Any Thouhts On The Roadcrafter Hi-viz? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Any Thouhts On The Roadcrafter Hi-viz?

Am thinking about getting one of the Hi-Viz yellow suits this spring.
I like the extreme colour and it does really jump out.
My 14year old daughter saw pants in that colour and thought they were really cool.
I hear that the roadcrafter stuff is good and I like the one piece concept. Does anyone have anything specific to say about experiences with the HI-Viz or are they off the radar of most who are looking for new gear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Only draw back I have ever heard of is that the Hi-Viz Yellow is very hard to keep clean OR shows dirt much more than other colors.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #3 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
Only draw back I have ever heard of is that the Hi-Viz Yellow is very hard to keep clean OR shows dirt much more than other colors.
I heard that as well, but that it keeps on working and that eventually you get used to it.

post #4 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 2:01 pm
Ted

I have the red roadcrafter with grey tirm. Picked red for visibility, thought about the hi-viz yellow but just too extreme for me.

The suits are a little bulky - and sometimes I feel like Santa, but, once broken-in they are very comfy and versatile. Also, in 3 1/2 years have had very few instances (really just 1 and I think the kid was stoned) of being cut-off due to folks not seeing me. For comparison, I also have a black BMW Venting Machine jacket and pants (about 5 months) too, and have not been in any incidents, either. Both the BWM & Roadcrafter use reflective materials which help at night, too.

Anyway - the hi-viz may be overkill - but, if you like it (and more importantly your daughter thinks it's cool) and ride in more foggy or rainy conditions then by all means go for it.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 2:17 pm

I have a Hi-Viz Darien jacket and like it very much. I get lots of comments about how visible it is. I wash it every few months and I think that keeps the grime at bay. I think the Iron-Butt/Adventure Tourer types wear road grime as a badge of honor so if you look dingy you are in good company.
post #6 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 5:00 pm

I've seen the hi-viz Roadcrafters in use. Yes, they stick out just like they are supposed to. 2 photos from STC are attached, showing rider and passenger in hi-viz Roadcrafters.

Tried on a hi-viz Olympia jacket today; have you considered that? I think my face is sunburned from wearing it! I asked the dealer if the batteries were included; he didn't think that was funny.

Roadcrafter is on my radar and I hope to visit their facility some time. Another one-piece option to consider is Rev-it; they are coming out with a one-piece suit sometime during the first quarter of 2007. Finally, something else to consider for hi-viz products are uniform stores for law-enforcement and fire dept.-types. Roy Tailors is a Cincinnati-based company w/a facility in Columbus; they sell all types of uniform stuff, including Blauer hi-viz gear to local PDs. I'm going to pay them a visit soon, because a LEO with whom I was in a ride last weekend wore one of their hi-viz jackets; he was a mile ahead of me and man he was visible; easily the brightest hi-viz I've seen anywhere, but keep in mind it's rain gear, not motorcycle-specific with the usual armor, pockets, etc. There may be something similar near you.

Check out Blauer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2912_small.JPG
Views:	1310
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	8329   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT2913_small.JPG
Views:	2857
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	8330  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #7 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 7:37 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I've seen the hi-viz Roadcrafters in use. Yes, they stick out just like they are supposed to. 2 photos from STC are attached, showing rider and passenger in hi-viz Roadcrafters.

Tried on a hi-viz Olympia jacket today; have you considered that? I think my face is sunburned from wearing it! I asked the dealer if the batteries were included; he didn't think that was funny.

Roadcrafter is on my radar and I hope to visit their facility some time. Another one-piece option to consider is Rev-it; they are coming out with a one-piece suit sometime during the first quarter of 2007. Finally, something else to consider for hi-viz products are uniform stores for law-enforcement and fire dept.-types. Roy Tailors is a Cincinnati-based company w/a facility in Columbus; they sell all types of uniform stuff, including Blauer hi-viz gear to local PDs. I'm going to pay them a visit soon, because a LEO with whom I was in a ride last weekend wore one of their hi-viz jackets; he was a mile ahead of me and man he was visible; easily the brightest hi-viz I've seen anywhere, but keep in mind it's rain gear, not motorcycle-specific with the usual armor, pockets, etc. There may be something similar near you.

Check out Blauer.
Great suit but the hi-vis guy's pants are 4-6" to short..

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #8 of 15 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray
Great suit but the hi-vis guy's pants are 4-6" to short..
Good call. My guess (pure speculation) is that he bought it as a best-guess, size-wise, and didn't return it for the correct fit. Maybe he bought it secondhand...?

I've been told if you get it to fit correctly -- as though you are seated on the bike -- it will be 1"-2" too long when you are standing. That makes sense because the extra length will be taken up by the bend of your knee when you're riding. My take is: better to have it fit when you need it, rather than have it look stylish as you're walking down the street.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #9 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Smile thanks for the pics

Quote:
Good call. My guess (pure speculation) is that he bought it as a best-guess, size-wise, and didn't return it for the correct fit. Maybe he bought it secondhand...?

I've been told if you get it to fit correctly -- as though you are seated on the bike -- it will be 1"-2" too long when you are standing. That makes sense because the extra length will be taken up by the bend of your knee when you're riding. My take is: better to have it fit when you need it, rather than have it look stylish as you're walking down the street.
I'm leaning towards the hi viz; How many others have it/ and for sure you'll stick out. I'm also looking at a new helmet that I think will go well; the Suomy gold with retro psychedellic flowers etc. Aything to draw attention to ME and the Bike.
In the spring I plan on going out to the factory and try one on.

JS
post #10 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Regarding the Aerostich hi-viz gear

IMO the Olympia AST jacket in hi-viz, and any of the reflective orange/yellow/lime green-type vests are much more "hi-viz" than Aerostich's. Yes, the Aerostich gets your attention, but it won't be as blindingly-bright as the AST or a reflective vest. Just more food for thought.

I get told frequently that the first thing people see is my white helmet, but that's a topic and a debate for another thread. (actually, those other threads already exist; just don't want to hijack this one)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #11 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2006, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starky
Am thinking about getting one of the Hi-Viz yellow suits this spring.
I like the extreme colour and it does really jump out.
My 14year old daughter saw pants in that colour and thought they were really cool.
I hear that the roadcrafter stuff is good and I like the one piece concept. Does anyone have anything specific to say about experiences with the HI-Viz or are they off the radar of most who are looking for new gear?
If your just looking for being seen not the impact pads
click here they have all kinds of stuff.
Rock
post #12 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Quote:
IMO the Olympia AST jacket in hi-viz, and any of the reflective orange/yellow/lime green-type vests are much more "hi-viz" than Aerostich's. Yes, the Aerostich gets your attention, but it won't be as blindingly-bright as the AST or a reflective vest. Just more food for thought.
The only problem with the Olympia jacket is that it is a fluorescent yellow and not the "official" hi-vis lime yellow color.
The fluorescent pigment WILL fade over a rather short time from sun/UV radiation. This may or may not be seen as a big deal since you'd still be wearing a brighter color than black.

My 6-year old Darien is almost as loud and gaudy as the day I bought it. If it has faded at all, it's the result of washing it once a year.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Smile

[QUOTE=tkramer]The only problem with the Olympia jacket is that it is a fluorescent yellow and not the "official" hi-vis lime yellow color.
The fluorescent pigment WILL fade over a rather short time from sun/UV radiation.

I had heard that the flourescent colours will fade quickly and that the hi viz is so off the natural colour chart that it really does grab attention.

Kind of looks like he Packers pants, ( just finished watching the game)
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkramer
The only problem with the Olympia jacket is that it is a fluorescent yellow and not the "official" hi-vis lime yellow color.

What is offical? According to who?
Rock
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 12:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
What is offical? According to who?
Rock
Uncle Sam, of course.

Federal Spec. #595-13671 according to Aerostich. I couldn't find it via Google. It's probably buried in some CFR document somewhere.

Another official specification for the color is ANSI/ISEA 107 but this seems to involve a retro-reflective component as well.

I don't know if these guys are responsible for developing the standards: http://www.tfhrc.gov/about/pvl.htm

Who knows, the government is so good at spending our money, there are probably half a dozen bodies working on coming up with the same specifications.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in