Big Guy Riding Gear - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:24 pm Thread Starter

Big Guy Riding Gear

Are there any riders out there that do not fit into the riding gear that is typically available? I normally wear a 4X, none of the 4X riding gear really fits. I have a leather CHP jacket that I have been wearing on a cruiser for years. It is too hot for the summer. Since I am now a BMW touring bike rider I want some textile gear that I can wear in Southern California (I know, fat guys don't live in SoCal). Well I wore a 3x when I was in High School and didn't have a gut.

I now have a Olympia Sportwear jacket, but cannot get pants. I am seriously considering a custom kevlar set from MotoPort, or a custom Aerostich jacket and pants.

I came very close to buying the First Gear 4x jacket from my bike shop. It was too short, however. I am tall, 6'4", and most of my height is in my torso. I really did like the FG jacket, though.

Anyone else run across this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 6:47 pm

Motoport is the way to go if you are a "full grown" man. I have only had mine for a few months but I think it was well worth the money and wait time. It has been a long time that I had a riding jacket that the sleeves weren't too short.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #3 of 4 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 9:19 am

I used to say that Motoport was the way to go, not any more. I got my air mesh jacket a couple months ago after a 4 Ĺ month wait. It was even close to fitting right. Called and talked to Wayne, who said to ship it back and they would fix it. OK that was the same as my pants; I could be patient and wait. I got the jacket back, it still didnít fit and I noticed that they charged another 100 bucks to my credit card with out any authorization. I called Wayne back and he got unbelievably belligerent. I was told that customers caused all his problems, they didnít make any money on these things and then he started cursing at me, at which point I hung up. After several failed email attempts to resolve the issue, I called my CC company and let them handle it.

At first I was going to post my experience right away, but decided the best thing was to let it pass and let my blood pressure go back to normal. But I also want to make sure that if you decide to go with Motoport that you know what you might be in for. On the plus side, if they get it right, their stuff is about the best protection you can get. I love my pants; I just wish the $550 custom jacket/liner fit like a custom jacket.

So, if you are prepared for a loooong wait, having a hard time to make it right and getting stiffed for more than you thought, Motoport is the way to go.

Have you looked at http://www.aerostich.com ?

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 9:46 am

I think Tour Master has stuff up to 5x
All my stuff used to come from the Big Fatty dept. My Motorcop jacket is a US 58,tall. I had got a pair of chaps off a guy that was over 500lbs, they fit great in the legs, leather shop took 12" out of the belt.
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in