Nolan N102 Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Nolan N102 Questions

I am looking at buying a Nolan N102. Do these helmets run true to size? What speakers would work best with this helmet? How is this helmet for comfort and quiet?

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 7:30 am

I own a Nolan N100E, but my riding buddy wears the 102, and I've installed speakers in that helmet.

Do these helmets run true to size? - IMO, Yes

What speakers would work best with this helmet? - Nolan helmets are very "headset friendly", so any speaker from whatever headset shouldn't be a problem to install.

How is this helmet for comfort and quiet? - Comfort is a relative thing. My riding buddy sold her HJC for an N102 and says that she can wear it all do with no discomfort. She is ecstatic about the comfort. All flips-ups are going to be a little noisy. But on the LT, you have so much wind protection, this isn't too much of a factor, IMO. Especially once you install a headset.
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:51 am
Premium Vendor

Morning Todd. Here is a website that has gear reviewed by category. I didn't see the 102 but it may help.

http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/

Also webbikeworld.com has a review on the new Nolan X-lite.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...ite-x-1002.htm

Tony 05

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:48 am

The answer from someone that owns the N102E is NO, they do not run as most other helmets do. I have Aria, Shoie, HJC, and Nolan, I wear a large in every manufacturer except the N102 which is a medium. When We bought one for my wife she got a size smaller than usual also. You really need to try this helmet on in person!
We have the J&M headsets that are sold by BMW dealers installed in the helmets, no more noisey than most. My Shoie RF1000 is more quite but not by much. We like the N102E and would recomend with the caviat of try it on before odering online. I found the best service and price at The Helmet Shop in Daytona Beach. I purchased mine there in person in March and ordered my wife's on the phone. Ordered hers size small instead of the usual Med and it fits great.
Warning, they do make you look more like ET than regular full face helmets, but all flip ups will do that.
good luck
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:07 pm

I have a new Yellow N102 and find the fit, medium fits me the same as the
RF1000 Medium. Not as quiet as I would have hoped for, but not anymore noisier than my HJC System helmet. Not as comfy material as the RF1000 inside. Overall, works fine and great optics thru the shield.....

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I have nowhere close to try one on. Mail order is the only option. I currently have a HD(KBC) flip front in XXL so I imagine Nolan will be close in size. My son has taken a shining to this helmet and I don't want to take it back from him. I'm just glad he is learning young.

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:35 pm Thread Starter

Would I be better off buying the helmet form J-M with the headset installed?

post #8 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Would I be better off buying the helmet form J-M with the headset installed?
Quote:
_

The air rider rep did an install for us at the MOA rally but his system didn't work with the VoiceII intercom on our 06 LT. They took them out and refunded with no problem. He cuts a small hole in the liner on the lower left side for the boom and circles out of the styrofoam on each side and I just did the install in his cutouts. works great.
I have heard that J&M does a real nice job but if you have fitment problems I think you would have to eat it or maybe they would take it back, just make sure you ask them before ordering.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:05 pm Thread Starter

I looked on J&M and they say returns are OK. But how do I connect to BMW intercom? J&M does not show an adapter. Does BMW offer one that works with J&M headsets?

post #10 of 16 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:00 pm

My J&M headsets are the ones BMW dealers sell, just ask the for those and they are mated to the 05/06 Voice II system, just plug them in and go. We are very satisfied with them, quite, clear and no volume issues. Pricey but worth it if you want it to be right.
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:27 pm

Nolan N102

I purchased my Nolan 102 from J&M installed with their headset. Just need to make sure you get the correct lower cord to fit the BMW system. They will advise you on exactly what you need. J&M was great to work with and they will trade wrong size helmets as long as you follow their return policy. As for the comfort of the helmet it is very good. It is quieter than my full face Arie. The features work great and the J&M speakers also work great.
I would recommend this helmet to everyone looking for a good flip-up helmet. I feel that the size runs just a little small but not by much.
Dewman
post #12 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 12:22 pm

Hi-Jack/Resurrect alert!

I'm pretty close to buying a Nolan N102 (not the BlueTooth one) and have a few questions for those with the helmet...

Does that tinted visor rub the faceshield when the visor is down?

Does the tinted visor stay up when not needed or does the wind force it down? I'm talking hiway speeds here (+/- 80mph)..

When the tinted visor is up, does it block the vents? It looks like it might...

Can the tinted visor be completely removed?

Lastly, if you crack the face shield a click or two, will it stay open? The 'ratchets' don't seem as firm as the HJC.

Thanks for bearing with me guys - always appreciate your help when spending money!
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 2:12 pm

Big head amongst other things

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
thanks for the replies guys. Unfortunately I have nowhere close to try one on. Mail order is the only option. I currently have a HD(KBC) flip front in XXL so I imagine Nolan will be close in size. My son has taken a shining to this helmet and I don't want to take it back from him. I'm just glad he is learning young.
I had a Nolan N102 in the XXL and I couldn't wear it,
my head is just too big,
the chin pad was constantly pushing against my chin,
these helmets don't come any larger,
my Arai is an XL (open face) and fits me just fine.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 3:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman
I purchased my Nolan 102 from J&M installed with their headset. Just need to make sure you get the correct lower cord to fit the BMW system. They will advise you on exactly what you need. J&M was great to work with and they will trade wrong size helmets as long as you follow their return policy. As for the comfort of the helmet it is very good. It is quieter than my full face Arie. The features work great and the J&M speakers also work great.
I would recommend this helmet to everyone looking for a good flip-up helmet. I feel that the size runs just a little small but not by much.
Dewman
Agree. I purchased my helmet with speakers from J&M and everything has been great. I ordered the wrong size (too small) and they replaced for me without a problem (in fact they crossed shipped). J&M works perfect with my VOICEII. There website states they have upgraded the speakers to a better pair. My spearkers work great and provide great sound quality.
post #15 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Hi-Jack/Resurrect alert!

I'm pretty close to buying a Nolan N102 (not the BlueTooth one) and have a few questions for those with the helmet...

Does that tinted visor rub the faceshield when the visor is down? No

Does the tinted visor (only) stay up when not needed or does the wind force it down? I'm talking hiway speeds here (+/- 80mph).. w/ windshield all the way down; yes above 75mph or so w/ windshield partially up, generally no and it doe not drop all the way down

When the tinted visor is up, does it block the vents? It looks like it might...no and it somewhat helps to 'scoop' more air

Can the tinted visor be completely removed? yes as can the clear shield and they include end caps.

Lastly, if you crack the face shield a click or two, will it stay open? The 'ratchets' don't seem as firm as the HJC. yes they say open at any level, my visor stays up even when fully opened like when I wear my sun-glasses

Thanks for bearing with me guys - always appreciate your help when spending money!
Also IMO they run somewhat small for my rounder type of face. They will trade different size cheek pads for custom fit. My left cheek pad is XL my right is L in my XL helmet that is now a perfect fit. No problem installing head set and I punched out the cheek pad completely. You should try one on first.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 13th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Thanks Joe - that's exactly what I needed to know!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in