Help installing Chicane EX LT bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:09 am Thread Starter

Help installing Chicane EX LT bag

I just got a new Chicane Canyon EX bag for my LT. The loop that is supposed to go around the latch on the radio cover is either too small or the material is too thick. No way can I get the cover to close with the Chicane bag attached. On the other hand, the loop on my little BMW LT tankbag allows me to close the cover with no problem whatsoever. Has anyone else had this problem, and what fix did you come up with? I emailed Chicane but got no response.

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:17 am

I have the same problem. I dremeled a bit of material off the lid where the loop goes. It helped a bit, but it is still a pain in the @$$ to close the lid. Iíve found that it helps to expand the bag and putting my hand inside, push it forward while pressing down. It gives the loop a bit more play as the lid shuts. I hope in time the loop will become more flexible and make it easier to close the lid.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Just read what I wrote here in post # 14
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...nkbag+mounting
works for me

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 3:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Ditto what Hans said. Also the pin on the lid is ever so slightly adjustable. I loosend the screw and moved it out (down?) and then tightened it back up. That seemed to help.

I did not do the full velcro across the front and the two little pieces always peel up so I think I will re-do it with the full strip across like in the photo that Joe posted the link.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 5:26 pm Thread Starter

Impatient in Cleveland...

I filed off little half moons next to the latch, but that didn't help. I might be a little more patient with this bag, but I find the map pocket useless (for holding anything in larger than a postcard), and when you put the raincover on it covers up the darned thing. This is one point where the little BMW bag has it over on everyone else as far as I can tell - their raincover has a clear top so you can continue to see the map in the rain.

Anyone know of a 3-point attaching bag with a decent sized map pocket (at least 5" x10" and preferably a little wider) and a rain cover that lets you continue to use the map? (I figure I'll need this on my trip to Alaska next summer.) I'd like something large enough to include my SLR, GPS, glasses, Treo, wallet, etc., that I can easily take off when I leave the bike unattended. A three point attachment like the Cortech Super Mini uses makes this a snap - too bad it's too small and that the raincover covers up the map window...

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75
post #6 of 8 Old Dec 7th, 2006, 5:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjg4
I filed off little half moons next to the latch, but that didn't help. I might be a little more patient with this bag, but I find the map pocket useless (for holding anything in larger than a postcard), and when you put the raincover on it covers up the darned thing. This is one point where the little BMW bag has it over on everyone else as far as I can tell - their raincover has a clear top so you can continue to see the map in the rain.

Anyone know of a 3-point attaching bag with a decent sized map pocket (at least 5" x10" and preferably a little wider) and a rain cover that lets you continue to use the map? (I figure I'll need this on my trip to Alaska next summer.) I'd like something large enough to include my SLR, GPS, glasses, Treo, wallet, etc., that I can easily take off when I leave the bike unattended. A three point attachment like the Cortech Super Mini uses makes this a snap - too bad it's too small and that the raincover covers up the map window...
This Might be close...

http://rka-luggage.com/A08%20BMW/K1200LT/K1200LT.html

The map holder is perfect for streets and trips map printouts.
I've used it in the rain without the raincover without maps getting too wet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	k1200LTssminxObi.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	8584  

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 12:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
These tank bags are quite popular with Long Distance riders. I don't know if she has anything specific for the LT, but she can make anything you want.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Narrowing it down...

Thanks to Michael and Ken I have concluded that although the Chicane is a great bag, it's not well suited for my purposes, so I'm putting it up for sale in the Classifieds forum.

I'm going to investigate the RKA and Linda's custom bags, and the Chase Harper bags, all of which seem better designed for my purposes. Maybe I'll put up another post once I get it all figured out...

Wally Gingerich
Cleveland, OH
2001 K1200LT
1999 R1100RS
1994 K75

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in