Aerostitch AD1 Motorcycle Pants - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 8th, 2006, 11:24 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
Aerostitch AD1 Motorcycle Pants

Anyone familiar with Aerostitch's new AD1 Motorcycle Pants? They're supposed to be an update to their Darien pants. The two issues I hear about with the Darien suit are an occasionally leaking crotch and not good in extreme heat.

I'm hoping the new crotch zipper gusset will help with the leaking, and that the full length leg zippers will allow for some airflow if zipped down from the hip a little. Plus using a mesh jacket should also help in the heat.

One other concern is sizing. I wear either a 36 or a 38 waist, depending on cut. These pants have a v-gusset in the back, but I'm not sure if I should go slightly larger or slightly smaller. They're cut to go over jeans which I need for commuting, but on long rides I usually just wear wicking leggings which don't add as much bulk. I don't have heated leggings yet but am considering them which may add back a little bulk.

They also offer regular and long lengths, but I hear their pants are already cut long (to fit better while seated on a bike).

Anyone have direct experience with these new pants, or the older Dariens?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 12:40 am
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Anyone have direct experience with these new pants, or the older Dariens?
Neither - but my Roadcrafter is a bit tight in the knees, so I like their comment about a greater bend around a larger radius. However, these are "off the rack" vs custom Dariens. If you are still looking for warm weather gear consider the Darien Light.

You might try calling and ask for Sally. She was very helpful when I bought mine and she either has a Darien, or Darien Light, or both, but if she's still there I know she'd answer all your questions.

Regarding the leaky crotch - try Depends.....

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #3 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 4:11 am

Garage
Meese,

I don't know much about the AD1, or the Darien for that matter, as I've always worn the Roadcrafter.

Have you tried their sizing tool at their website. It is pretty comprehensive and even asks the riding position. You can also fill in comments on what you anticipate as problem areas.

Follow this link and click on "Sizing Tool" in upper left corner and take it from there.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/index.html

post #4 of 4 Old Nov 9th, 2006, 8:50 am

I've been using the "old" Darien for a few years.................
I wear bicycle shorts under them in hot weather and they work fine............
yes, the zipper leaks............................................. .
They helped me with sizing and got them longer than I would have but they were right, although very long when walking, they are really just perfect when riding.....I added suspenders and that fixed the walking length..................
The crotch will get to ya'.....(too tight).......................................
I'm about to order the new ADI to get the gusset..........

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in