Nonoise 11-Month Review - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 11:24 am Thread Starter

Nonoise 11-Month Review

About a year ago I got a pair of Nonoise hearing protectors, and I was sure that I posted an initial review of them on this site but I can’t find it (who knows, maybe it was the chromehed forum or somewhere else).

Anyway, it’s been 11 months since I got them and I am ordering a new set today. I have been using them daily for my commute (roughly 45 – 60 min each way) plus any extra-curricular riding I have done and they have become part of my regular compliment of gear. Prior to the Nonoise plugs I had been regularly using standard earplugs by Flents as a bit of background.

My initial review was something to the effect that it didn’t do all that was promised by the manufacturer but was close enough to the advertised ideal to make it worth it. After a year of using them, the ribs are starting to split, and the post to remove from the ear are starting to tear (more about that later) so I decided that I should stop using them, and being a notorious cheapskate decided I would go back to standard plugs by Flents for my riding. This morning was ride 1 with standard earplugs in 11 months, and I am spending the $30 as soon as I post this review. I am going to change my previously stated opinion of good enough to absolutely necessary.

The Flents provide attenuation sure enough, but it attenuates everything equally, which means that the ridiculous amount of wind noise from helmet buffeting my LT provides is in the same ratio as my music, traffic noise, and intercom. The Nonoise protectors adjust that ratio. On my ride this morning I found I had to drastically increase my radio volume to hear music, wind noise at highway speed was nearly unbearable, and overall everything just seemed louder but less defined. After the last 11 months it was an assault on my ears that was very unwelcomed. So the results of my 11-month test ride is that they indeed do exactly what the manufacturer claims, wind noise is drastically reduced in comparison to all the other noises you hear when on your bike, while all those other noises are reduced slightly but not as much as the wind.

Things I don’t like:
  • Small size – I don’t have big ears, but on more than one occasion I have had them slip in too far and needed tweezers to remove (most likely the cause of the tearing of the removal post). It is always a little bit of a hassle to get them in just the right spot so that they make a seal, better when new and got progressively worse – probably should plan to replace at 6 month intervals going forward. I wish they made a larger size and the only (legitimate) complaint I have would go away.
  • Price – an issue for me, but probably not for most. Going forward I am just planning $60 a year for hearing protection into my motorcycling budget and I’ll just have to deal with it because the value is worth far more than that to me.

Here is a link to the product on Amazon for anyone interested, the new ones can’t get here soon enough!

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C

Last edited by copperstatetour; Oct 2nd, 2015 at 11:33 am. Reason: Updated URL to correct product
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 2:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Nonoise 11-Month Review

Interesting! I have been using the NoNoise since the beginning of the year as well, instead of my usual EAR E-A-Rsoft Grippers. I had found that the NoNoise was very much easier to insert into my ears. I have always had problems inserting any of the foam earplugs. The NoNoise also reduced the noise volume a little more than the E-A-Rsoft. The negative that I had found with the NoNoise, for me anyway, is that after a couple of hours, or more, the inside of my ears hurts! So, I am back to using the E-A-Rsoft, but will be alternating with the NoNoise. The pains wasn't too bad, just uncomfortable after a nice 5-6 hours ride!

Pad. Gajajiva
Solon, OH, USA

2015 R1200RT (San Marino Blue Met.)
2014 R1200RT (Quartz Metallic Blue - Returned to BMW)
2007 R1200RT (Sold!)

Once Upon a Time........
1963 Norton Dominator 650 SS
1960 Triumph Bonneville (T120)
1960 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1952 Triumph Thunderbird (6T)
1932 Triumph 500
1952 BSA Goldstar
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 3:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Before laying out $30/year on a set of generic earplugs, you may want to consider a pair of custom plugs. I have been using Fit-Ear custom earplugs that were purchased at the Long Beach Progressive Insurance Motorcycle Show in Dec. 2013. Price out the door was $65.40 (including tax) with a 3-year limited warranty.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 5:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Before laying out $30/year on a set of generic earplugs, you may want to consider a pair of custom plugs. I have been using Fit-Ear custom earplugs that were purchased at the Long Beach Progressive Insurance Motorcycle Show in Dec. 2013. Price out the door was $65.40 (including tax) with a 3-year limited warranty.
If a custom molded plug included the ceramic filters that are found in Nonoise, I would be all about it. The real benefit to the Nonoise is that it doesn't attenuate (very much) all the sounds you want to hear, it only the sound you don't (wind).

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 5:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
If a custom molded plug included the ceramic filters that are found in Nonoise, I would be all about it. The real benefit to the Nonoise is that it doesn't attenuate (very much) all the sounds you want to hear, it only the sound you don't (wind).
My wife and I have used custom-molded ear plugs (from EAR Inc., I believe) for a few years and like them very much. $100/pair. We also use them when mowing, running tractors, saws, on airplanes, etc. Very useful and comfortable for long-term use. And, you can have different filters installed, as well as electronics for music.

That said, the Nonoise product sounds intriguing. I'll look into it. Thanks for posting your review.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2015, 7:57 pm

Here's another vote for the NoNoise hearing protex. I haven't been wearing them nearly as long as you have, my experience is only 4-5 months long, but they beat foamies all around.

I've worn the custom-made ones, had several sets and they're nowhere near as comfortable as the NoNoise.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2015, 2:40 pm Thread Starter

Got my new ones delivered yesterday (yay for Amazon, they delivered in Sunday!) and used them this morning. The new ones seem to fit better in my ears and didn't seem to want to slip in too far, maybe slipping in too far was something that happened with age.

For $100 I'm going to look into those EAR and in 6 months when it's time to replace the NoNoise I might give those a shot. As I noted earlier, the NoNoise with their filters is like having an EQ for your hearing, just cut out the sounds you don't want to hear.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #8 of 8 Old Nov 7th, 2015, 11:30 am

Here's another vote for the Nonoise hearing protex. I used to wear foamies but inserting them is time consuming, tricky and several times, when I put on the helmet, they'd dislodge and I'd need to start over. It's very rare to see anyone who knows how to insert them properly.

If you insist on using them, take a look at this video, for your own protection.

OTOH the Nonoise protection slides in and out easily.

After wearing them for a few weeks, I came out from a breakfast that I'd ridden to, unscrewed the Nonoise container that is supplied with them, to reinsert them and it was empty! I started looking around on the ground, figuring I must have dropped them, when I was putting the top on the container, before entering the restaurant. Another rider saw me checking the ground and asked what I was looking for. When I told him, a big grin crossed his face the same grin that my kids give me when I can't find my reading glasses, and they're on top of my head. Then I realized that I'd forgotten to remove them when I went into the restaurant. I figure that's an indication of how comfortable they are and how they allow "normal" sounds to pass through them. They cut out the harmful and distracting wind noise but pass other sounds, allowing me to keep my music/communication system turned down quite a bit from what it was when I wore foamies. I'll never go back.

The only drawback that I've found, the first time that I tried them on, was that since they don't interfere with "normal" noises to any degree that I can detect, I thought that I didn't have them in properly so I kept pressing them in deeper and deeper. Then I needed the tweezers to get them out. Some practice in front of a mirror helped me learn just how far they need to be inserted to give protection.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in