Schuberth J1 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:36 pm Thread Starter

Schuberth J1

Have had the chance to use the new J1 for all day rides as well as daily use around town. I must report that I am even more pleased than I thought I would be.
It is a very easy helmet to don and remove. Extremely light and fairly quiet. Best field of view of any hemet that I have ever owned.
It does have a couple of quirks that are a little disconcerting. The built in sun shade is short and for me the chin strap has an anoying tendency to press against the throat. The chin strap deal may be the over all shape of my bean, but the sun visor is something that should be addressed by the manufacture.
Got the helmet from motoweb.com in the netherlands. They were very good to deal with and exchanged Emails readily for concerns. Cost 570 american. Ship time about two weeks. A bit pricey but I have to say I am happy that I went for it. Wore a string of Arai full coverage for over 15 years. Now relegated to very expensive paper weights.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:06 pm

I have to agree with you on that. I bought mine from the same place, I feel like the sun visor is a little short (but getting used to it), and I came from using Arai helmets. The chin strap is comfy for me. I am very happy with. The best thing I can say about is that I really don't notice it at all, exactly what a helmet should be. Light weight, great visibility, good protection, quiet, good ventilation, great shield release mechanism, ...

Never been happier with a helmet. Not that I have owned a lot of them. I tend to spend heavily on one and keep it for a long time.

You can probably see my lengthy review in the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page.

Eric
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:05 am Thread Starter

Talking

Getting ready for a trip from Indy to southwest ,colo,ut,nm. Going to the BMW rally outside Taos sept 8,9,10. Guess this helmet will have the chance to show its mud. Hope I dont get the chance to test it out completely.
Making the big dash from indy to Colo sprgs and start working west from there over as many of those passes as we can stand.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 2:29 pm

I am about 2.5 hours north of you. I am doing the exact opposite vacation from you, leaving this Friday. I am going north into Ontario, east and south to Nova Scotia, west through ME, VT, NH, NY, PA and back home. City Navigator says it is over 5500 miles. I'll try to remember to post back here with my long term experience with the J1.

Eric
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:02 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The Schuberth sun visor is supposed to be the length it is so that you can see the bike's gauges clearly by looking under it. Some people feel it's too short, but I've never had a problem with glare coming up from below.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in