aerostich - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2015, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

aerostich

Hey All;

What do you all think is another alternative to Aerostich darien? Im on my second set of Dariens, just want to see options. been doing ALOT of searching. narrowed down to Klim, motoport, fieldsheer (looks interesting for the price). The Rev'it also looks nice. 500$$ range is what Im looking for +- 100$
Remember; if you dont know me, I ride almost everyday (600 miles/week) in SOUTH FLORIDA, (HOT, RAIN). Looking for good ventilation and waterproof with no liner. like aerostich. But we do cross country ironbutt trips too.

thanks all.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2015, 6:15 pm

Re: aerostich

Im in south Louisiana. Right now it is 98 with a 118 heat index. The only gear that works right now is the Olympia Air Glide and BMW Summer 2 pants. And lots of water.

When the temp gets below 80 I can use the Klim jacket with the vents open, and I generally can use the Klim during most of the year. It is great gear, although quite expensive.

I have used and have Motoport gear too. The Mesh Kevlar is comfortable in the heat if you use the hi-vis material. I had a black mesh kevlar and it was a bit uncomfortable when the sun was blasting it. I have crash tested that gear and it worked nicely without much damage to it, although I ended up with four cracked ribs. The Doc said the gear saved much worse damage given the impact I took. The only real gripe I have with that gear is that it is heavy and not too flexible. It does require a bit of time to properly get the armor to mold to your body. I would not get the liner with the Motoport jacket or pants I use my heated liner with a light windbreaker jacket that is good down into the 20's. For rain, the Motoport is best used with a large rain coat and pants over the mesh. It also adds insulation in very cold weather and makes it good into the teens with the electric gear on. I also have the police-style khaki kevlar pants. After they corrected the incorrect inseam length, the pant is good for cool weather too. The armor does not pass much air is is very uncomfortable if you are not moving. I pulled the thigh armor and it is much more comfortable, but would not order it again.

For the Klim jacket, I can use the electric gear with the vents zipped up and be comfortable down into the teens without a problem. The Klim is probably my best all purpose choice as it is a great rain jacket and pant setup without need of carrying additional gear so long as the temp is below 80. Above that it is uncomfortable for me and I switch to the mesh gear.

Aerostitch gear is pretty much uncomfortable down in the South. I have several friends that have various versions, but they only manage to wear it a couple of months a year or when they run up into the mountains.

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Jul 18th, 2015 at 6:27 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 18th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Re: aerostich

I used the Motoport in Pa. but now that I am here in Florida I use a bmw airflow jacket with mesh pants in the hot parts of the year. The Motoport riding pants worked okay for me on trips when it is hot but not unbearable when I would unzip the side zippers down as if I wanted to get in my pants pockets. I would get a nice breeze then. Before I got the BMW jacket I wore a joe rocket mesh jacket and it wasn't to bad. I liked the motoport as the price was better than areostitch and the jacket saved my life in a 65 mile an hour head on collision when some underage drunks pulled a Ford Fairlane in front of me. 2 cracked ribs, small tear in the cartilage in the left shoulder and a bruise all down my left side. And a dead 1983 R80RT of course.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in