let's talk helmets - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By rubertsn
  • 2 Post By Scubadoc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 11:06 am Thread Starter

let's talk helmets

This has probably been covered before, but what the heck...

It's beyond time to replace my ancient RF1000 and been considering a flip (modular) type for a change. With Xmas coming up and the spousal unit and kids asking what I want, I thought this might be the opportune time to put in my request.

So....for those that have switched from fullface to modular - any regrets?

And for those with modulars, any suggestions?

I've been looking at Revzilla and motorcyclegear.com. They seem to have the best prices so far.

Also, if I decide to stay with a fullface, I'm really leaning toward the HJC RPHA series. Seems like they have good reviews.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 12:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: let's talk helmets

You might want to read what WebBikeWorld have to say about the various helmets. The reviews are in their standard format, which make comparison of different brand and model very easy to do.

In my case, I had two specific requirements for my modular helmet, and those are: low noise level; and good ventilation (I get hot very easily!) I ended up with the Shoei Neotec, and have been very happy with it for the past several years that I have owned it.

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 1:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had an Arai Quantum full face I used for years, which was by far the quietest and most comfortable helmet I ever had. A few years ago, I decided to try the modular route and bought a Nolan X-1002...what a noisy, poor fitting piece of crap that thing was! I did use if for a couple of years and finally got so tired of it, I went back to the Arai.

Fast forward to this summer and my purchase of a 2015 R1200RT. Included in the purchase was a negotiated 20% discount on accessories, so I bit the bullet and bought a Schuberth C3 Pro. I can't speak for other modulars (other than the Nolan), but the C3 Pro actually matches the Arai full face for quiet and comfort (even with the relatively noisy factory windscreen on the RT). If your budget can handle it (and the fit works for you, which is highly personal), I would enthusiastically recommend the C3 Pro.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 1:59 pm

My experience on my K1200LT is that my really old, ancient, older Shoei was more quiet than the Schuberth C3 World I have now. But that's my opinion and your mileage may vary.

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #5 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I checked out webbikeworld. The problem I have with all helmet reviews (and Revzilla has some good reviews) is that they are not real world, hence my asking the question here.

I like hearing about others experiences. And thanks so much for those. I figure noise is going to be a big factor with the modulars. I just don't know how much.

Man, I wish I could opt for a Schuberth, or even a NeoTech, but not this time around.

Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad View Post
Man, I wish I could opt for a Schuberth, or even a NeoTech, but not this time around.
You'd be surprised at what you can find on the used market through forums. I would purchase from Craigslist, but if a regular forum member listed anything on the classified section that I was interested in, I'd buy it (and have several times from this forum and others).

I would be interested in other comments in regards to the modular vs. full face. I never considered that the noise was because it is modular. I just figured it was Schuberth.

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #7 of 27 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 5:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
You'd be surprised at what you can find on the used market through forums. I would purchase from Craigslist, but if a regular forum member listed anything on the classified section that I was interested in, I'd buy it (and have several times from this forum and others).

I would be interested in other comments in regards to the modular vs. full face. I never considered that the noise was because it is modular. I just figured it was Schuberth.
Here is a great video comparing the substantial improvements to the C3 Pro vs. your C3 World. He makes the statement that the C3 Pro is the quietest modular helmet on the market (I assume that's Schuberth marketing hype). When I bought my C3 Pro, the C3 Worlds were clearance discounted by $200, but my salesman convinced me the improvements to the Pro were worth the difference. So far, I agree and your experience with the C3 World would seem to support the decision.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #8 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 4:14 am

I have an Arai helmet because it fits my head perfectly. I suggest that you go to some local shops and try to fit some helmets. This can help you decide which helmet to get.
pbsrides likes this.
post #9 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 11:13 am

Fit and comfort is by far the most important consideration when buying a helmet.
I can certainly confirm what Powwow says, I had a Schuberth C2 which was very comfortable, a great fit and quiet in use on a variety of bikes. My mate says the same about his C3.
In contrast the Nolan flip-front that replaced it was comfortable enough but the noise was unbearable, regardless of where the bikes screen was positioned.
I have now used Shark helmets for some time and can't praise them highly enough, comfortable, not too heavy and not noisy (current one a Vision-R), not to mention reasonably priced.
If you want to compare lids as to how well they should look after your brain, look at
www.sharp.direct.gov.uk or the USA's SNELL tests.
post #10 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 1:09 pm

I think buying online without trying out various models at your local dealer is asking for trouble. It doesn't matter how well ventilated or quiet the helmet is if you cannot tolerate it on your head for more than 50 miles. Best way to help decide, once you make the decision between modular and full-face, is to wear one at your dealers and keep it on while shopping for other stuff for at least 30 minutes. While this is no guarantee, you should get some idea if you will have forehead pressure. Arai is the only helmet that makes a long oval, to my knowledge. They do not make a modular helmet. You need to know your head shape before buying.
bigbear and Sleuth like this.

Ed

Previous: 2013 F800GT
Recent: 2014 R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic
Current: 2014 K1600GTL Hannigan trike conversion
post #11 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 2:45 pm

Over the years I have had several Arai, Nolan, and HJC helmets. My last was an HJC ISmax bt and I loved it until it got shaggy after 5 years. I replaced it with the new HJC IS Max 2 and have no regrets. For the money it is a great buy ($188online) I also upgraded from J&M wired to a Sena 20S and it worked really well with an easy install.

Try to find one to try one. To me they seem to be a bit small for the marked size.

Ron

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #12 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 3:30 pm

Another consideration is the usage of Blue Tooth. If you are expecting to move on to a newer RT or a K16 and riding 2-up a lot you should consider the BMW branded C3 with the BMW branded BT system as it is the only one that will allow 2 helmets to be paired to the bike. Just a wrinkle to add to your helmet of choice...

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #13 of 27 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 10:54 pm

I have had a few modular helmets. I really liked my HJC but now am on my second Scorpion EXO 900. They seem to fit me the best of the current offerings. Noise levels are good, but I wear ear plugs anyway som or a big issue for me.
post #14 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 1:47 am

Garage

To add my two pence.

I cannot agree more with the idea of testing in a shop for a while before buying. I have had a couple of Shoei helmets - the last being a modular (Multitech) all of which fitted me perfectly. My wife had the Schuberth C2 - which she hated. After awhile it would begin to hurt her (which didn't happen in the shop - obviously not long enough worn!) When the time came she switched over to a Shoei, and has noted the difference in fit. I am not saying that Shoei is for everyone, just that it fits my wife's head and mine.

Currently I am wearing an Arai helmet - it was the same price as the Neotech - just not modular. Fit is very similar, not problems with wearing it for extended periods.

Regarding the Modular / Full face discussion. The disadvantage of a modular is the noise. They are more noisy than the normal full face - the advantage is you can flip the chin piece up. If you need to prove your identity frequently - then it is a good idea, if not then your decision.

I switched back, partially because the full face is a bit safer than a modular - it is not as likely to break open and expose your chin to the road.

My opinion is Find a range of helmets that fit you nicely. Work out the relative pluses and minuses of these helmets, and then chose the one that you like!

Good luck with the hunt!

Best regards
Sleuth

Current & previous bikes
2010 R1200RT Thunder Grey
1988 K100RT (For Sale)
Suzuki GS850 (Sold)
post #15 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 6:28 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

My options for trying a helmet before buying is extremely limited in this area. The dealers around here carry a VERY limited selection and the nearest bike store like CycleGear is about 2 hrs away.

I am mainly interested in those that have switched from full face to modular. And based on the responses, it seems my suspicions are correct....modulars are convenient but a tad on the loud side.

Thanks again for the input.

Marshall, Tx

post #16 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 8:42 am

I have an HJC SyMax 3 modular and really like the quality, fit, and comfort. I believe modular is the best way to go. HJC is convenient in that you can buy various main shields and retractable sun shields as well as all the interior pads. So after a couple of seasons you can throw away the old sweaty and compressed pads and you have a fresh interior and like new fit.
post #17 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg View Post
Another consideration is the usage of Blue Tooth. If you are expecting to move on to a newer RT or a K16 and riding 2-up a lot you should consider the BMW branded C3 with the BMW branded BT system as it is the only one that will allow 2 helmets to be paired to the bike. Just a wrinkle to add to your helmet of choice...
I don't think there's any such thing as a "BMW branded C3."

Schubert does indeed make the BMW System 6 helmet for BMW, but it's not sold in the USA. You can go to Canada and get one or mail order one from Europe.
BMW Helmets | Enduro, Sport, System-6, Carbon Motorcycle Helmets | Designer Helmets

As regards simply the Bluetooth receiver that mounts on the helmet, indeed the BMW Communicator (which is available) is the best choice. It fits the C3 (and obviously System 6) for sure and perhaps others.

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S
post #18 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 11:37 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

My options for trying a helmet before buying is extremely limited in this area. The dealers around here carry a VERY limited selection and the nearest bike store like CycleGear is about 2 hrs away.

I am mainly interested in those that have switched from full face to modular. And based on the responses, it seems my suspicions are correct....modulars are convenient but a tad on the loud side.

Thanks again for the input.
Doug, This will help you with fit.

Web Bike World Shape Chart

1st find your old helmet on the chart to see what "Shape" it is assuming your old helmet was a good fit for you. I seen people use a helmet for years that never really fit as they just like the way the helmet looked.

2nd look at all other helmets with that same shape to fine one your might like to try.

I had an old Nolan N3 when I rode the LT but after I got the K16 I wanted a new helmet & really wanted the Nolan N4. I tried one on only to find Nolan had changed the shape of the N4 and it did not fit. I used the Web Bike World Shape chart and found the Shoei Multitec was the same shape. The new Shoei Neotec had just came out so I had a hard time finding a Multitec locally. I found one online at a reduced price so I just ordered it and I'm glad I did. It has been the best fitting helmet I've ever had. Hope this helps.

Stevie Shreeve
post #19 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
I don't think there's any such thing as a "BMW branded C3."

Schubert does indeed make the BMW System 6 helmet for BMW, but it's not sold in the USA. You can go to Canada and get one or mail order one from Europe.
BMW Helmets | Enduro, Sport, System-6, Carbon Motorcycle Helmets | Designer Helmets

As regards simply the Bluetooth receiver that mounts on the helmet, indeed the BMW Communicator (which is available) is the best choice. It fits the C3 (and obviously System 6) for sure and perhaps others.
Actually the "BMW" helmets are coming to a dealer near you, according to West Valley Cycles in Winnetka. They hope to receive them sometime in October.
We'll see if BMW actually delivers.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #20 of 27 Old Oct 7th, 2015, 10:13 pm

Over the years I've gone through many helmets and many brands. My full face was a Shoei, and I had no complaints about fit or noise. I'm currently really happy with my Schuberth C3. It's the quietest helmet I've had, and the most comfortable. But that's just me... I tried them on at my BMW dealer and was surprised to find I needed an XL, when I have been wearing M and L for all my others. I was lucky to find a good deal on a barely used one on eBay and then added the SRC collar for bluetooth and intercom. I listen to music most of the time when I'm riding and the sound quality is really good. Schuberths may be pricey, but they are good value and provide top safety. Their warranty makes it even more worthwhile. My 2 cents worth - you really need to try the C3 on before you buy to make sure it's the right fit for you.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #21 of 27 Old Oct 8th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Went from full face to modular and never looked back. Loved the shoei helmets. Our first modular helmets were Nolan sun shield on the outside made it a little noisy. Then after a few years we bought the neotech love those too. Modular helmets are so handy at gas stops or at a light when you want to talk to someone else. Easier to put your glasses on too.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #22 of 27 Old Oct 12th, 2015, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Well, I went to the BMW dealer in Shreveport Fri. They had a whopping 2 helmets to choose from: 1 street, 1 dual sport. Both Arai. Street was a medium - I need a large. Dual sport was a large - I don't need a dual sport helmet.

Then we stopped by a Yamaha/Kawasaki/KTM dealer in Shreveport. Better selection there (somewhat). I tried on an HJC CL17. Nice helmet, good fit. Tried the HJC Symax 2. Nice helmet, but I felt some pressure on my forehead.

Then I found the Shoei Neotec. I wish I hadn't done that. What a nice helmet! But the retail price was around $650. I don't think so.

So, the search continues............

Marshall, Tx

post #23 of 27 Old Oct 12th, 2015, 5:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

Then I found the Shoei Neotec. I wish I hadn't done that. What a nice helmet! But the retail price was around $650. I don't think so.

So, the search continues............
You should be able to get a Neotec online at discount - I used to see them all the time for $584 (still high, but it's a nice helmet)...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #24 of 27 Old Oct 12th, 2015, 8:18 pm

I had a Shoei full-face and currently use a Nolan N90 modular. It may be a bit noisier, but earplugs take care of that. Definitely more convenient at gas stations and other short stops. And a lot easier to put on and take off. You can actually flex the helmet a bit to make it easier. I don't regret the change at all.

But I have to echo what others have said about finding a helmet to fit your head shape. A long oval head will not be comfortable for an extended period in a rounder helmet, or the helmet will have to be sized incorrectly. Neither is a good choice. I first found out I had a long oval when I bought a fedora and it had to be reblocked to fit correctly.

Good luck in your search.

Jeff

2015 R1200 RT Ebony Metallic (the fastest color)
2008 K 1200 GT Deep Blue Metallic (sold)
2002 R 1200 C Montana Night Black (sold)
post #25 of 27 Old Oct 12th, 2015, 8:42 pm
cws

Garage

Here's a cut and paste from 12 months ago on my current helmet (purchased Jan 2013)... still very happy with it, but as with all helmets and daily use, its starting to shows signs of wear on some of the lining materials. Still very comfortable and I liked its inner tinted visor best of all the ones I tried. Only issue was no pinlock visor, not sure if that's changed...

"If you get a chance also try a Shark Evoline modular. I picked the Hakka version.
Fits a slightly rounded head, although the sizing is slightly larger than other brands, so an X in Shark is closer to an XL in the others and is a nice (very) snug fit. After 12 months have been really happy with the size and fit compared to BMW (Schuberth) and others.
Key thing is to make sure its tight all round when new, but not uncomfortably so...as it will loosen with wear. But.. you don't want it to start flopping around on your head.
A new helmet can take several weeks/months even with daily use to get to a final comfortable fit."

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 27 Old Oct 15th, 2015, 9:02 pm

I went thru the same internal debate when I replaced my helmet less than a year ago and ultimately stuck with a full face, the Shoei RF1200. Fits me right, track rated (though not really a deciding factor for me) and the Shoei flip helmet is not, quiet ... I'm happy with my decision.

The one thing I definitely would not consider though is purchasing a used helmet ... You don't really know if it has ever taken a hit that damages the integrity of the helmet, the internals of helmets have a shelf life even if not damaged by a hit, and manufacturers reccomend replacement every 3-5 years ... sure there are some ulterior motives there, but definitely worth considering. Here is something I found with just a very quick search and I am sure you could find more definitive reasons if you care to.

Helmet Fact vs. Ficion: How Often to Replace? - Eagle Leather Motorcycle Gear and Accessories, Gear for the Ride.

I do practice what I am preaching here and have old helmets replaced due to hits or age, hanging in both bike shops, my office, etc. WTH, they make great wall decoration and confidence in the integrity of my helmet is a high priority for me ����
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	973.8 KB
ID:	91841  

Chris

President SCBMWRC

MOA / Airhead Beemer Club
2015 BMW R1200RT / 1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

post #27 of 27 Old Oct 17th, 2015, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

Well, on a whim I stopped by Longview Cycle and Ski just to see what they had. Glad I did.

They had the full line of HJC, including the RPHA and RAPHA MAX. And in my size. I tried on the Max and was really impressed with the fit and how light it was. Then the parts guy "let me show you something I think is even better" and took me over to the Kubuto. Oh, man, I think I have found my helmet. Great fit, great build, excellent reviews. The parts guy has one and says he rides year round and it's one of the quietest flip helmets he's used. He said it's just as quiet as the Neotec.

So, when I got home I did a little research and everything I've read is all good. And online prices aren't any cheaper than retail. It's way cheaper than a Neotec or C3 and about $50 less than the RPHA Max (retail), so Tues I think I'll run by and pick up a Kubuto.

Marshall, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in