Gerbings vs Warm and Safe liners - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter
Gold Supporter

Garage
Gerbings vs Warm and Safe liners

I'm interested in hearing choices for liners. The Warm and Safe seems to be a good choice but can it be worn after the ride as your hotel jacket? Or any of the two good for wind protection? Which one would you buy again and why?

Thanks, Graydude

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 4:38 pm

When shopping for my heated gear, I had several people PM me that owned both brands. Gerbing's was the unanimous winner, as far as heat output was concerned. The Warm and Safe was slightly more comfortable. As far as a "hotel jacket", umm...I'd say that both "liners" wouldn't really work for this purpose. That may be subjective.
post #3 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 5:14 pm

I have a Gerbing's liner and although I don't have the Warm & Safe liner, from the pictures, I would rate the the Gerbing's as having more of a normal jacket look. The regular liner that came with my Darien is even nicer than the Gerbing's regarding appearance, but doesn't have electric heat. I learned later that Gerbing's can put heat into other jackets, although I doubt you would get the nice little zippered pockets in the sleeves for glove wire connections.

post #4 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 5:24 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
My Warm & Safe liner works well and has made the ride much more pleasant on numerous occasions. It is warm, fits well (the unique stretch panels in the arms and sides do help), and packs well. I hear good things about the Gerbings products, less good things about their business practices.

I think the ultimate heated liner would have a wind-blocking outer layer, followed by a thin fleece layer, then the wires, then a thin inner shell. That would make it slightly bulkier to pack, but less bulky to wear (can eliminate other layers), and also make it useful even when not plugged in. I think the Aerostitch vest comes close to that, but it is only a vest, and not quite as warm as the other options.

Whatever liner you go with, do get the Warm & Safe HeaTroller to control it. That is simply the best controller out there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
I'm interested in hearing choices for liners. The Warm and Safe seems to be a good choice but can it be worn after the ride as your hotel jacket? Or any of the two good for wind protection? Which one would you buy again and why?

Thanks, Graydude

I have personal experience with three different brands of heated colthing:

Gerbings
Powerlet
Widder

Gerbings is without a doubt, the highest quality of the three, but all of them function just fine. I would go with a full jacket liner with heated sleeves and collar rather than a vest.

Best of luck with your purchase....

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #6 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 3:19 pm

Both my wife and I have the Gerbing liners and we love them.
We had vests but our arms would get cold.

One thing about the Gerbings is that they pack very well.
I would not want a outside windbreaker or any liner with it.
It takes up less space that our vests did when packed.
post #7 of 13 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 6:09 pm

...and I'm still trying to decide on a full liner with heated arms or the vest..
peeps have been tellin me that a vest is all I'll need...hmmm
post #8 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 4:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by graydude
Whether it be Widder, Gerbing, or Warm-n-safe, each offers specific features.
Having owned several over the years, I'd say that a good approach is deciding what you need a heated garment for ie which characteristics are important to you. Then it's simply a process of going out and buying the one that best meets your criteria. That's what I do.

hth,

Bruno
Montreal, Canada
http://pages.videotron.com/mcrides

Gerbing Cascade Extreme jacket review
:

Last edited by Seeker; Jan 20th, 2007 at 4:36 pm.
post #9 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 5:38 pm

I bought the Gerbing's liner, powered by the Heat-Troller (Warm-n-Safe) permanently mounted thermostat. Being cold natured, I went with the liner rather than a vest.

I have always read that the Gerbings puts out more heat that most other brands but I think the Warm-n-Safe has similar if not higher output. Other riders have used the word "volcanic" to describe the Gerbings' output. I found that to be a little bit of an overstatement. For most weather, the Gerbings is adequate.

The Warm-n-Safe has stretchy panels that may have the effect of keeping the heating elements closer to your body; that would keep you warmer. Based on the pictures, the drawback may be that the Warm-n-Safe may look less like a "normal" jacket.

I often shed my Darien "shell" and walk around in the Gerbing's liner. It looks like a light jacket (assuming you tuck the power lead into the inside pocket rather than letting it dangle). I wouldn't like to try wearing either jacket while going through airport security.

Gerbings added a Thinsulate layer to its "unlined" jacket liners. I have found this to add a little bit of warmth, even before the liner is turned on. Not sure whether the Warm-n-Safe has this feature.

I would have loved having the opportunity to try both liners before buying but no one carries the Warm-n-Safe locally. You might try finding a local rider who would let you "test drive" an example of each.
post #10 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 8:15 pm

I have Warn-n-Safe. I looked at Gerbing and I felt that close fit was very important to keep the liner in contact with your 'shaped' body. If you by a Gerbing you need to try them on and can't change your size very much before the jacket is not sized properly. That is the main reason I went with Warn-N-Safe.

Originally I used a leather jacket over my Warn-N-Safe and without a liner in the jacket under the arms and on the side of the body.. where the expansion panels are there is no heat. I found that riding in the 40's brought that out. If that is how you will ride.. consider that.. I have switched to a fabric jacket and with the Warn-N-Safe I ride to the 30's without the winter liner in my jacket. It's too warm with the real jacket liner installed.

I picked the portable controller and if I had to do it over again I would get a permanently mounted one.

I would not consider the Warn-n-safe to be a light jacket.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #11 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 8:44 pm

Guess I'm the odd-man out here. I use the Aerostitch Kinetsu windblock heated jacket/liner. Amazing, uniform warmth, reversable nylon or fleece (fleece transmits less heat than the nylon, so two distinct temps), and fully usable as a "hotel" jacket. The switched cord stores in its own pocket. I've not needed a Heat-troller; if I need less heat, I wear it fleece-side in. Works great under any roomy street jacket without the standard liner down to 25 degrees or so. At which point, my toes fall off...

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...s-p-16523.html

pg
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 20th, 2007, 9:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarter
I often shed my Darien "shell" and walk around in the Gerbing's liner. It looks like a light jacket (assuming you tuck the power lead into the inside pocket rather than letting it dangle). I wouldn't like to try wearing either jacket while going through airport security.
That is NOT a problem! I did it twice last year flying out of LAX with my Gerbing liner on. I actually kept it on while going through the metal detector... and not alarm went off nor did any overzealous security agent tackle me to the floor . The real PITA was removing my riding boots!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 13 Old Feb 1st, 2007, 6:00 am

I've had 2 gerbing liners; the newer generation with the lined collar is much more comfortable. I'll echo some other posters that the heat troller from warm and safe is the way to go.

I've used the portable and now have the mounted dual controller and have to say the permanently mounted is the way to go.

I commute every day of the year except for ice/snow in the DC area so I do see some low (single digit) commute days each year. I've had the setup on 2 different bikes and have found a few things.

Get the dual zone jacket i.e. gloves/jacket on 2 separate circuits. I often find my hands/torso need differing heat levels, and its nice to be uniformly comfortable =).

Wind is your biggest heat robber. If you can do some things to get yourself out of the wind do it... like bigger wind screen/hand guards etc.

when I swapped from old bike to new bike, I found that at temps the old bike needed 100% heat from the liner, the new bike I could ride w/o heat for 30 min without discomfort. Same thing with gloves. However there is a new wind pattern on the new bike that directs ALOT more air onto my legs and they get cold much sooner on the new bike... on hand gives, the other seems to take.

I've got both the gerbing gloves (classics), and their glove liners. The liners are a bit of a PITA to put on, but are SOOOOO much nicer than the gloves that I find I use them a lot. The gloves have a bit of a problem after 4 years that the insulation seems to have crushed down in the finger tips and there are cold spots. Also the gloves never seemed to keep my thumbs as warm as I'd like. With the glove liners I have no such problem. As 100% of the heat is put inside the outer glove my hands stay very evenly warm with no hot spots. Plus I can wear the liners under any kind of glove. I've got a nice pair of rain gloves that are 100% water proof, but have no insulation. I can add the heated liners, and makes for a more pleasant 40 and raining day.

I also have an AeroStitch heated liner for my Darrien jacket. Its heat output is very much less than the gerbing. However its always with my darrien on those cooler days, and it makes for a nice insurance policy when you are out later than expected and its starts turning cool.

I find the gerbing alone gives me about 15-20 degrees more comfort. If the gear I have on would have me comfortable w/o heat at 50, I can go to 35-40 with the heat on. The aerostitch only provides about 5-10 which if you read the catalog the say 5-15. The nice part about the aerostitch is that you can get it in a nice heavy weight fleece which makes for a very nice windproof layer in any layering setup.

Of all the jackets/liners only the Aerostitch could be used for casual wear and not look like you are in your bike duds.

Id buy the gerbing or aerostitch again, but each serves a specific purpose, and as long as you use it for its purpose are all good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in