Helmet Visor? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Helmet Visor?

After riding west into a dipping sun several time in the last few months I have come to the conclusion that I must have some kind of visor on my helmet to help my eyes. Even with sunglass the direct sun begins to take a toll on my eyes. Simply placing my hand above my faces shield would give me instant relief. Problem is, you can ride with your hand glued to your helmet.

Problem is, very few street helmets have any way to affix a visor. Does anyone else have this problem and if so, what have you done to take the direct sun out of your eyes. Look, cars have sun visors for a reason, why can helmet have the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Helmet Visor?

I had the same problem, so I ordered a Universal Helmet Sunblocker (Item No. 1052) from Aerostich and installed it on my Shoei Neotec to use in conjunction with the helmet's integral sun visor. I still have the same problem, but to a lesser extent.

Years ago, I had a Bell Star full face helmet that had a snapon visor with a flip up face shield. That one seemed to work better. I'd like something similar, but the Neotec isn't really suited for something like the Bell Star had. So I continue to keep my eyes open, hoping to find an acceptable solution too.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Nov 5th, 2015, 9:35 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I use electrical tape on the visor to shade the sun.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 4:21 am

Garage

Thezz, hi from Oz Down Under.

I'm with Dave, but use '100mph tape' (as its called here - you guys may call it fabric tape).

I cut a paper template years ago so that I have a shape that lies flat but matches the curve of the helmet. When the tape starts to stiffen and lift (probably from overspray of the VuPlex I use to clean the visor - and Tupperware) I just peel it off, clean a glass slab, lay out 150mm (6") of tape sticky side down, put the template on top, box cutter to shape, peel off and stick on.

By tilting my head I can maintain forward and console vision while blocking the sun.

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0311s.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	93490  

Last edited by Sid47; Nov 6th, 2015 at 4:29 am.
post #5 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 9:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I had the same problem, so I ordered a Universal Helmet Sunblocker (Item No. 1052) from Aerostich and installed it on my Shoei Neotec to use in conjunction with the helmet's integral sun visor. I still have the same problem, but to a lesser extent.

Years ago, I had a Bell Star full face helmet that had a snapon visor with a flip up face shield. That one seemed to work better. I'd like something similar, but the Neotec isn't really suited for something like the Bell Star had. So I continue to keep my eyes open, hoping to find an acceptable solution too.
There are several company's that make a Mylar strip that adheres to the upper inside portion of the visor. I have used them on previous helmet visors and they work quite well and are also transferable to other visors of the same profile. They are cheap so 2 or more are good for different visors. I have 2 Schuberth lids and both come with drop down inside sun shades that also work well.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #6 of 7 Old Nov 6th, 2015, 4:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Phil,

I think you are describing exactly what I bought from Aerostich, which does not fully satisfy my need. Here is their description of their SUNBLOCKER product:

"Installation is easy. Simply wet in household solution and slide it into place in the upper peripheral vision area. Your "line of sight" is below the SUNBLOCKER, thus eliminating the glare which comes in from above. It stays in place permanently for year round comfort! No more changing face shields for day or night riding. After riding a few miles, you'll wonder how you ever rode without it! We make two types. The Arai SUNBLOCKER has precut brow vents and the Universal SUNBLOCKER fits all other helmet brands.
Only takes minutes to apply to the INSIDE of ANY helmet with a face shield, including Arai.
The Sunblocker is held firmly in place with no adhesives!
Stays in place permanently in the upper peripheral vision area for year-round comfort.
No more changing face shields for day or night riding.
Especially beneficial to those with skin problems from the sun.
When it's time for a new face shield, simply peel the SUNBLOCKER off and reinstall it in your new face shield. It will not tear or leave any sticky residue!
The Helmet Sunblocker was originally developed for aviation. It eliminates glare and reduces tension, stress, and fatigue. Plus, it keeps your helmet cooler on those hot days. You'll be able to ride longer and be significantly more comfortable at the same time!"

Last year, while riding into the setting sun outside of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I used both my Neotec sun visor and this SUNBLOCKER. That didn't work and I had to hold my hand up while riding to block the sun so I could see the road. A helmet bill, like I had on my old Bell Star helmet worked very well in lieu of my hand to block the sun. Unfortunately, like I said previously, i continue to keep my eyes open, hoping to find an acceptable solution, short of changing from my modular helmet. Even with a full face helmet, it seems like their flip up face shields cannot accommodate a sun visor, since if they flip up with the visor, they would probably fly off the helmet or act as a speed brake.... Dave's (saddleman) electrical tape solution should may work so I might give that a try.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #7 of 7 Old Nov 7th, 2015, 10:54 am

Ok Dave. Yes, with a flip lid none of this will work obviously. With the visor down in a flip or a FF lid, hop over to HomeDepot and get a piece of really dark Mylar film. CuT it to fit your favorite visor and see if that works. Btw, seeing your location, I lived in Granada Hills for 30 yrs and in 2002 moved up months Bay Area (SF). Cheers.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in