• 3 Post By pkpilot
  • 1 Post By powwow
  • 1 Post By Dann323

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2017, 2:39 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Helmet Preference (Not just fit)

I've been using an HJC brand helmet for some time now but am ready to drop a few extra coins and move up to either a:

• Shuberth
  • Shoei
  • Nolan

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have owned at least 2 of these brands as to which one you like best and why? Obviously it goes without saying that fit is critical so I'm interested in the other features that drew you to a particular brand. I might mention that I'm only interested in a modular helmet.

Thanks for your input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IBA # 41940

2015 R1200 RT San Marino Blue
2002 Road King Classic - Traded
1971 Honda SL 125 - sold
1970 Honda CB 100 - sold
1969 Sears Mini-Bike- Gone. Never forgotten
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2017, 3:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Helmet Preference (Not just fit)

I don't own a modular helmet but the brands you listed offer some great choices. I would also check the Klim TK1200 helmet. I got to try one on last summer and thought it was pretty well made; plus it is carbon fiber which cuts down on weight. The helmet has a transitions lens so eliminates the additional sunshade lens that you flip up or down. I'm sure you took this into consideration but if you use a Bluetooth unit that mounts to the side of the helmet make sure all helmet functions will work when it is installed. Good Luck in your search.
Dorfnarr likes this.

Dennis Franks
Illinois

2012 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT traded-in
BMW-MOA 156125

IBA Saddlesore 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2017, 3:57 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I wear a Klim jacket and pants so it stands to reason that I should check out their helmet. Thanks for the tip as I didn't know Klim sells a modular helmet.

IBA # 41940

2015 R1200 RT San Marino Blue
2002 Road King Classic - Traded
1971 Honda SL 125 - sold
1970 Honda CB 100 - sold
1969 Sears Mini-Bike- Gone. Never forgotten

post #4 of 15 Old Mar 5th, 2017, 5:03 pm

I don't care so much for any brand that I won't look at another. For me, it's all about the fit. If it's not comfortable, the helmet isn't worth anything.

It takes me hours to choose a new helmet, because I try on the Brand(s) I'm interested in, and then I wear it in the shop for at least 45 minutes to an hour, to make sure "hot spots" (pressure points) don't appear.

That being said, my last three helmets have been three different brands: Arai, Shoei, and Schuberth.
ibbones and davidtn like this.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #5 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 12:28 pm

I have four helmets I rotate through depending on the trip/ride or commute. Like hallzee I have: Arai RX-Q, Schuberth S2, Shoei GT Air and Neotec lids. I like them all. My head is on the cusp between large and extra-large so I usually tweak the fit with cheek and center pads. I had to "spoon" the Schuberth to relieve the forhead pressure points.

That said: Arai is smallest and lightest, Schuberth is the most quiet, and Shoei fits the best after pad swaps; thinner pads for a large and thicker for the extra-large. The Neotec has the best venting, followed by any of the others being about equal.

The Neotec I bought recently and have only an hour or so if commuting time in it. I do like it even though it is loudest and heaviest.

I'd buy each again.

I'm a bit of a gear geek with my "collections" of helmets, jackets, boots, pants, gloves, etc.

Joe

Edit to add: A favorite feature for me is the drop down sun visor; I bought a pro shade for the Arai but I don't like it enough. I run SENA 10R with an earbud adapter on all helmets. I suppose I lean toward Shoei for the moment, but will try others at some point.
davidtn likes this.

Last edited by Joe's '06 RT; Mar 6th, 2017 at 12:42 pm.
post #6 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 2:00 pm

Location: Usually at the Taco Bell near my House, they have free WiFi
Garage

I purchased a Schuberth C3 Pro two years ago when the US Dollar was strong against the Euro. Local dealer couldn't come close to the price so I jumped on it.
I love it but it's my first "premium" helmet.

One thing to consider is the cost of adding a communication system, Schuberth SRCs are costly, and will only communicate with other SRC's. They can connect to Sena but not with full functionality.

Schuberth C4 helmet will be out next month, if you can stand to wait that long.
davidtn and Joe's '06 RT like this.
post #7 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 8:17 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

Schuberth C3 has been the best helmet I have ever bought. Its very quiet and it fits my head. They make different inserts so you can get the perfect fit for you. If you can get to a rally or bike show, Schuberth will have a booth with every helmet they make and you can try them on and get fitted from a factory rep.
Patric and davidtn like this.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #8 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 8:54 pm
cws

Garage

Another option which is more than just "modular", its approved as both a fullface and an open-face, is the Shark Evoline series (French made).
Just bought my 2nd one (online... and I never buy anything wearable online!)... and had it shipped from the UK as I wanted a very specific colour (Arona Hi-Viz) that was out-of-production and almost unavailable.
Previously owned BMW v5 fliptop (Schuberth), and various full face helmets.
Tried on Nolan's and Shoei's... none of them seemed to fit nicely.
The Shark is a slightly larger build, an L fits me perfectly, where I needed XL in the others.
And its proven the quietest helmet I can ever remember using....
Full reviews on Revzilla
davidtn likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2017, 8:55 pm

Feared Factor mentioned the Schuberth SRC so I will relate my experience. Both the Schuberth S2 and SRC I bought later were purchased on sale; I got them both for about the full price of the helmet alone. Anyway, I've boxed the SRC in favor of the SENA 10R because: 1) the SENA speakers plug into the unit thus permitting the use of an adapter for earbuds. I prefer the earbuds because they act as earplugs as well as enough sound that I find lacking with speakers at any volume setting. The SRC speakers are hard-wired into the main unit. 2) the SENA will connect to both my iPhone and Garmin Zumo 660 simultaneously while the SRC will not. It is possible I am mistaken, but I've checked thoroughly. I recall that I may have seen an eBay service offering to add an earbud adapter as on option to the speakers, but the lack of connectivity especially had me replace it with the SENA. I really wanted to like the SRC with it's clever integration into the neck roll and ability to directly plug in and iPod or the like, but it fell short.

For my shameless plug, I have a Schuberth SRC for an XL and larger S2 model helmet for sale. It is in excellent shape in the original box with all accessories (except for maybe a bit of Velcro or two) and an extra chin curtain. I'll make someone a good deal. 😄

Joe
davidtn likes this.
post #10 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 2:27 am

Garage

I currently have an Arai, and while it is nicely built etc, I will not buy another Arai - (that however is another story!)

I have previously owned three Shoei's - the last two being Raid II & Multitech. I found the helmets to fit me perfectly, the air flow was good. The visor change mechanism was really easy to use. I did have some issues with the Multitech visor, but that was cleared up by Shoei.

My next helmet will be a Shoei system/modular/flip helmet.

Sleuth
davidtn and Joe's '06 RT like this.

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #11 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:41 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidtn View Post
I've been using an HJC brand helmet for some time now but am ready to drop a few extra coins and move up to either a:

• Shuberth
  • Shoei
  • Nolan

I would appreciate hearing from those of you who have owned at least 2 of these brands as to which one you like best and why? Obviously it goes without saying that fit is critical so I'm interested in the other features that drew you to a particular brand. I might mention that I'm only interested in a modular helmet.

Thanks for your input!
That's me!

I started out with Nolan N43 and then the Shoei Neotec. No comparisons between the two! They are clearly in 2 different classes. My all-around helmet is the Shoei. It is comfortable, and MUCH quieter than the Nolan. I use the Nolan as a light 3/4 helmet (with the chin bar removed) for "round-town" riding, when I don't care too much about noise, even though I always wear earplugs while riding with either helmets.

Go and take a look at WebBikeWorld test reports on helmets, and you can decide for yourself!
davidtn likes this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I wear a Klim jacket and pants so it stands to reason that I should check out their helmet. Thanks for the tip as I didn't know Klim sells a modular helmet.
Just be cautioned that the transition visor will lightened up slowly (relatively speaking), and much too slow if you were riding in bright sunlight into a tunnel! I love technology, and have transition lens on my glasses (when I was wearing them), but I would opt for internal sunshade that is manually lowered and raised, for the application flexibility!
davidtn and Dann323 like this.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:49 am

Quote:

• Shuberth
  • Shoei
  • Nolan

Thanks for your input!

Watch the Revzilla video on helmet fit, then go try the brands on. FIT MATTERS MOST. After you get a brand(s) that best accommodates your shape and size, then look at the features. Features are irrelevant if the helmet is not comfortable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
cws, davidtn and Sleuth like this.
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 7:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My Arai Quantum was the quietest helmet I had ever owned, but I wanted to go with a modular so Arai was out. I tried a Nolan (I think model was 2000) that was the loudest, worst fitting helmet I've ever worn. Hated it and will never own another Nolan. Current helmet is Schuberth C3 Pro, which is modular, yet rivals the Arai for quiet. Great fit and is truly the best helmet I've ever owned.
davidtn likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Garage

For me it's the Shark Evo-One that came out in Europe in 2016. I ordered mine from Italy since it wasn't available on the NA market yet.

Smaller and lighter than my previous Evoline 2. Better ventilation, pinlock included. Larger integrated Sun visor, Intercom Ready also.
This is 2 helmets in one. AFAIK it's the only helmet certified for riding in Jet or Full face position.

With their new auto up/ down system for the visor, I can switch from Jet to Full face or vice versa with one hand while riding.

davidtn likes this.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

Last edited by Dann323; Mar 7th, 2017 at 9:09 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in