Protective gear and knee armor - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By PadG
  • 1 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2017, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Protective gear and knee armor

Greetings All , I was involved in a accident a few weeks ago at 1:30 on a sunny day going through a small town on a 2 lane road. I was following 2 cars at 30 mph. Can't recall how for back. A car pulled out from a gas station on my right. No time to react. My front wheel hit the left front fender just in front of the wheel. I flew over the bike and car 25 ft per accident report. I had on tourmast jacket / pants flex series gear , helmet , boots and gloves. I landed on my knees , left elbow and right hand. No road rash. Did break both knee caps. Surgery to put screws in the rt and a mesh on the shattered left. Also right hand bruised. Ding on the helmet. All witnesses said "I can't believe he wasn't dead". I said the gear saved my ass.
The jacket has a nice rub on the left elbow and the armor did its job. It was my choice to remove the knee armor for comfort. I have spoken with a few riders and they have also removed the knee armor for comfort. My advice leave it in. Could it have prevented broken knee caps ? I will never know but always wonder. Time will tell if I have permanent issues.
Stitches out and healing nicely. Slowly building muscles and range of motion.
So my question is how many wear protective gear with all the armor in them ?
Thanks have a happy riding day. Have to re avaluate in the spring. Bike total , 2012 R1200Rt. Got a fair price from insurance and I have attorney.

Speed doesn't kill - Sudden impact does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Garage
Re: Protective gear and knee armor

Sorry to hear of your encounter, random excrement DOES occur. I got rear-ended by a semi when I was stopped for a traffic light - nothing I could do.

One of the only reason I wear motorcycle pants is the knee and hip protection.

ATGATT...............
Ski

2016 BMW R1200RT in Ebony Metallic
1981 BMW R100RT in Forest Green
Honda 550 Four
Suzuki 250
Honda 175
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2017, 7:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I always wear my Aerostich Roadcrafter suit, but without the chest and back protectors. The only time the armor is removed is when it's washed. Sorry to hear about your accident, but glad you weren't too seriously injured!

I also have Clearwater Darla lights mounted in place of the stock GTLE fog lamps and they run during the day at 30% brightness. When you flash the high beams three times, the Darlas fast flash for about three seconds at 85% (full brightness is 2,000 lumens per light). The yellow lens caps really show up, and I've had people in front of me pull over thinking I'm an emergency vehicle. ATGATT

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2017, 8:51 pm

Glad your injures weren't any worse and that you are on the mend. I don't have the best gear but It has all of what came in it as far as armor for knees, back elbows, hips etc. Not all of it is as comfortable as I might like but I have read enough go down stories to know it is there for a reason. ATGATT

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 11th, 2017, 9:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Glad to hear you are on the mend and your gear made the difference.

I have the BMW Comfort Shell jacket/pants and always wear them for riding. The pants do have hip and knee armor and I do keep it in at all times. I particularly like the knee armor because it completely surrounds the sides and front of the knee. My body temperature keeps the armor reasonably pliable to it's pretty comfortable.

My protective gear also includes a Schuberth C3 helmet, Aerostitch elk roper gloves and Daytona GTX riding boots.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2017, 12:53 am

Garage

Sorry to hear about your misfortune - especially the knees.

You will now be able to tell when the weather changes! (I have a trimmed kneecap cartilage from being knocked down as a kid, but that is another story!)

I wear everything virtually all the time. I have a couple of casual trousers with armour in the knees for when it is very hot, otherwise I wear the old Streetguard trousers. If it is supposed to have protection - it stays in.

Hope you recover quickly, and climb back aboard.

Best regards
Sleuth

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2017, 6:35 am

Garage

Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you were ok. I'll be honest, I have Kevlar jeans that I have taken the armor out of. I did it because they're intended to wear like normal jeans. I'm aware that I'm taking a risk doing so though. Hopefully you heal well.

2000 R1100RT
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2017, 8:32 am
Lifetime Supporter

Very sorry to hear about the accident, and I am glad that you came out of it relatively OK. Special thanks for posting this to warn others!

I always keep all armors in place, and always ride ATGATT, even if I get strange looks from the HD and Wing riders, as well as strange look from car drivers when I stop for gas on hot days! I am a firm believer that additional lights do prevent accidents that you had just experienced. I had added a pair of Clearwater Krista, mounted down low and always on at 30%, when I bought my '15 RT in 2014. Since then, I have noticed numerous occasions when car drivers would start to enter the road in front of me, then suddenly brake to a stop, presumably because they had suddenly seen me with that extra pair of bright lights down low. I had never seen anything like that when I was riding my prior '07 RT, without the extra lights.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 12th, 2017, 10:35 am

Hope you heal quickly and completely.

I do retain the armor in my Motoport kevlar gear. I also wear it everytime I ride, no matter the distance. I have been seriously considering the airvests that several of the members of my club now wear. Saw them at the MOA rally and would have been wearing one home if they had had my size. Not that it would have made any difference with the injuries you sustained.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

post #10 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2017, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Best wishes for a full recovery; thanks for sharing! I now live in Arizona and have been tempted to ditch the ATGATT for something cooler and the knee armor in most riding pants gets really hot and uncomfortable on even short rides. However, I hate the idea of not being able to ride a motorcycle due to an injury from a crash and I dont like pain; so, even when it is 110 degrees outside, I wear All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT).

Bob in the Sonoran Desert

2018 R1200RT Option 719 (Planet Blue Metallic)
2016 S1000XR (White) sold
2014 S1000R (Matt Blue) sold
2008 R1200RT (Biarritz Blue) sold
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 15th, 2017, 8:59 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I upgraded all of my protective pads in all of my gear to CE Level 2 D30 from Klim 2 years ago after I totaled my 2004 LT at about 25 MPH. The foam hip pad on my Olympia gear didn't do much to protect my hip. I would never remove any protective pads on any of my protective gear.
JNW003 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2017, 3:26 pm

Garage

I must echo most every responder to this post. I commute daily in Los Angeles and take several long trips every year. My go to is a Roadcrafter light in summer and a regular Roadcrafter in winter with all pads. I also have the Clearwater Krista's with amber lenses in order to see and be seen. I've been riding for 40 years without a serious injury, so since most of my luck has been used up, I had better cover my ass!
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2017, 9:00 pm

Garage

Kneepads usuallly roll to the sides, so I ditched them. MOTGMOTT.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in