Airbag vests - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:32 am Thread Starter

Airbag vests

I've been considering adding some additional protection to my armored gear. In talking with my riding buddies, eventually the subject of airbag vests comes up...

I know there are several companies on the market that sell these, and I'm interested if any forum members use them.

Hit-Air appears to be one of the market leaders and offers fast deployment time and good coverage. Safermoto is one of the big Hit-Air distributors in the United States, and I have spoken with the owner of that company. My nephew is an AFM Expert-class racer and uses a Hit-Air vest and speaks highly of it.

After doing some research, Motoair appears to be an option as well.

I've even seen one (Armor Air) that uses conventional automotive technology, but I'm a little reticent to use one that has a electrical box and initiator like we have in the car.

I'm just looking at a vest, as I like my riding jackets.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2016, 6:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Airbag vests

rangemaster,
I know it's been over a year since you started this thread but I've just come across it.

I have used a Helite hi-viz airbag vest for about 6 months now.
Because I never plan to come off, I wear it every time I take the bike out, even to go up the road to get petrol. Just click the tether onto the vest and you're away.
I have been the volunteer in a live demonstration of how quickly it inflates. It went from deflated to fully inflated in an instant (80 milliseconds says the literature). Too quick to see even if you're watching intently.
While I was expecting to feel the inflated bladder cover my back and front, what surprised me was how it supported my head (complete with helmet). My head was held from the back and from the left and the right. It then deflates over the next 3 or 4 minutes. Replace the CO2 cylinder and you're ready to go again.
Once you have it on over your jacket it's not noticeable. Because the vest itself has back armour you take the back armour out of your jacket, so it adds less weight than you thought it might.
But the big question is "Will it save my life?"
It might, and it certainly moves the percentages in my favour in avoiding serious internal injuries.

Ian
post #3 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2016, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Airbag vests

Wow..I forgot about this thread...how time flies.

I acquired a Motoair vest, and after really looking at the construction and lanyard of that particular brand I switched to HitAir. I was impressed with the durability of the HitAir and the redesigned high-speed deployment (an advertised 90mS for the cervical collar, with the rest of the inflation following quickly).

We now own 3 HitAir VHR vests...one for me, one for my wife and a spare for a guest. After about 10,000 miles of riding I can say they are very comfortable, and are now part of our mandatory gear.

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Dec 4th, 2016, 12:44 pm

Garage
Re: Airbag vests

I read in a magazine that BMW will be offering their own branded version and maybe even made by one of these companies. I am sure it will be pricey though.

Current Bike: 2018 K1600B
Sold: 2014 R1200RT

Currently live in North Metro Atlanta (OTP)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in