Shoei to Arai to Shoei - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Shoei to Arai to Shoei

Had a Shoei RF800, then moved up to an RF900. Liked 'em both. Wore 'em for a few years. Then thought I'd give an Arai Signet GT a try. Liked it even more than the Shoei's. Seemed a little lighter and fit me better. Wore the Arai for two and a half years, although the ventilation seemed to leave a little bit to be desired. I tended to ride with my shield up while wearing sunglasses. The shield would continually slam shut when speeds reached 55+. I even drilled 1/8th inch holes across the bottom of the shield so that when it was in the lower position I'd get a little more air flow. Still wasn't able to get what I felt was enough.

Bought a Shoei X-Eleven yesterday from the local Cycle Gear store. The shelf price was $540 while their online web site price was $510. The store matched the online price so I figure I got a decent deal. Nice fit, removable/washable liner, "ratcheting" face shield, quieter (in my opinion) than the Arai, and the ventilation/air flow (again my opinion) is undeniably hands down far superior to the Arai.

I had a pair of speakers mounted into the Arai, but they won't fit the Shoei. The Arai has little covered pockets at the rear top of the cheek pads that the speakers fit into nicely. The Shoei simply has an open space where small speakers should fit. Anybody have experience with fitting speakers into this particular hat?

Mike
'06 GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Nov 5th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Fitting speakers and microphone is where the Arai is less complicated. I ended up sending mine to J & M www.jmcorp.com for my install($50+shipping). They used my J&M headset and did a beautiful job. In your post, you don't mention a mic, but FYI, J&M won't install a stationary mic in the X-11. Instead, they use a boom mic and can explain why they believe this is the best.

Ditto on the excellent ventilation of the X-11.

BTW, Shoei is soon to release a new modular helmet that, apparently, fits like the X-11.

http://www.shoei-helmets.com/road/he...road.aspx?h=13
post #3 of 5 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 7:11 am Thread Starter

Not interested in communication. I only want to be able to listen to tunes on an MP3 or similar portable device whilst motoring aimlessly about. J&M was contacted a few months ago. I was informed they didn't offer anything (simply speakers that attached to the aforementioned) that would suit my needs. What I did before was shop around at Wal Mart, Target, Best Buy, etc. to find a product that fit. Looks like I may be doing that again.

Mike
'06 GT

post #4 of 5 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 10:44 am

Got it. Take a look at IMC's speakers. I have heard that they are smaller than J&M's and high quality. http://www.imc-motorcom.com/content/...05&language=en

They can be purchased at http://www.whitehorsepress.com/advan...tion=1&x=0&y=0
post #5 of 5 Old Nov 6th, 2006, 5:49 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

And purchased they were, from whitehorsepress.com. They look exactly like what I've been looking for and should be here within a few days. Thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to them fitting the bill very nicely.

Mike
'06 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in