - clothes, wash gear etc. (I can get 3 pairs of jeans, 5 shirts, wash bag, socks & shreddies in there no -probs). Top case (trunk) I use for toys - cameras, wireless PDA (for internet access), battery chargers, digital radio, lunch, water, smokes, and possibly a prezzy for her on the way back. I love the bike looking the same when I'm going to the local shops, or down to the Sahara - there is just so much stowage space on the LT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tent.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	8752  

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #12 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 9:43 am

My bag liner usage may not be typical because when we travel we take the trailer.

My 2002 came with a set of BMW bags I only used them a couple of times,
My 2005 came with a set of RKA bags I've just recently started using them,

I keep our rain gear in the right side bag liner and a few extra cold weather gear accesories
(Gerbing jacket liners, scarves, gloves) in the left side liner as the exhaust warms them up nicely,
never really got the "hang " of using the top case bag, it just mostly got in the way.

As for the BMW liners, I sold them, for three times what you can get another set for.
they're nice but way overpriced unless you just gotta have that little roundell on your stuff.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #13 of 32 Old Dec 16th, 2006, 9:56 am
Gold Supporter

I have the three Kathy's bags and keep one bag filled and in the side bag all the time with first aid, tools, rain gear, etc. The other two I only use for trips. They were inexpensive and hold everything the others do. If you traveled a lot I think the Kathy bags would hold up well.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #14 of 32 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 7:48 am

Thumbs up to the Kathy bags; we have the "4" piece set that matches!

Price was affordable.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #15 of 32 Old Dec 17th, 2006, 1:29 pm

I would recommend Kathy's Bags.. I have all four. IMHO it really doesn't matter about the inside ones. Buy what you can afford as leather is overkill unless you want to make a statement at some fancy hotel.

The Kathy's bags are thin and don't take room but have convenient pockets for quick access. I leave one on the bike for all my extra liners, controls, extra gloves and whatever I leave on the bike all season. The rack bag is another thing. I strongly recommend Kathy's Rack Sack. If you have a OEM rack the sack fits perfectly, easy to get on and off, is expandable and almost waterproof. Problem is unless you place the top zipper ends on the low side of the back and park the bike on the side stand during a 'frog drowner'.. for hours ... DAMHIK... However without owner error the Rack Sack has been great. The best feature is it the expandability and of course the reflective strip..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #16 of 32 Old Dec 29th, 2006, 8:30 pm

Thumbs up RKA Bag Liners

I have been using the RKA bag liners since 2001 and have not had a single problem with them.
post #17 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 8:21 am

I have a set for my RT from these guys. I believe they make sets for the LT too. Quality seems good and the price was really good. Worth checking out I think. Good luck.

http://www.cruiserbackrest.com/
post #18 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:03 pm
BMW Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
All --

Looking for saddlebag liners for my LT. Would love to get a set of the BMW leather ones, but unless you have a used set for sale, they're not in the budget this time of year

What are your favorite saddlebag liners, and why are they your favorite? Which ones do you just simply hate, and why?

I'd only like to buy these once, and seek your communal wisdom in making a good choice up front.

There is a set of BMW bags in the classifieds right now

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #19 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 4:58 pm

Thumbs up

Another Thumbs up for Kathy's bags, bought from Roman's from Bob's.
Got 4 bag set. 2 riding seasons still in good shape.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #20 of 32 Old Jan 5th, 2007, 5:11 pm

CruiserBackrest Bestem USA, New in Box, Sold in a 3 pcs. Set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy5211
All --

This is what I have (Cruiserbackrest "BESTEM") and I have to say they are an exceptional value for the money: Bestem USA, New in Box, Sold in a 3 pcs. Set.
http://cruiserbackrest.com/k1200lt-c...ner-p-212.html
They have the CD or non-cd changer version.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #21 of 32 Old May 17th, 2007, 6:28 pm

Kathy's Bags for Me

3 BMW's and 3 sets of Kathy's bags. The many interior and exterior pockets makes them very handy. I broke a zipper pull when I slammed it while closing the lid. I sent the bag back and offered to pay for the repair and postage. I received the repaired bag back with a note from Kathy. There was no charge. She really does stand behind her lifetime warranty.
post #22 of 32 Old May 17th, 2007, 9:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewuff
I have the three Kathy's bags and keep one bag filled and in the side bag all the time with first aid, tools, rain gear, etc. The other two I only use for trips. They were inexpensive and hold everything the others do. If you traveled a lot I think the Kathy bags would hold up well.
Same thing here: I have Kathy's bags; keep 1 in the RHS filled with assorted bungees, straps, wife's rain gear, gloves, maps, owner's manuals, and other misc.-type stuff. I use the LHS and top case bags when traveling overnight. I've only used the entire set of 3 a few times, but they are simple, quality-built, and affordable.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #23 of 32 Old May 29th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Re: Your Recommendation, please: Saddlebag Liners

I just received a set of the RKA bag liners from A & S. I haven't used them so I cannot comment on durability. However, I am very disappointed in the quality of these bags. Very small zippers and light material. In my opinion, at $120 they are way over priced. I just want to give my opinion as ordering over the internet is always a bit of a guessing game.
post #24 of 32 Old May 29th, 2013, 10:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Send them back. Do it right now. You've already determined the quality, why use them to test for durability? You're bound to be disappointed.

Buy some cheap Chinese shit that has big zippers and thick material. They'll fall apart in a couple of weeks, but you'll have what you value.

Somebody like me will buy the RKA bags and use them day after day for ~25K miles, dragging them in and out of campgrounds and hotels and they will perform flawlessly.

Dropped, shoved across pavement with a boot, hung by the straps with too much in them, dumped in the dirt for want of a beer, and they just do what they're supposed to do.

Yeah, they're simple bags with no frills, but they're built well and the guys up in NorCal will stand behind them. I expect, though, that mine will easily last almost forever, so I'm not worried.

If you value that sort of thing.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650

Last edited by 12R12RT; May 29th, 2013 at 10:43 pm.
post #25 of 32 Old May 30th, 2013, 1:11 pm

Re: RKA Bag Liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyStanley
I have been using the RKA bag liners since 2001 and have not had a single problem with them.
+1.
post #26 of 32 Old May 30th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Apparently a person needs to be very careful about offering an opinion.
post #27 of 32 Old May 30th, 2013, 2:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

It was a weird opinion. You bought something from a company that's been building really good quality stuff for 30 years.

You opined that the quality was disappointing and that they were overpriced.

All this without having used them.

It's hard to figure out why you'd want to use them at all, given that you opened the box and thought them to be so poor in quality that you had to go on-line and make such an announcement.

Had you posted, instead, that you took them out for a few day's usage and found that the zippers jammed, or the seams failed, or the straps fell off, or they smelled funny, or all the foregoing and RKA said "too bad" your review would have been enlightening.

Your opinion is yours to have and you're very entitled to it. If it is accompanied by some observation, qualification, and comparison it will be respected.

Tom

12R12RT
08KLR685 - RIP
09KLR650
post #28 of 32 Old May 30th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Talking Re: Your Recommendation, please: Saddlebag Liners

Don't know if they're still available, Go on craigslist motorcycles BMW since some fellow had a complete set of leather bags including tank bag for $200.00.
For my 1150RT I used a set of BESTEM and never had a problem in four years. In fact I just bought another set for my LT.
post #29 of 32 Old May 31st, 2013, 4:32 pm

Bought a set off ebay, they don't have any identifying brand name tag on them but they are very well made. IIRC, about $65 for the 3 bag set. They are a green color, sorry I can't give you any more info than that, just to say that if you try ebay that you look at the pictures and the seller's feedback rating. You'll get a feel if they're cheap or if they are something worthwhile. You don't have to spend $150 for a quality bag set.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #30 of 32 Old Nov 16th, 2013, 9:59 am

Been very pleased with my RKA liners. Granted I have only had them for a year+ and 22k, but I just recommended a set to my brother. Never owned any other types, so I don't have anything to compare them to however.

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #31 of 32 Old Nov 16th, 2013, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a set of Kathy's saddlebag liners and the top rack case. I used them on a couple of long trips over last summer and was pleased with them. I use the top rack case to carry rain gear, the bike cover, cleaning rags, and any other miscellaneous stuff I want to access easily - it also comes with a shoulder strap that was handy, allowing one trip from the bike to the motel room with all your things.
post #32 of 32 Old Nov 16th, 2013, 10:50 pm

I own a complete set of RKA-Luggage for my 2009 LT. They work great. Three years of use and no issues. They are made on site in Windsor, CA. several miles from me. I personally would not own anything else. Good luck choosing.

L. Jay Keeran
K6LJK
2009 LT "USS Defiant"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in