Klim or Aerostitch? One piece or two?

Ready, set, go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2017, 12:00 pm

Garage
Re: Helmet and gear advice

I have a modular and love it.

I've heard enough about aerostitch to want one. I'm saving my allowance to get one. I've decided on a one piece so I can easily wear it to work and step out when I get there.

2000 R1100RT
post #3 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2017, 12:07 pm

Welcome to the forum. What you are asking will be answered differently by all people on the forum who have any preference. Any gear is better than no gear. Both Klim and Aerostich are good brands with a good reputation so I would buy the one that fits you best and gives you the least reason to not wear it all the time one or two piece.

ATGATT

The helmet is the same. It needs to fit properly and be comfortable and have DOT approval and go from there. I like a modular helmet myself but the only real drawbacks I am concerned with are it getting caught while up on something, breaking your neck on a get off where you may bounce off or slide by with far less damage using a full face non-modular. With cycle gear, it more often than not gets better with higher price so buy the best you can afford that you will wear consistently.

Don't be those guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AGATT-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	134058  

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2017, 1:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sponserv View Post

Ready, set, go!
i have Klim and Rukka, and i prefer rukka.... my friend has Klim and Aerostitch, and he prefers the Klim due to its versatility. we once did a ride from los angeles to glacier nat. park and it rained 70% of the time, (windy and hail) just horrible weather, and my buddy in Aerostitch didn't feel a thing~ he was just complaining what hassle it was to go to the bathroom....
post #5 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2017, 1:40 pm

Choose what you will actually wear. I ride my bike to do everything from a run to the store to get milk to hundreds of miles in a day. I'm not going to wear a full leather suit to run to the store or run errands around town. So, I went with gear that provides acceptable protection depending on the riding I am doing. I also ride in 34-110 degree weather and wanted gear that will work in a wide range of temperatures.

Having seen myself in a full neoprene suit for diving...I don't need a tight leather riding suit. But, that's just me. You need to choose what is right for you and your riding.

Here is a company that makes and sells leather suits and other leather motorcycle gear.

One great thing about riding a bike these days is there are options galore for protective equipment. You can get an air bag jacket if you want.

I use a Modular helmet and am very happy with it. I always ride with the chin bar down.

Current Ride: '02 LT - The Mistress

Last edited by guitarjim; Sep 26th, 2017 at 1:50 pm.
post #6 of 12 Old Sep 26th, 2017, 4:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I wear a Shoei Neotec modular helmet and a Hi-Viz Aerostich Roadcrafter suit. Prior to that, I had a Tourmaster Air 3 jacket and pants, but didn't like wearing the pants or putting on or taking off the insulated or rain inserts, as it was easier to just wear the jacket and hope for the best. I got rid of the Tourmaster gear, and a couple of years ago, I wore the Neotec and 'Stich gear up to the '15 Curve Cowboy Reunion in Coeur d'Alene, ID, and it rained from the Northern CA border, all through Oregon and Washington - I never got wet. After the CCR, I rode up to British Columbia, across Alberta, dropping down to Glacier Park, all in rain or drizzle, with snow in Glacier Park, and didn't get wet again nor cold (except for my hands where the heated grips helped out tremendously). The only issue with the 'Stich is in temperatures over about 85, but their are additional solutions which have been comfortable up to about 115F.

As an alternative to the Roadcrafter suit, I would also consider a Motoport riding suit which is very highly regarded (and priced accordingly).

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 8:56 am

I am fan of modular helmets, first one owned was a Shoei Neotec, great helmet but a bit pricey. I wore this helmet for 5 years and decided it was time to retire it and after extensive research ended up with a Scorpion EXO AT-950 and have no regrets. This helmet is every bit as comfortable and has all the same great features as the Neotec at a fraction of the cost.

As far as gear, never owned a one piece suite so can't speak to that. I do like having separate pants/jacket because it offers additional flexibility. Fwiw, living in Hawaii I don't need gear for cold weather. I have a Klim Induction jacket and Olympia Air Glide 4 pants and give them both two thumbs up. On a recent trip through the US southwest I saw temps ranging from 45 - 114 degrees on the same day and the mesh gear on a wethead RT performed very well.
post #8 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 9:22 am

Garage

The modulars are said to be not as "protective" as a full face but almost every helmet manufacturer now makes at least one model. The HJC modular that I bought last year is noisier than my Shoei full face helmet but the HJC is still my "go to" in the summer heat because I can flip the entire front of the helmet up to get some air when I am stopped and I also don't have to take it off when gettting gas, dabbing my runny nose, scratching my beard, conversing with riding partners when stopped, etc.. I do wear ear plugs but even with the ear plugs, the HJC modular is noisier - mostly wind noise.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)
post #9 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 11:26 am

Quote:
Modular helmet? If so which one?

Ready, set, go!
I've been using modular helmets for the past ten years, Shuberth C2, Showing Neotec and now an x-lite 1004.
They're a bit noisier than full face but well worth it for the convenience, if you wear prescription glasses and when you want to talk to someone. I don't believe they're any less safe than a fullface as long as they meet DOT or ECE certification. The more expensive brands have metal locking mechanism.

That being said, get a helmet that fits you.

Suits, I have a 2 piece Stitch. I considered getting the one piece and I am glad I got the two piece version. Whenever I stop while touring, go for lunch, etc. I love being able to just remove the jacket. I now only wear the pants, with the optional bib, in the spring or fall or if very foul weather is coming my way.

I haven't found the perfect all weather suit yet. Goretex is well worth the expense. Rain suits are a pain.
post #10 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:26 pm

Garage

Quote:
Modular helmet? If so which one?

Ready, set, go!
I have a Shoei Neotec modular. I highly recommend it.
post #11 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

I always wear earbuds for music and hearing protection. How loud is wind noise in the neotec? Anyone have the Sena U10 system in a Neotec?
post #12 of 12 Old Sep 27th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Garage

Quote:
I always wear earbuds for music and hearing protection. How loud is wind noise in the neotec? Anyone have the Sena U10 system in a Neotec?
I have the Sena 20S in my Neotec. Works great. As for wind noise, to me personally, I find the helmet to be quieter than the others I've tried...but honestly just still too loud for my liking. Fortunately I ride an RT so I can mitigate that quite a bit by adjusting my windscreen height and also not using the vent on the top off the helmet. The good news is the vent works great! The bad news is that it creates so much wind noise that I can't stand it. I suppose if I wasn't using the speakers then it wouldn't be so bothersome. Your idea of using earplugs would solve the problem entirely. Still....when compared to other helmets (modular) the Neotec I think is hard to beat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in