Touring Jacket Help - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BennyBob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 8:38 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Touring Jacket Help

looking for some input on a jacket, most of my riding is spring summer fall - when it gets below 50 i tend to put the bike away. looking for something i dont need to bring rain gear with. R1200rt so zero off-roading.

klim/Alpinestars/revit all have coats i like the look of, but from reading unless its gortex it seems the outshell gets wet and heavy and i dont want that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 9:29 am

Re: Touring Jacket Help

Slothy

There's been other threads about this subject that you can get some additional info on jackets...pants too. Do some searching and you can read to your hearts content.

There will be lots of opinions on this subject here. I asked the same type of questions when I was looking and was surprised at the varying responses. What I was finally able to glean out of all of it was this- No matter what you choose, it needs to fit YOUR needs....and your needs will be different from others. Your on an RT, so mostly street riding? Do you like the extra protection/coverage of the Adventure gear? Are you riding in a primarily dry clim....rainy....etc? The peeps here will give you good solid opinions, so take what they throw at you; and then factor in what will best fit your needs and you will be happy with what you end up with.

That said, I live in NW Washington state and often travel over the Cascade Mtns to the aired east side of the hills. So, being able to adjust to different temps/conditions is a must for me. I ended up with the Klim Latitude as it served two functions I needed. 1- Waterproof outer shell. 2- Fall protection. I'm with you in that I didn't want the waterproof layer to be a liner on the inside. About thermal insulation- I approach this as a layering game. Colder rides I'm wearing my Gerbings heated liner under...mid temps and it's just a sweatshirt....hot out and it's just a T-shirt under. I find it is the easiest and quickest way to adjust to the varying clims I get to ride in.

Bottom line is that the last criteria for whatever you choose is that it fit your specific needs. Then gear up and enjoy that RT.

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW R1200RT (wife rides, I fix)
Sedro Woolley, Washington State
post #3 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 9:45 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Touring Jacket Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyB26 View Post
Slothy

There's been other threads about this subject that you can get some additional info on jackets...pants too. Do some searching and you can read to your hearts content.

There will be lots of opinions on this subject here. I asked the same type of questions when I was looking and was surprised at the varying responses. What I was finally able to glean out of all of it was this- No matter what you choose, it needs to fit YOUR needs....and your needs will be different from others. Your on an RT, so mostly street riding? Do you like the extra protection/coverage of the Adventure gear? Are you riding in a primarily dry clim....rainy....etc? The peeps here will give you good solid opinions, so take what they throw at you; and then factor in what will best fit your needs and you will be happy with what you end up with.

That said, I live in NW Washington state and often travel over the Cascade Mtns to the aired east side of the hills. So, being able to adjust to different temps/conditions is a must for me. I ended up with the Klim Latitude as it served two functions I needed. 1- Waterproof outer shell. 2- Fall protection. I'm with you in that I didn't want the waterproof layer to be a liner on the inside. About thermal insulation- I approach this as a layering game. Colder rides I'm wearing my Gerbings heated liner under...mid temps and it's just a sweatshirt....hot out and it's just a T-shirt under. I find it is the easiest and quickest way to adjust to the varying clims I get to ride in.

Bottom line is that the last criteria for whatever you choose is that it fit your specific needs. Then gear up and enjoy that RT.

thanks for your input, That's my problem, i've spent the last 2 days reading my ass off on reviews/post about jackets and now even more confused than ever ahahah.

i'm from Michigan, so we get rain randomly, but if its going to rain that day iwont ride and ill take the care to work. But if im on a trip ill ride thru it, having armour would be nice.

Right now based of descriptions and a few online reviews, the Klim blade seems like a decent coat for what i want to do, i dont mind "layering up" as it gets colder. i coming off harleys, my touring on them was 6-7k mile 2 week trips ever year with a 1/2 helm brain bucket, sunglasses and a dickies jacket with some rain gear when needed. So i'm sure anything is better than that .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale

post #4 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 9:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy View Post
looking for some input on a jacket, most of my riding is spring summer fall - when it gets below 50 i tend to put the bike away. looking for something i dont need to bring rain gear with. R1200rt so zero off-roading.

klim/Alpinestars/revit all have coats i like the look of, but from reading unless its gortex it seems the outshell gets wet and heavy and i dont want that.
It really depends on how much money you want to spend! I have three jackets, but my primary one is my Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket, which to my surprise, they don't make anymore! (Just found out as I went on their site to get a link for you!) This is the link to their jackets present offering: Mesh Jackets | Product Categories | Motoport USA.

Long time riders in this forum will be familiar with Motoport. Their products are made to your measurements, and fits really well. I also bought their waterproof liner as well as the fleece liner. For the three seasons, you shouldn't need the fleece liner. I can vouch for the fact that their liners are first grade, and very comfortable to wear.

The second jacket that I have is a perforated leather jacket (AGV), which is strictly for dry riding, and for temperatures below 90 deg.F. Looks good though!

The third one is an inexpensive Tourmaster Mesh riding jacket with liners. I had bought this because I get hot somewhat easily, and I was looking for something that will allow more air to flow though, and this jacket does it well. OTOH, I had found that the waterproof liner really sucks! Oh it keeps the water out quite fine, but it doesn't breath at all. I was wearing this jacket with the liner in place, just to keep the wind out, in temperatures in the 40s. Strenuous riding caused me to sweat and the liner didn't breath at all, with the end result that I was soaked inside due to condensation!

So, do be careful with your choice of liner materials! It should be at least Gortex. The Motoport liner is not Gortex, but it is supposed to be better, and I can definitely vouch for that!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #5 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 10:02 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadG View Post
It really depends on how much money you want to spend! I have three jackets, but my primary one is my Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket, which to my surprise, they don't make anymore! (Just found out as I went on their site to get a link for you!) This is the link to their jackets present offering: Mesh Jackets | Product Categories | Motoport USA.

Long time riders in this forum will be familiar with Motoport. Their products are made to your measurements, and fits really well. I also bought their waterproof liner as well as the fleece liner. For the three seasons, you shouldn't need the fleece liner. I can vouch for the fact that their liners are first grade, and very comfortable to wear.

The second jacket that I have is a perforated leather jacket (AGV), which is strictly for dry riding, and for temperatures below 90 deg.F. Looks good though!

The third one is an inexpensive Tourmaster Mesh riding jacket with liners. I had bought this because I get hot somewhat easily, and I was looking for something that will allow more air to flow though, and this jacket does it well. OTOH, I had found that the waterproof liner really sucks! Oh it keeps the water out quite fine, but it doesn't breath at all. I was wearing this jacket with the liner in place, just to keep the wind out, in temperatures in the 40s. Strenuous riding caused me to sweat and the liner didn't breath at all, with the end result that I was soaked inside due to condensation!

So, do be careful with your choice of liner materials! It should be at least Gortex. The Motoport liner is not Gortex, but it is supposed to be better, and I can definitely vouch for that!
good info!

after all the reading so far , i decided i want a outer gortex or equiv shell, playing musical liners is something i dont want to deal with. oneo f the bmw dealers about a hour from me has klim, so i may go there this weekend and try em on - i may hate the fitment..

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale
post #6 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 10:05 am

One thing your going to notice going from your HD to the RT is that the wind protection is usually much better. This past year I got caught in a down pour that wasn't supposed to be there and as long as I kept moving I was surprisingly dry. Just a little damp at the head/shoulders, forearms and ankles down.

Klim makes good gear. Others here swear by the Aerostitch brand and other brands like Rukka are no slouch either. I've come to the conclusion that most of these that are being mentioned are going to service you well. Pick a couple that you think will work for your sitch and go for it.

The last couple of times I was picking out gear, I did it through Revzilla. I ordered multiple jackets in different sizes/models so I could do my own test fit at home. Yeah, I had to pay shipping back, but there's no restock fees and I just figure that part of the cost of getting what works for me to the absolute best. Revzilla is very good about taking gear back as long as you dont' get it dirty and repackage it the way it showed up. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Steve and Shari Kramer
2009 BMW R1200RT
2008 BMW R1200RT (wife rides, I fix)
Sedro Woolley, Washington State
post #7 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 10:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

As the others have said, what works for you may differ wildly from someone else. I've acquired several jackets and pants over the years -- from mesh to leather to goretex. The longer the trip the more likely I'm wearing my Aerostich Darien jacket and pants. The jacket has many vents and adjustments for hot weather, but closes up snuggly and has room for a liner and/or electric gear when it cools off. Plus Darien #1 helped me survive a 65 mph crash virtually unscathed. Comfort, fit, style, etc. all aside: protection is what it's all about.

Motor On ,/'

post #8 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 10:28 am

Garage

I wear a Tourmaster jacket and love it. I tossed the rain longer though and don't use it. You'll find that anything that is waterproof doesn't breathe, it's sort of by design. If it blocks water it'll block air too. I think you need to reconsider the no rain gear requirement. With good rain gear in one of the panniers you'll have a lot of options for great jackets.

2000 R1100RT
post #9 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've been wearing a Tourmaster Cortech GX Air jacket for years and love it. There are two liners, the waterproof and the thermal. You can use neither, either, or both. I also carry rain gear on trips. Why?, because the waterproof liner lets the jacket get wet, and even ballistic nylon holds water and gets heavy. The waterproof liner is for cool riding since its a great wind breaker and allows my body to hold heat. If it's around freezing, in goes the thermal liner for the added insulation. If it rains, I put on rain gear. If it's around freezing and rainy, I stay off the road. I don't want to deal with ice on the bike. I hope you find what you're looking for.
Whiskey likes this.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #10 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 12:38 pm

After more than 20 years riding, I bought a Klim jacket and pants last summer based on advice to take only one outfit for rain or shine for my long trip. It was good advice. We traveled the west in July for 8 days and 2800 miles and my Klim latitude jacket and pants were great. Cools nicely with the right thin wicking layer underneath and the vents adjusted properly. Zip it up to stay dry in the rain. I'm very happy with the whole set up. Very high quality stuff.

All twins:
2017 R1200GS low
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2012 Ducati Diavel
2014 R1200RT (gone)
2008 R1200GS (gone)
2007 SV650 Naked (gone)
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge (gone)
2006 Harley Ultra (gone)
1992 Harley Electra Glide Classic (gone)

post #11 of 15 Old Jan 26th, 2016, 4:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

There's a lot of good advice here, and I'm adding my 2 cents...

I have both a Tourmaster Air 3 jacket and pants, and an Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 suit.

Tourmaster

I have used the Tourmaster gear on a cross country trip from CA to Chattanooga and points beyond, as well as separate jaunts to Colorado and Oregon, encountering extreme heat and Storm of the Century rain along the way. Although I carried both sets of liners, I have never broken them out, as it is too annoying to stop, drag them out and put them on. For extreme heat, I first used a cooling vest. At the end of the day, the suit and cooling vest stunk to high heaven, and on longer trips, I ended up washing the suit and vest a couple of times if stopping for a couple of days.

I subsequently acquired a Veskimo cooling vest that worked well in heat, without the stink. After this learning curve, I wanted something that could be worn in all temps, breathed well, would allow the Veskimo's ice to last longer, and alleviate the need to lug around liners or extra rain gear.

Aerostich

In Nov. '14, I bought the 'Stich and have worn it to CCR last year, continuing on across BC and Alberta, dropping back down into Montana. It rained pretty constantly throughout the trip, and I even encountered snow as the temp dropped to 32 in Montana. During this ride, I wore jeans and a sweatshirt underneath and stayed comfortable and dry all day.

The 'Stich is good for temps up to 85-90, but beyond that, I use the Veskimo outfit if riding any longer distances. The nice thing about the suit is that it is one piece and you can wear anything underneath (I've worn shorts and t-shirt and slipped on Teva's after arriving at my destination). Putting on or taking it off takes about 45 seconds and you're good to go.

I have not worn the Tourmaster since getting the 'Stich and it hangs forgotten in my closet.

Good luck on making your decision!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #12 of 15 Old Jan 27th, 2016, 11:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

I just received an email from the good folks at MotorcycleGear.com (a CCR Silent Auction supporter) for a closeout on FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jackets for $209. I am not associated with MG, but am a happy customer.

FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket - 2012 :: MotorcycleGear.com

Motor On ,/'

post #13 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:22 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy View Post
thanks for your input, That's my problem, i've spent the last 2 days reading my ass off on reviews/post about jackets and now even more confused than ever ahahah.

i'm from Michigan, so we get rain randomly, but if its going to rain that day iwont ride and ill take the care to work. But if im on a trip ill ride thru it, having armour would be nice.

Right now based of descriptions and a few online reviews, the Klim blade seems like a decent coat for what i want to do, i dont mind "layering up" as it gets colder. i coming off harleys, my touring on them was 6-7k mile 2 week trips ever year with a 1/2 helm brain bucket, sunglasses and a dickies jacket with some rain gear when needed. So i'm sure anything is better than that .
A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want in color variety. I had bought a Fly Terra Trex 4 Jacket from Rev Zilla ($180) when I still had my HD. Too often the leather was too hot and the Nylon HD jacket was too cold. The FTT4 is both waterproof and has a zip out thermal liner. I also have a Fly cool pro II for the summer. Both are in Hi Viz yellow. As long as there are zippers to open if you get too warm or a layer to take out, and its wind/waterproof, most of the jackets mentioned will work fine, some maybe a little better than others, but it comes down to what you want to spend and how the jacket fits. I have a moderate (but well earned) beer belly and I look for adjustability in the waist area. I had to send back a KLIN I purchased because it was too tight in the middle. Great jacket, just uncomfortable. I guess I could quit drinking and go on a diet, but what fun is that?
post #14 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

i ended up picking up a used alpinestars bogota jacket and pants

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale
post #15 of 15 Old Jan 29th, 2016, 10:26 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighZeke View Post
I guess I could quit drinking and go on a diet, but what fun is that?
no fun at all

2011 R1200RT
1978 R100/7
1973 R75/5 - For sale

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in