Cycle Port's Kevlar Mesh Poll - BMW Luxury Touring Community
View Poll Results: If you have considered Cycle Port's Kevlar mesh riding gear, did you?
Buy it 21 45.65%
Rule it out 4 8.70%
I'm still thinking about it 21 45.65%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Question Cycle Port's Kevlar Mesh Poll

This is the first time I'm going to attempt to create a poll, so please pardon me if I screw it up.

The questions will be:
If you have considered Cycle Port's Kevlar mesh riding gear, did you:
Buy it?
Rule it out?
Still thinking about it?

If you haven't checked it out, see:
http://www.motoport.com/index.asp

and a review at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

Regards,
John
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC - Canyon Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 7:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One of my riding buddies at work brought in some samples of the material. Neat stuff but I had seen it before ... somewhere. Ahhh my BMW airflow gloves have it as an insert on the back of the hand.

By their claims we should feel naked with our First Gear mesh products when you look at the protection levels they claim. It is thought provoking though.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:07 pm

I have read threads that talk about a group purchase from Motoport. There is supposed to be a good discount. I am willing to participate in such a group.

Willie

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:20 pm

On my four week trip to CCR this year I experienced everything from 101 and high humidity to 31 and pouring rain and sleet. I never to used the evaporative gear I bought for the trip nor did I need to use my Gerbing heated clothing. This is the best four season gear I have ever owned. It doesn't look as sexy as some of the Aerostich gear but it is custom made to your dimensions.

It worked very well for me but I don't have unrealistic expectations about the performance of hot weather gear in hot climates. I didn't use the evaporative gear because the only times I got hot was when evaporative gear wouldn't have done any good anyway. The bottom line is if there isn't good air flow mesh gear or evaporative cooling aides are not going to work worth a hoot. In stop and go urban traffic it will still be a hot sweaty ride. But then again it would be a hot sweaty ride if you were riding naked. At least with mesh gear you save money on sun tan lotion .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #5 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgburns
This is the first time I'm going to attempt to create a poll, so please pardon me if I screw it up.

The questions will be:
If you have considered Cycle Port's Kevlar mesh riding gear, did you:
Buy it?
Rule it out?
Still thinking about it?

If you haven't checked it out, see:
http://www.motoport.com/index.asp

and a review at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motoport/

Forgot an option: "Never heard about it before, so it never crossed my mind"

Dave Moore
Boerne, Texas
Chain-driven '08 Blazing Orange Triumph Tiger 1050i
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

If they get this far, it's on their radar screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemoore
Forgot an option: "Never heard about it before, so it never crossed my mind"
I figured anybody interested in new gear would read up and vote later ... after thinking about it. Nevertheless, you're right. Thanks

Regards,
John

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 8:00 am

You might want to add a section asking if the buyer was happy with the transaction. The gear itself is good but the customer support is.... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ded#post116739

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #8 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 6:11 pm Thread Starter

Wink Maybe should you post a poll Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod
You might want to add a section asking if the buyer was happy with the transaction. The gear itself is good but the customer support is.... http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ded#post116739
While I wonder what happened between you and Wayne, I'll never know unless you recoreded the conversations.

So far, you're the only one to report getting burned, seriously burned , and you've done a good job shouting it from the roof top.
Sorry--I've been there and done that with other vendors. It seems to happen about every 5 to 7 years to me, maybe when the moon if full on Friday the 13th. In fact, if there were a forum for off airport (Albuquerque) parking, I would be the one voice in a thousand to proclaim "they are rude, ignorant, control freaks."

If you think several others have serious complaints about Cycle Port, like yourself, maybe you should post a pole. If you do, please consider adding a option "great service" because that's what I and others have already expressed.

The purpose of the poll was for me to get a feel for how many people on this forum wear or might wear Cycle Port's Kevlar gear. ... it says something about the general safety awareness/culture of the group. IMO, safer gear does not yet exist . If and when it does, I'll be there with my checkbook!

Regards,
John

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 7:02 pm

It's very good gear,,, but I will take my TourGuard for winter and my Venting Machine for summer over the motoport gear....I think BMW gear is first rate....Regards Pete
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:29 am Thread Starter

Question How about extreme temp. days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepeterson
It's very good gear,,, but I will take my TourGuard for winter and my Venting Machine for summer over the motoport gear....I think BMW gear is first rate....Regards Pete
Pete, I'm glad you like what you have. However, what do you do on those rides where the altitude and latitude changes rapidly? Layers with the Venting Machine gear?
I use to suffer with the leather in exteamly hot weather, so I could handle the very cold the next day. I started layering with Olympia gear, but I felt unprotected compared to my leathers.

Regards,
John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in