Heated clothing-advice requested - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:12 pm Thread Starter

Heated clothing-advice requested

I sold my Harley heated jacket liner along with the bike. I still have the heated gloves. I am planning on buying a 1200LT. Which jacket liner would you recommend? Will it work along with my Harley gloves? I used to have a dual thermostat so I could control the temperature of the gloves and jacket separately. I don't have it anymore. Which dual thermostat would you recommend?

Thanks very much.

Billy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:22 pm

Get ahold of Gerbing motorcycle accessories. They specialize in heated riding gear and may still be the provider of Harley branded heated gear. They have all the controllers and stuff you'll need.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:44 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I believe that Gerbings does make the HD heated jackets. The jackets, pants, and gloves work well for many folks.

But do not get the Gerbings controllers. They are old technology, and not very well made. For controllers, look at the Heat-troller by Warm-n-Safe. The controllers are better built, more efficient, and made here in the USA. The coax units will plug right in to the Gerbings stuff (rumor has it that Gerbings stole the coax plug idea from Warm-n-Safe, among other things).

I have the Dual Semi-Mounted Heat-troller with their Warm-n-Safe heated jacket and the combo works great.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 1:48 pm Thread Starter

I just checked the Gerbing web site. The thermostat is the one Harley uses but the jacket liner looks defferent. The Gerbing one has a heated collar and the Harley one does not.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2006, 7:57 pm

Thumbs up Liner and thermostat

I would go for the Warm & Safe liners and the Heat-troller. The new liner is the best I've had and my Gerbing is now parked in the closet as a back-up or for guest riders.

Stefan
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 10:40 am

I bought two Gerbing full sets (gloves, socks, pants and jacket liner) from ebay two years ago. The pants have Harley logo on them but they seem to work fine on BMW as well.

Anyway, if you intend to ride in cold weather (from -10 to +10 deg C) you need the full set unless you want to look like a Michelin guy. And make sure the jacket liner has heated sleeves and collar as well. Some people are happy with a heated vest only, which is of course fine if you only ride in cool weather, not cold. And depending on what else you are wearing...
I ride my bike often at below-freezing temperatures and I only have the Gerbings (+ ordinary underwear of course) under my BMW Atlantis 3 nubuck suit. Nothing else is needed.

I second the others with the Heat-Troller. I had at first the portable one-channel unit which controlled the whole suit (upper and lower body together). However I found that many times there was plenty of heat in the upper body but my legs were cold. Then I purchased the permanetly mounted two-channel controller and now I can adjust the heat in my legs independently from my jacket and gloves. This works for me prefectly.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

Pictures of various farkle projects:

post #7 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2006, 1:27 pm

+1 on Gerbings

No matter what make clothing you buy, Gerbing, Warm & Safe or whatever, get a temp control device that is the newer pulse modulated/electronic design.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #8 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Don't like Gerbings Union Ridge pants for heat

I have a gerbings heated jacket liner which I really like. For pants, instead of their liners I bought the Union Ridge pant. I really like the pants but they don't get anywhere near as warm as the jacket liner does. In very cold weather they keep me from freezing, but I wouldn't say they keep me warm.

I have the Gerbings dual controller and think it works fine. I have not tried others to know if they are better, however.

- Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in