Big head, which helmet? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Big head, which helmet?

Oh I know I left myself wide open with that opening line so go ahead and take your best shot.

I've worn an open faced helmet most of my life, my favorite the Arai M series.

A couple of weeks ago we took a ride to the Helmet store in Daytona Beach Florida and purchased a pair of Nolan 102's modular Helmets and they installed the clampless intercom speakers and mic

I am very disappointed with this helmet,
the largest size it comes in is a 2X
my head is bigger than that, at first I didn't mind wearing it,
thought I could get used to it but my chin was pressed up against the chin bar and after a couple of hours that got real uncomfortable.
In the following days I removed the chin pad and cut out a place for the microphone as it had a tendency to press into my mouth (no room)
I had to re-adjust the vox on the com system because the helmet is so noisy it would constantly activate the mic.
The venting was very good, with the face shield slightly cracked and the top vent open it was actually cooler than my open face.
After a few hours my ears were ringing from the noise.
After 3-4 days the Nolan got put on the shelf and I'm back to my Arai,
is there a modular helmet out there that has more "face" room and is not as noisy?

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:33 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Schuberth C2 is very quiet with good venting, but not very much chin room. Also, the original Schuberth Concept tended to run a bit small.

I know that isn't what you need, but at least you can cross those off your list.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 11:35 am
Gold Supporter

For a modular I had to go to the HJC 3-x and it was okay for noise.

I recently went to a full coverage and love it for trips, but had to get downsized cheek pads (Comes with 20mm and I got the 12mm) Have you looked at the Arai Astral X? Only reason I went with the modular before, was because I wear glasses, but found the Arai wasn't a problem. Much more comfortable and a lot quieter.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #4 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 12:15 pm

I tried to try on a xxl (their biggest) Schuberth C2 and couldn't even get it on my big head. So far, the only brand that seems to fit is Shoie. I currently have a TZ-1 and it fits great, I just wish it had a removable liner.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #5 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 1:20 pm
Rider Journeyman

I've got a HUGE head and the Arai Corsair fits great.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #6 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 1:30 pm

Don't they shrink heads down in South America? Maybe you can have yours shrunk just a little!

On a serious note, nothing is as uncomfortable as an ill fitting helmet. I would go to a motorcycle gear store and try every dang helmet they have, from the lowest priced to the highest and find the most comfortable one.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #7 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 3:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
Don't they shrink heads down in South America?
Maybe you can have yours shrunk just a little!
Riding what I believe is the finest motorcycle on the market has likely caused my head to swell some but your suggestion does not make my list of preffered options

I tried the Schuberth (thats' the one I really wanted) impressive product but too small.

I'm making a list of suggested helmets to try on:

Modular:
HJC Symax
Shoei TZ1

Full Face:
Arai Astral X
Arai Corsair

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #8 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Riding what I believe is the finest motorcycle on the market has likely caused my head to swell some but your suggestion does not make my list of preffered options

I tried the Schuberth (thats' the one I really wanted) impressive product but too small.

I'm making a list of suggested helmets to try on:

Modular:
HJC Symax
Shoei TZ1

Full Face:
Arai Astral X
Arai Corsair
I grew up on Nolans, Hans. Loved 'em, cuz I wear glasses and they are a breeze to put on and remove. I started out with 'em when it took two hands to activate the flip. Tried the single lever flip too and ran with it for a coupla years. My biggest beef with the Nolans wuz their tendency to move around on my head after a length of time (or else my skull is shrinkin'!!). I think it might have somethang to do with the padding/liner, butt I could shake my head left/right and the helmet had a hard time keeping in sync!!

Then I went to an HJC SyMax. Another neat helmet that I've been wearing for the past 3-4 years, even tho it leaks at the shield/eyebrow seam in a frog strangler downpour. I've tried everythang to stop that leaking, butt not fixed it yet!

Just today, I wuz at Lone Star BMW, Austin and took a look at the Caberg Justissimo. I think that is gonna be my Xmas present to myself. Gotta take a few trips up and down the interstate with a test mule to see if it works like folks say it does. I like it's features (flip - clear shield, with a smoked inner drop-shield - venting - padding). I didn't think to ax about installing speakers in a Caberg, butt I'm fixin' to spring for the earplug speakers anyway, so shouldn't have to worry about helmet speakers.

Just some added info for ya, Hans. Good luck with finding the right helmet for ya. BTW - I didn't take a look at the max size for Cabergs, butt they prolly have a website you can check. Take care.
post #9 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:21 pm

Try This

Since you've had several good, bona fide, serious answers, here's a different one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	7410  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 6:25 pm

Hans I wear a Fulmer in XXXl and it works for me, I also had trouble finding a helmet. I had to special order it after purchasing an XXl and started getting headaches with it.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #11 of 22 Old Oct 11th, 2006, 7:59 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Oh I know I left myself wide open with that opening line so go ahead and take your best shot.

A couple of weeks ago we took a ride to the Helmet store in Daytona Beach Florida and purchased a pair of Nolan 102's modular Helmets and they installed the clampless intercom speakers and mic

thought I could get used to it but my chin was pressed up against the chin bar and after a couple of hours that got real uncomfortable.
In the following days I removed the chin pad and cut out a place for the microphone as it had a tendency to press into my mouth (no room)
I had to re-adjust the vox on the com system because the helmet is so noisy it would constantly activate the mic.
The venting was very good, with the face shield slightly cracked and the top vent open it was actually cooler than my open face.
is there a modular helmet out there that has more "face" room and is not as noisy?
Hans;

The modular helmets are all noiser than the standard full-face. Every one I have tried has been very noisy. Depending on your head shape you might want to try a Shoei. My head is the "Shoei shape" (longer front to back than wide) and I absolutely love the RF1000. It is very quiet and comfortable. They make XXXL in a couple of colors and everything in XXL. They also offer some really great paint schemes, if you like that sort of thing. I like the way the shields are changed as well.

If your head is more round, you might look at the Arai. They are not as quiet as the Shoei and with the shape of my head, gave me a hot spot on my forehead.

If you want to try one I have a brand new XXL RF1000 in black that I could send you to try. If interested send me a PM.

BTW, how is the bike.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

Last edited by randy; Oct 11th, 2006 at 8:04 pm.
post #12 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:26 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good info guys, especially the detailed stuff like Dick posted.

That's a very generous offer Randy,
when I get home I'll look around some and might PM you on that offer.

The bike hasn't missed a lick, We love it.
we're on the return leg of a trip up to Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire to see the colors (awesome)
Stopped in to visit my brother in Michigan and stayed too long,
the weather caught up to us, damn its cold up here.

The only complaint I have is that rear Metzler you put on for me is just about gone,
but then 11K we've put on it might have something to do with that

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #13 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 8:49 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
The only complaint I have is that rear Metzler you put on for me is just about gone,
That is just the "Bad, Bad Bike Syndrome". The LT is notorious for covering way too many miles, generating cause for excuses as to why it took 200 miles and 3 hours just to get a loaf of bread and forcing you to go to the corner of your state when you planned to go to the corner store.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #14 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:16 am

I wear a 7 5/8 in a hat and my head is considerably more oval than most. I think the doctor used vice grips instead of forceps when I was born. I can wear a Shoei Syncrotec in XL with a little creative adjustment to the liner at the front and back. A XXL is too large and flops around on my head. There is adequate room at the chin for me and my Autocom mic fits fine without hitting the flip face. My facial features are similar to Randy's, in fact we could probably pass for brothers , no insult intended Randy . I haven't had the opportunity to compare noise levels or chin space with any other modular brands because I can't find any that fit me.

Arai is the only manufacturer that specifically addresses the issue of head shape that I am aware of. I just wished they made a modular. Arai makes helmets with three different head shapes from round to oval. Their models with the most oval shape fit me very well. Their XL sizes are also the closest fit for me. On Arai's full face helmets I noticed some differences in chin space from one model to the next. I thought the Quantum 2 fit my face the best and the head fit wasn't bad considering it has the intermediate head shape rather than the most oval.

I have tried all of the other modulars and most brands looking at other style helmets. Usually XXL and even some XXXL sized helmets are too small front to back to fit me. If I do find a helmet that fits front to back then it flops from side to side because I can usually fit my fingers under the head liner on both sides.

I guess the bottom line is that head size, head shape and facial characteristics are all variables that will complicate a search for the perfect helmet. Anecdotal experiences like mine may not be all that useful for you if our melons are dissimilar.

Maybe some day helmet manufacturers will size helmets more like tires with some kind of length to width ratio. I would probably need to find a helmet in 7 5/8 R75. Hopefully we wouldn't need a load rating too. Or better yet, you walk into a store put on the shell and they inject the liner material while your wearing it. Dang, I hate it when my other surviving brain cell starts firing .

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #15 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 9:21 am

Quote:

HANs a friend of mine also has a big head <g> but he found HJC to be the most comfortable for him and they are the only full face that make a helmet big enough for him they go up to 4 or 5 x in size, Schuberth also make a fairly large helmet although not as large as HJC, he could not wear Shoie, or Arai either

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #16 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 4:22 pm

Hi Guys,

I have a huge bowling ball for a head. I found a great deal of information from webBikeWorld, URL below.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

I ordered a Vega Altura (3XL-5XL) from http://www.MotorcycleHelmets.net. I tried calling and never got anyone on the telephone. I did order it online (I am stupid and hopefull

I will report on it when it shows up.

Willie
post #17 of 22 Old Oct 12th, 2006, 11:03 pm

I called http://www.MotorcycleHelmets.net and they told me I should get the helmets (I bought a human size helmet for my wife in the beginning of next week.
post #18 of 22 Old Oct 13th, 2006, 11:43 am

Hans, you might consider the Vega Summit II. I have an 7 3/4 Arai type head and was forced to buy a new helmet on my last long trip due to the failure of my HJC SyMax hinge mechanism. Picked up the Vega in Denver in an XL and after wearing it for a week, it fits great! Comes in 2XL as well, so there is some choice in the matter.

Brett

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'!

2003 BMW K1200LTC "El Gato Grande"
1993 Suzuki GSXR1100W
1978 Suzuki GS1000C 'Project'
post #19 of 22 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 6:59 pm

Just Received Vega 4X Helmet

Hi Gang,

I just received my Vega Altura helmet in a 4X. It is the first full helmet to fit onto my noggin. It is pretty snug, but it is still brand new. They also have a 5X available, but the sizing chart specified a 4X. I expect that it will form to my head, or the other way around, in a little while.

Willie
post #20 of 22 Old Jan 2nd, 2008, 1:01 pm

big head which helmet

hi guys new member here
i have found the caberg justissimo full face flip up style
in xxl superb it just fits right i have wasted money on others in past
by telling dealer yes it fits fine as it gouges into your temple
i remember in the 80,s the most appalling fitting one i bought was a boeri big
with the chin part almost higher than my mouth
it looked like an american football helmet done in stars & stripes to
the boeri sport was excellent but they stopped making it
better shaped & everything
by the way i ride a bmw 1200 lt
rob
lake distict uk
post #21 of 22 Old Jan 6th, 2008, 12:22 pm

Quote:
Thanks for all the good info guys, especially the detailed stuff like Dick posted.

That's a very generous offer Randy,
when I get home I'll look around some and might PM you on that offer.

The bike hasn't missed a lick, We love it.
we're on the return leg of a trip up to Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire to see the colors (awesome)
Stopped in to visit my brother in Michigan and stayed too long,
the weather caught up to us, damn its cold up here.

Hans, I have a similar issue it seems, all seemed too tight. And from your discussion it seems you want a tipup modular, as I did. I was able to find a XXXL Schuberth and it was a good fit even once I got speakers and headset in!! Now it seems the 3x may not be available?? I have also tried on the largest Shoei Syncrotec a while back to see if it might be a candidate for my next helmet and it was a bit snug, but fit.. I am really sold on the tip up style for safety and yet still able to open for a drink or quick chat.
The manufacturers really need to help us "Swollen" skull types and give us some options. I would really recommend hunting around some dealers and websites(a phone call or 2) to see if a 3x Schuberth is out there as I am VERY satisfied with it. PS I will check with the dealer I got mine from and see if any more exist, even if it has been a couple years!

Bill
KLR650
Looking for the next machine :<)
Lafayette, Indiana
post #22 of 22 Old Jan 18th, 2008, 7:08 am

I've always been a 3X in an ARAI Signet -- then I found a SCHOEI flip up in 2X and it fits PERFECT -- BTSOOM

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in