Trunk Bags - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

Trunk Bags

I've been looking at many of the threads and some Googling and have found the following; Kathy's, Chicane, Mag's and RKA (more?). It appears that Kathy's and RKA are very specific to BMW and more specifically the LT. I have the OEM side liners, I'm also wondering if a trunk liner would be good, (thinking YES) ... not sure I'd like to 'split' for the $$ on the OEM one however.

Pros and Cons?? Recommendations?? Stories??

Thanks in advance,

Dave Frederick
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Dave, I bought the OEM top bag in Nov 99, and have used it maybe during about 50 overnights. I pack all our folded items and cosmetic small bags in it. It let's you fill up all the available cubic inches in the top case. The large rear pocket holds folders with travel papers etc. The adjustable shoulder strap works fine to carry the bag into hotels. It still looks new. I also have both side bags, and an expandable rack bag for two up trips away from the local area. HTH's Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #3 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 9:51 pm

I have Kathy's bags for all 3 pieces on my LT. I understand that the BMW bags are leather (Kathy's are fabric), and I've been told they are easier to pack/unpack/repack because they stand up on their own -- hold their own shape, as it were. Having used my set of Kathy's bags on a trip I would agree that would be a desirable quality in these things.

Still, they are a lot cheaper than BMW's. If you have the $$ go with BMW. If you don't care about the above save your money and go with Kathy's or others.
You can find the BMW bags on eBay and here (Classifieds forum) from time to time.

To answer your question: Yes, having the bag (any brand) for the top case is a good move. Very useful.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:29 pm

post #5 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 10:29 pm

Cee Bailey's

I have the Cee Bailey's set and they are just fine.....

Have used them four or five times now and they still look new..

I really think it depends on what kind of person you are..

If you have to have the best, then get the BMW bags..

If not, Then I think all the others are probably comparable...

So it really boils down to price...At the time the CB's were about the least expensive on the net and I really don't believe they're any different from the other brands as far as quality is concerned.

I spent my money on a 2730 and an Intaride setup......And some Mick-O-Pegs and some HID's and some Hella DE's and some new tires. And a trailer, And a hitch, And a Seat, And a top case rack. And a Mags bag for that. and some.... and some.... and some.....

Get it ???

Good Luck

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:05 pm

There's only ONE choice.

I've owned just about every other brand of liners for the LT, and NOTHING compares to the BMW liners. The fact that you already have their saddlebag liners tells me that you will be very disappointed with any other brand for the trunk. I guarantee it. (Feel free to PM me for the list of liners that I tried.)

Currently, I have non-OEM liners for my saddlebags on the GT. This winter, I will be replacing them with BMW liners . . . as well as buying the BMW liner for the trunk. I'm worth it. And so are you.
post #7 of 11 Old Dec 5th, 2006, 11:09 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yes the BMW liners are expensive, but they work very well. I just had them thrown in for free when I bought the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 11 Old Dec 8th, 2006, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
I spent my money on a 2730 and an Intaride setup......And some Mick-O-Pegs and some HID's and some Hella DE's and some new tires. And a trailer, And a hitch, And a Seat, And a top case rack. And a Mags bag for that. and some.... and some.... and some.....

Get it ???

Good Luck

John
GOT IT! ... in this line of thought, and I don't necessarily want to make this a trailer discussion thread, but, do you have one? Which one? or which one(s) are you considering ...

This is certainly 'another' answer to the space 'crunch' ... I've been debating (and I realize these really don't compare, due to actual volume, weight, etc that the trailer could / can handle vs the top of the trunk / rack bag) the 'issues' with trailers and the rack bag. I KNOW I'll not need the rack bag IF I get a trailer, but the liabilities of the trailer (existing bike warranty, warnings from the dealer, etc) keep me from considering this seriously.

On the other hand, the rack bag(s) ... and the rack itself appear to VERY light duty 'stuff' hauling. The magbags 'claim' 31 liters of space ... that is basically doubling the trunk size, realizing the rack is definitely not 'rated' for the weight of the actual trunk.

Anyway, John ... really appreciate your insight.
Respectfully,

Dave Frederick

Clinton UT
'05 Light Yellow Metallic LT

'05 Monochromatic Mulberry Red Triumph Rocket III

'12 Triple Black R1200GSA
post #9 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 5:38 pm

I bought Kathy's Bags when I bought my LT two years ago. I have yet to use the bag for the top trunk. I pack very little in the trunk because I like to keep the weight as low as possible. When riding by myself I do have the platform that fits over my passenger set. I like to have the trunk to store my riding gear in when I make a stop.
post #10 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:03 pm

The OEM bags on my 2000 LT are fabric.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #11 of 11 Old Dec 14th, 2006, 6:16 pm

I bought a Zenith Trailer from Dauntless Motors and a Dauntless Hitch. Here is another picture, other than my Avatar, of me pulling it on the Dragon on my way to the CCR this year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2332small.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	8722  

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in