Winter Project # 1 - Hydration - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Nov 15th, 2006, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Winter Project # 1 - Hydration

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Staying hydrated while riding, figuring out where to store liquids and not getting off my bike each time I was thirsty became a major problem. I tried other solutions like having a hydration bladder in my tank bag, but then the tank bag was two feet tall. Carrying bottles in my tank bag did not work either for both space and practicality reasons.

So, I came up with the following solution. I mounted a camelbak water bladder in my saddle bag and snaked the hose under my seat.

A full write up with parts list and details PICs can be found at:
http://kc6tew.com/mods/hydration/hydration.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001655.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	988.4 KB
ID:	8201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001656.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	1,008.2 KB
ID:	8202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001659.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	934.6 KB
ID:	8203  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 6:56 am

You're going to want to insulate that bladder and the hose, aren't you? Food for thought. But IMO, you're taking up valuable storage room. A CamelBak bungees to the rear seat, a seatbag, or the trunk rack easy enough.
post #3 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 9:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
You're going to want to insulate that bladder and the hose, aren't you? Food for thought. But IMO, you're taking up valuable storage room. A CamelBak bungees to the rear seat, a seatbag, or the trunk rack easy enough.
Actually, the bladder sits on the very top of some other stuff that I removed for installation (and the picture - I guess I should update the pic). I have about three-four inches on the left (along the top) when I put my other stuff back in, which the bladder fits in nice taking up room I do not use anyway (too skinny). I thought about insulating the bladder, but based on last summers experience carring other liquids, I think it might work as is.

post #4 of 11 Old Nov 16th, 2006, 3:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Looks like a fine job, Mark. I've been meaning to mount mine somewhere, but so far just strap it on using the included insulated bag/backpack it came with.

Nice job on the redneck saddlebag liner though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Nice job on the redneck saddlebag liner though.
Your killing me.... I needed a name for that "thing", and now I have one. I dedicated my right saddle bag to all the "stuff" I carry (patch kit, compressor, tools, gauge, rags, etc.), but may not use for a long time, hence that is why I stuffed the bladder in there. I tried several other solutions, but making my own seemed to work best.
post #6 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but here goes:

Staying hydrated while riding, figuring out where to store liquids and not getting off my bike each time I was thirsty became a major problem. I tried other solutions like having a hydration bladder in my tank bag, but then the tank bag was two feet tall. Carrying bottles in my tank bag did not work either for both space and practicality reasons.

So, I came up with the following solution. I mounted a camelbak water bladder in my saddle bag and snaked the hose under my seat.

cool job, I just strap mine to the back of the bike have for years, easy to get to to fill that way.

During the Expo here, I was talking to a gent about making a more motorcycle friendly hydration unit, we will get back on the project after thanksgiving and see if it is worth the time and money

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #7 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:30 am

Wink

Now we need a bag on the other side and a hose into our pants for the output side of the equation.

Laurence Hendrick

2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite (Oh my, so fast!)
2005 LT Ocean Blue (Sold and comfort will be missed, but not the weight)
post #8 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 11:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
Hey Mark, there are project pages on your website that are kinda blank - you still workin' on that? I'm curious to see your work!

Dave

'03 K1200LT-C Dark Graphite
'96 Triumph Sprint 900 British Racing Green (traded)
'95 Yamaha Virago 750 Pearl/Black (sold)
post #9 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 2:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Now we need a bag on the other side and a hose into our pants for the output side of the equation.
The ones that run a cath just pipe it off the rear of the bikes,

Seriously

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 11 Old Nov 17th, 2006, 4:07 pm

Since I'm over 40...oh, OK, I'm over 50, I welcome the stopping every 150 to 200 miles or so to get off and stretch my back and legs, grab a drink and get back on feeling much better. If I need a longer break, I'll rest while having a small ceegar! Gotta stop and smell the roses- er, exhaust along the interstae once in a while....
post #11 of 11 Old Nov 18th, 2006, 12:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweintechnik
Hey Mark, there are project pages on your website that are kinda blank - you still workin' on that? I'm curious to see your work!
Thanks for the heads up. I set those pages "not" to publish, but forgot about setting the navigation bar "not" to auto-update either. oops.

As with most, I'm taking the time during this rainy part of the year to complete the "punch list" of projects I created over the summer. I will post my completed projects here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in