Schubreth J1 Helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 8:41 am Thread Starter
ajs

Schubreth J1 Helmet

I have been researching helmets on this site lately because me and my SO are not satisfied with the performance of our Nolan 100E helmets for head buffeting and noise. Too rough and too noisy for our liking. In line with this, we are also in the business of changing the windshield to something more suitable. (seems to be a crap shoot at best)

I have read considerably about the J1 and, for the most part, like what I read. I have some concerns?questions about it though. If anyone out there in LT land has experience with one and can enlighten me ,it would be helpful.

One concern I have relates to the face shield and chin bar design. My perception is it is a full face non flip-up helmet but with the large shield it could be a flip-up or even a 3/4 with the shield up. Am I understanding this correctly?

Another concern regarding the chin bar area I have is the open space between the bar and the neck area of the wearer. Does this create an opening for wind to get up into the helmet resulting in increased noise for the wearer?

Is the sun visor simple to operate, is it effective and does it interfere with the operation of the clear visor in any way?

Does riding with the visor up (my preferred at any speed) change the ventilation characteristics of the helmet? If so, how?

How good is the peripheral and down vision of the helmet?

Does/can the chin bar provide adequate protection as the chin bar of a flip-up would in the event of an accident? I would hope this would be an opinion based on observation and not on experience.

How does it size comparing to others? I had a BMW system 4 that was sized 58/59 that fit well and I believe it was made by Schubreth.

Does Schubreth have an American or Canadian distributor and how do I contact?

Finally, does anyone out there have a 58/59, or equivalent to a small Nolan 100E, J1 they are no longer using or want to replace?

Thanks for your interest, any information about any of the above would be appreciated. Austin S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in