Electric Vest Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Electric Vest Help

Can anyone suggest an electric vest for cold weather riding?

What are some of the features I should consider? What hooks up with the LT?

Also, what other gear should I consider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:28 pm

Erick,

Click on the search drop-down and type in "heated gear". I'm sure you'll find all the info you need.

Bruce Hodges
post #3 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Don't get an electric vest, get an electric jacket. With a vest, a few minutes after you say to yourself, "My chest is nice and warm now", you'll say "Gee, now my arms are cold". Gerbing makes electric jackets. Get the thermostat, too.

- Bob (@ Iron Horse, Stecoah, NC)

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '69 R60US (mint!)
'83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 13 Old Oct 26th, 2006, 11:40 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Agreed, get the full jacket. There are several vendors, Gerbings, Widder, Aerostitch, Warm & Safe. But whatever jacket you get, pick up a Heat-Troller from Warm & Safe. Best temperature controller out there. They make versions that will plug into your BMW accessory socket, or that can be hard wired to the bike.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:19 am

I am quite satisfied with the Gerbing Vest. With the winter coat liner in my riding jacket there is little room for othan than my arms.

Try the jacket on with your winter riding attire to see if it fits.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 10:46 am

I agree on liner over a vest. My Gerbing's liner is very thin and does not add much bulk in the sleeves. I've heard good things about the Warm n Safe but I've not tried one. Word has it these two brands put out more heat than the Aerostich products.

I purchased my permanent mounted thermostat from Heat Troller (Warm n Safe). Pretty easy to install on the LT. I did learn a lesson about where not to drill the hole. Better if I had moved it an inch.
post #7 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 12:38 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Interesting. When I use the heated liner, I leave the jacket's original liner at home.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Smile

OK, I didn't mean that I wear a heated liner on top of a heated vest, I meant that I agree with those who purchased a jacket liner (with sleeves) instead of a heated vest.

Funny, I just received my Aerostich winter mini catalog, and on the heated gear page it says for "volcanic" heat, buy a heated vest and a jacket liner and wear both. Maybe that was some sort of subliminal message.

I could take the heat but I don't know if my LT's system could take the electrical draw.
post #9 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:25 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I knew what you meant Wyman, and I agree I was referring to Mike (usmctpdog) who said he wears a heated vest because his normal unheated jacket liner takes up too much room in the sleeves.

I've only had my Warm & Safe liner for a year, and I wonder why I waited so long to get one. Oh yeah, it's because SoCal never gets below 60 degrees.

It pretty much lives on the bike year-round now. Never know when you'll end up crossing the top of some mountain at midnight.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 5:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I use an Aerostich liner and, when needed, a Widder vest and gloves. Not having heat in the arms has never been an issue with me. I like the close fit of the vest, keeping the heat close to my body's core; and the lack of constriction with the vest in not having another layer in the sleeves.

I also like to be prepared and carry a back up, so I usually carry a thin wool sweater and a poly shell because you never know when you'll run over the cord and break something =(0

Motor On ,/'

post #11 of 13 Old Oct 27th, 2006, 6:26 pm

My wife and I have Chilli Vests from Sargent. We keep them on the bike all the time but it has to get in the low 40s before we use them. They are tailored and finished in both mens and womens designs, come with a pulse modulator, and are ready to hardwire onto the LT. The modulators(one for each of us) fit on the tank and topcase respectively with velchro and can be stowed away during the summer under the seats. The hardwiring makes them simple to hook up and provides tons(joules?) of even, constant heat to the body core. See attached link. These vests also look slick worn off the bike. Just one alternative you might consider.

http://www.sargentcycle.com/chillivest.htm

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 9:51 pm

A full heated liner is much more versatile than a jacket, and keeps you warmer than a vest.
The liner lets you wear any type of coat. With A heated jacket you're limited to the tempature the jacket is designed for.
With say a Warm & Safe liner, you can wear it under a wind breaker to your heaviest coat. It's tempature neutral so you can wear it in any tempature and be comfortable.
The liner has heat in the sleeves, front, back and collar area.

Please Visit My Website

post #13 of 13 Old Jan 17th, 2008, 9:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have a Gerbing full liner versus a vest. You want to buy it a little small so it fits tight. If you also plan to have heated gloves, make sure the jacket can accept dual heat controllers.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in