Standard Boots as Riding Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Standard Boots as Riding Gear

Hello,

What makes motorcycle riding boots superior to standard 8" zipperside boots. They are similar to combat boots and are worn by emergency service workers and police officers.

Willie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Fashion

Nothing as far as I know... Some of the more expensive ones have better ankle protection, but as far as I'm concerned my S.W.A.T. boots are just fine...

I may pay dearly for that statement...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 5:49 pm

Wink Oh not much really

http://www.sidi.it/_Data/Articoli/MVVERTIGOCO.jpg
For example , this is a narrative of my boot:

The new “Vertigo Corsa” racing boot, developed by Sidi is a perfect blend of comfort and high performance for champions and for all motor bike fans.

Vertigo Corsa has a range of innovative features making it a unique boot; the rear part can be adjusted to cling perfectly to the calf.

The leg portion - in polyurethane - is fitted with the TECNO VR closing system patented by Sidi, to provide adjustments via a nylon thread passing through two lateral holes. Pull on the thread to wrap the boot symmetrically and snugly around the calf.

To loosen off, press the locking device in the direction of the arrow and widen the calf-section of the boot.
After putting the boot on, raise the arc-shaped handle and turn it clockwise until it snaps into place creating the close wrap effect. A maximum adjustment of 5 cm. is provided.
Do not turn the handle anti-clockwise.

Created in order to provide the maximum protection in cases of impact, Vertigo Corsa has a close-fitting, wrap-around fascia over the bridge of the foot which can be precision adjusted by the TECNO-II device, preventing the foot from sliding forward and protecting the toes.

To put the boot on, open the TECNO-II closing mechanism by pressing the locking button in the direction of the arrow and loosen the nylon thread a little; lift and detach the hooked button and loosen the instep strap VR. After putting on the boot move the instep strap back to its central position, hook up the button and after lifting the arc-shaped handle, turn it clockwise until you feel comfortable.
Do not turn the handle anticlockwise.

Another safety feature of Vertigo Corsa is the “ankle support system” preventing the foot from twisting and protecting the ankle against impact. The thermoplastic resin support with two outer and one inner “beam” is very tough but allows the ankle to move and provides comfort.

The lower outer beam is fitted with an air intake which can be opened or closed according to needs, by a simple pushbutton.

For a greater foot safety, the heel of the Vertigo Corsa model is fitted with a transparent polycarbonate shell with two anti-impact shock absorbers.

The transparent shell has 3 mm of impact movement.

On the outside, the Vertigo Corsa model is complete with an interchangeable front in carbon fibre to protect the shin and with ceramic inserts inside the toe slider, to prevent wear and tear.

The new rubber sole was created with slip-proof design.

Inside, Vertigo Corsa provides maximum comfort : the breathable sheath is treated with Teflon and fitted with air holes.
This fabric protection process prevents water or sweat from being absorbed. The boot dries quickly and does not collect mould.

The ankle area is padded inside.

All parts of the boot can be replaced.

The captivating design and total quality of the materials and components, together with the research incorporated, provide maximum safety and make Vertigo Corsa a high-tech product with skilled workmanship, in line with the philosophy of Sidi.

With Vertigo Corsa, Sidi has taken another important step forward ……into the future

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 6:03 pm

Well I can think of one possibility from experience. I have a set kinda like a combat boot with laces. The issue that I had one day was the laces got caught on the shifter and I wasn't sure I was going to get my foot off before having to stop, which of course would have been very difficult.

I will never buy another set that has laces down on the foot portion.

Just my two cents from an almost issue. I haven't bought the new ones yet, but Christmas is coming

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:45 pm

I wear Sidi's but I had a pair of Cruiserwork's Side Zips and thought maybe they were too thick in the toe for easy shifting. My cruiser was toe, heel and I thought I could only use my Cruiserworks for that. I just tried them on my Beemer and they're fantastic! These are the best boots I've ever had. Very lightweight but extremely rugged and really good when you plant your feet down, on practically any surface. So, it's back to my cruiser boots. Not very European, but hey, very practical and waterproof too.
Bruce
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:15 am

Question You're asking for opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeloqui
Hello,

What makes motorcycle riding boots superior to standard 8" zipperside boots. They are similar to combat boots and are worn by emergency service workers and police officers.

Willie
... not a definative answer, right?
IMO, buy the boot that fit's your mission (typical riding conditions) and what you'll feel good about wearing. No right or wrong answers without priorities.
This is what I'm now wearing for long-distance touring; I like them for a lot of reasons, especially fit, quality, perceived safety.
Art. 498S - MARATHON STEEL
http://www.bikerworldusa.com/vendramini.html
Caution: deal with the factory for sizing advice and then have bikerworld measure the removable insoles. I have a narrow foot, normally wear size 12-1/2; however the size 11 fit perfectly. I sent foot traces to the factory http://www.vendramini.com/dynamic/en/categoria.php

Regards,
John

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 8:11 am

I've always worn Cowboy boots, its just part of who I am.
I tried different motorcycle boots over the years, never really found a good pair.
A couple of months ago that changed, I got my first pair of Roadgear "solution" boots,
I like them a lot, they're comfortable and my feet stay dry and warm, definetly worth a hundred bucks.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #8 of 12 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 3:19 pm

I wear the NITRO touring boots. $69.00. They are made of leather uppers so they breath (I have problems with athlete's foot otherwise) and a good rubber sole for plenty of grip when stopping. There is a velcro flap over the zipper to keep it from sliding down on it's own, something my combat boots did for years. One of the most important differences is the Nitro's are waterproof. They are also warm enough for the coldest days of riding. While I don't see a reason to spend hundreds of dollars on riding boots I do think they provide better protection overall than non-riding boots. If you are going to ride with cowboy or combat boots have the soles replaced with rubber half soles instead for better grip. It's a cheap fix and much safer.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 2:30 pm

Nitro boots

I've been looking at the Nitro boots online but didn't see where they offered wide sizes. Are you familiar with what they have or of a vendor that I might call for information?
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:24 pm

I don't know if the Nitro's come in wide sizes but they only come in full sizes. I wear a 10 1/2 and bought the 11. They fit pretty well and are wide at the ball of the foot. Competition Accessories sells them as well as vendors on eBay.

http://www.competitionaccessories.co...?Category=1840

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 22nd, 2006, 4:22 pm

These are absolutely the best boots I have ever owned. I have 3+ years & about 70,000 miles on them, very waterproof & I can even walk in them. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d...UCT_ID=50-7192
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 8:15 am

I have a pair of the Nitros as well. Very nice boots, but in the summer I wear a pair of BMW vented boots.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in