ZTechnik Rack - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:30 pm Thread Starter

ZTechnik Rack

I'm buying a Ztechnik rack for Liebchen. The real question is whether I will install the rack myself or let the dealer do it. There is no rack on her now so I'd have to drill into the top case and wire it up myself. Here is the question for those who have done it before... how complicated is the installation (keeping in mind that I'm low on the evolutionary tool using scale)?

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 7:18 pm

Easy enough

The install is easy enough for you to do......

The rack comes with a template you must cut out and place on the bike taping it down in a specific order... Then you use another template to measure between the marks... Marker and drill 5/8" holes... Mount her up.

The worst part for me was getting to the brake light wiring which is taped back inside the trunk interior lamp space. Pull the trunk lamp and fish the wire out thru the big hole... Then I just drilled a small hole into the "bulge" which contains the interior light. Fed the brake light wire from the rack thru.

My 99 had spade lugs on the ends so I had to cut off the connector that comes on the rack and install spades...

Good Luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #3 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
The install is easy enough for you to do......

The rack comes with a template you must cut out and place on the bike taping it down in a specific order... Then you use another template to measure between the marks... Marker and drill 5/8" holes... Mount her up.

The worst part for me was getting to the brake light wiring which is taped back inside the trunk interior lamp space. Pull the trunk lamp and fish the wire out thru the big hole... Then I just drilled a small hole into the "bulge" which contains the interior light. Fed the brake light wire from the rack thru.

My 99 had spade lugs on the ends so I had to cut off the connector that comes on the rack and install spades...

Good Luck..

John
Doesn't sound too difficult. I think I'll attempt to overcome my fear of tools ( ) and give it a shot. If I screw it up that'll be me you hear screaming from coast to coast.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:51 pm

John
He has a 2005, so his wire is not hidden behind his trunk light. He should look in the storage area under the mirror, and should have a correct connector.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:01 pm

Good

Quote:

John
He has a 2005, so his wire is not hidden behind his trunk light. He should look in the storage area under the mirror, and should have a correct connector.
Good on ya, Cause that part was by far the worst of the experience....

Have fun...

John

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #6 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
John
"Should have a correct connector" is a phrase that makes my blood run cold... I take it the connection isn't some type of plug in?

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #7 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:22 pm

Yes it is

But the rack comes with the correct connector for "your" bike.

Mine being a 99 was a little different..

Yours should plug right in...

John

post #8 of 14 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:36 pm

It's not as simple as it looks. The curve of the topcase coupled with the inward tilt of the rack legs caused me some distress when I mounted mine. Bottom line, trust the template even though it won't look right when you put the rack on top of the template. Secondly, the hollow bolt wire that the brake light cable fit's through, had a "bad bolt". I had to look around the garage for a quick fix bolt. It's not the best quality, although now that I have it installed, it works fine.

2005 LT AKA:"PHAT BOY"
Dark Graphite

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
I'm buying a Ztechnik rack for Liebchen. The real question is whether I will install the rack myself or let the dealer do it. There is no rack on her now so I'd have to drill into the top case and wire it up myself. Here is the question for those who have done it before... how complicated is the installation (keeping in mind that I'm low on the evolutionary tool using scale)?
As others have told you, trust the template. With that in mind I found that I could tape the template to the top case, verify the fit of the legs before I cut, mark the location of the holes with a marker, & remove the template before I started cutting. I also found that I could cut the holes with a dremel & a rotary saw bit rather than a drill. Gave me more control & allowed me to enlarge a hole as necessary. The holes, if properly drilled, will seem to be a little too tight & necessitate some pressure to get the legs in. Makes for a good fit.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:19 pm

I placed an order for a ZTechnik Rack about two weeks ago at my local dealer. Yesterday, I was told that Z-Technik Racks were back ordered and would be released within next two weeks.

Good luck with your order :-)

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #11 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 8:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKas
I placed an order for a ZTechnik Rack about two weeks ago at my local dealer. Yesterday, I was told that Z-Technik Racks were back ordered and would be released within next two weeks.

Good luck with your order :-)
I ordered mine about the same time as you. Mine has arrived now (took ages to get through customs)

Question for any Z-Tecnic users - does the quality last? Mine seems to have micro-bubbles and I am worried that they may turn to rust.

Will be drilling tonight!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #12 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 9:16 am
Prodigal Son

Have Installed 2

Measure 3 times drill once you see that the legs are in the right place.

1st one was a pain, place template , made holes, apparently legs were bent in shipping, had to teek to fit.
2nd not as much tweeking but still a tad on one leg.
Others posted similar issues then.

That was about two years ago, understand shipping packaging is better haven't heard many complaints lately.

Good rack , a bit heavier than expected.
Chicane makes a great bag to fit.

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:24 am

I received mine about three weeks ago from the local dealer. Installation went very well. I am happy with the quality of mine.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #14 of 14 Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:59 am

I've had mine for 2 years now and it still looks great. I did have the LED pop off when it got snagged by my half cover after I had it 1 years. Called Ztechnik and they sent a replacement right away, great service!

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in