A New Helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

A New Helmet

I am looking at new moduler helmits for the misses and myself. Who make the lightest one ? The SO needs a very light weight helmet. Thanks in advance for all your help

Stevie Shreeve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 6:39 am

Neither my wife Alicia or my riding friend Nancy complain about the weight of their Nolans. Just remember that Nolan makes three different modular helmets for different shaped heads. Alicia has the N100E, and Nancy the N102. They also make a helmet called the X-Lite X-1002. But before you get too excited, IIRC it weighs 4 ounces more than the other two. Perhaps by now they've rectified that.
post #3 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I am looking at new moduler helmits for the misses and myself. Who make the lightest one ? The SO needs a very light weight helmet. Thanks in advance for all your help
Hey, Bud --- you and Sammie goin' to Lone Star's Open House next month? I'm gonna try on a few of the helmets that Denise has in inventory, with special emphasis on the Caberg. I've never paid much attention to a helmet's weight, butt may this time. I'm off of HJCs for awhile; been round the horn on Nolans over the last 7 years and liked 'em; just wanna see if I like the Caberg. Bruce Coleman up in Rowlett got one and likes it. Ping him and see if he knows if there might be a weight advantage/disadvantage.

Cya at the dessert table on Lamar Street!!!

post #4 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
...Just remember that Nolan makes three different modular helmets for different shaped heads...
Interesting. I knew Arai did that but wasn't aware Nolan did, too.

What head shape is each of the Nolan models geared towards? I had to do a fair amount of reshaping the foam in my Nolan N102 to make it fit comfortably. Would be nice to not have to do that when it's time for another helmet.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by hschisler; Nov 21st, 2006 at 10:52 am.
post #5 of 21 Old Nov 21st, 2006, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Interesting. I knew Arai did that but wasn't aware Nolan did, too.

What head shape is each of the Nolan models geared towards? I had to do a fair amount of reshaping the foam in my Nolan N102 to make it fit comfortably. Would be nice to not have to do that when it's time for another helmet.
All I can tell you is that the N100 and N102 are shaped very differently. You probably should try on my N100E next time you get the chance.
post #6 of 21 Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hey, Bud --- you and Sammie goin' to Lone Star's Open House next month? I'm gonna try on a few of the helmets that Denise has in inventory, with special emphasis on the Caberg. I've never paid much attention to a helmet's weight, butt may this time. I'm off of HJCs for awhile; been round the horn on Nolans over the last 7 years and liked 'em; just wanna see if I like the Caberg. Bruce Coleman up in Rowlett got one and likes it. Ping him and see if he knows if there might be a weight advantage/disadvantage.

Cya at the dessert table on Lamar Street!!!
Dick We are going to LS open house for sure. We wouldn't miss it. Guess I better get to the dessert table before ya I looked at the Caberg last week and really liked the look of it but was in a hurry so didn't get to try one on.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 7:22 am

Do you mean Modular helmets

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/acc...et_comparison/

And Arai isnt one of them. Never was.

Mike
IBA #433
post #8 of 21 Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 8:05 am

Nice Article

Just an FYI, I've had the Nolan, in the test, for about 6 months and have put around 3,000 miles on it. Took it on a 2,500 mile trip from Florida to WV and back , hit a lot of rain throughout Florida and it really performed well. Every head is different and because of that, it is an individual comfort factor, but I highly recommend the Nolan. I would definitely purchase it again. Quite a difference in comfort , road noise elimination and rain deflection compared to my previous 3/4 helmet.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 21 Old Nov 24th, 2006, 5:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just remember that Nolan makes three different modular helmets for different shaped heads.
Which helmet fits which head shape?

Mike
IBA #433
post #10 of 21 Old Nov 25th, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Well I bit the bullit today and picked up the "New" Nolan N102N.It has the com port built in where the com module goes and cheak and ear pad area is ready for speakers. Very nice and light weight,but the true test come tommarow when I go for a 2 to 3 hour ride. I'll let y'all know what I think then

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 21 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 8:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
Which helmet fits which head shape?
The Nolan is more for an oval head. The Areostitch catalog has a few helmets and the book tells you what helmet fits which shape head.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #12 of 21 Old Nov 27th, 2006, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
The Nolan is more for an oval head. The Areostitch catalog has a few helmets and the book tells you what helmet fits which shape head.
Ah, yes. Thanks. However my question was to a comment that Nolan had three helmets for different head shapes.
Can you answer that question? (as in post #9 of this thread)

Mike
IBA #433
post #13 of 21 Old Nov 28th, 2006, 9:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjac
Ah, yes. Thanks. However my question was to a comment that Nolan had three helmets for different head shapes.
Can you answer that question? (as in post #9 of this thread)
Sorry Mike. that's just what I have read from a book. I am going to buy a new helmet VERY soon as mine was stolen at the Lone Star Rally and I am back on my old half helmet. I have my eye on the N102 but I have not tried it on yet.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 11:55 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
Sorry Mike. that's just what I have read from a book. I am going to buy a new helmet VERY soon as mine was stolen at the Lone Star Rally and I am back on my old half helmet. I have my eye on the N102 but I have not tried it on yet.
Bones I have the N102N and love it best move if made basides getting the BMW itself

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Bones I have the N102N and love it best move if made basides getting the BMW itself
Now I understand we all have different likes and dislikes and that's a good thing,
but I'm just wondering about the above statement, and what you're opinion is based on,
cause I happen to know that you've only had this helmet three days,
and how many miles?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #16 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 1:17 pm

I tried on the Caberg at the Cycle Show. That is a nice hat! If I was in the market for a new lid, it would be my first choice. NOTE: I saw at least 2 versions of the Caberg - one with the built in sunvisor and one without.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #17 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Well I bit the bullit today and picked up the "New" Nolan N102N.It has the com port built in where the com module goes and cheak and ear pad area is ready for speakers. Very nice and light weight,but the true test come tommarow when I go for a 2 to 3 hour ride. I'll let y'all know what I think then
Incidentally, if you call the 800 # in the Nolan instructions, they will send you FREE cheek pads of different sizes if you need a custom fit. You need to send the old ones back to them AFTER you receive them (so don't munge them up). I needed an XL but a L pad, Wife needed a L helmet but a M pad.
All type of combinations, some people need a M helmet but a L pad.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

post #18 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 6:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe
Incidentally, if you call the 800 # in the Nolan instructions, they will send you FREE cheek pads of different sizes if you need a custom fit. You need to send the old ones back to them AFTER you receive them (so don't munge them up). I needed an XL but a L pad, Wife needed a L helmet but a M pad.
All type of combinations, some people need a M helmet but a L pad.
That is interesting. In one of the years I went to the Americade.. I chatted with the Nolan Rep and they fit me and explained why. They said that one of the reasons my old Nolan was noisy was a combo of wind coming over the windshield and cheek pads that were too small.. They would sell new cheek pads for $15 but I really never took them up on the deal.. mainly cause I had to do something out of the norm.

Your mentioning of this brings the pad fit to mind. I'm thinking of getting some new equipment over the winter and I think my 3 year Nolan is on the block. Every time I pass a big M/C shop I think that IF I had some more time I would like to try the new N102 on.. Good to hear they are following through with proper fitting.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #19 of 21 Old Nov 29th, 2006, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Now I understand we all have different likes and dislikes and that's a good thing,
but I'm just wondering about the above statement, and what you're opinion is based on,
cause I happen to know that you've only had this helmet three days,
and how many miles?
Hans yes it has only been 3 days and about 450 miles but after wearing a half Helmet for 3 years then a open face $40.00 POS for the last 2 years I guess any quality helmet would he great. That been said I just liKe the fit and it is 10 times quieter then what I had. Now give mea few thounsandmiles with it and I know if it is the one for me.

Stevie Shreeve
post #20 of 21 Old Nov 30th, 2006, 7:52 am

Quote:
Thanks, I'll be trying one on at the Lone Star open house. Silver XL ought to do the trick.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

post #21 of 21 Old Dec 18th, 2006, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Helmet Update

Well it's been about a month sence I got my Nolen N102 and I still love it!! Had to get use to the extra wieght in front sence I came from an open face helmet but that didn't take long. It's just now getting broke in a little so it's not as tight on my head but feels great. Headsets are next month and we'll be set

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in