• 2 Post By erikrichard
  • 1 Post By MarinPhil
  • 1 Post By hmbmd
  • 2 Post By Alfred02
  • 2 Post By japgen
  • 3 Post By TracerBullet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2015, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Your thoughts on Jacket brands.

Hello everybody:

im shopping around for a new jacket in the 500 dollar range. I have looked at most of the jackets on Revzilla and today while at the bmw dealer in Denver was checking out their touring jackets. I can read a lot of reviews of non BMW gear and Revzilla has awesome product videos that cover every inch of the product. the thing is I cant find much about BMW gear either with user reviews or other sources. maybe im not looking in the right spots?

anyway if any of you have any experience with BMW jackets and can honestly compare them to brands like Klim, First Gear, Olympia I would love to hear your input .

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Your thoughts on Jacket brands.

This isn't the right forum for this question, but my .02 is if it says BMW on it you are probably paying 2x too much. I've been wearing an Olympia airglide 2 jacket for about 8 years now, it was about $200 with the cold weather liner. Fantastic jacket, went down at 40 mph once and you couldn't tell by looking at it.
CaliDefector and outhouse like this.

'06 R1200RT
post #3 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2015, 8:18 pm

BMW Motorrad gear is top quality. In have 3 of their jackets and 2 pair of pants. True, there are much cheaper brands that are ok. With mc gear, you get what you pay for. Revzilla also have so good quality stuff. Besides, one has to have at least 4 tex jackets and pants and at least 4 leather jackets and pants. Gloves and boots included.
outhouse likes this.

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 R1100RT.

post #4 of 25 Old Apr 25th, 2015, 9:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by outhouse View Post
Hello everybody:

im shopping around for a new jacket in the 500 dollar range. I have looked at most of the jackets on Revzilla and today while at the bmw dealer in Denver was checking out their touring jackets. I can read a lot of reviews of non BMW gear and Revzilla has awesome product videos that cover every inch of the product. the thing is I cant find much about BMW gear either with user reviews or other sources. maybe im not looking in the right spots?

anyway if any of you have any experience with BMW jackets and can honestly compare them to brands like Klim, First Gear, Olympia I would love to hear your input .

thanks.
This is a little for than $500, however it is a great multi season jacket. It has a thermal liner, a gortex liner, and the jacket itself has a number of zippered vents.

REV'IT! Neptune GTX HV Jacket - RevZilla
outhouse likes this.
post #5 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 4:01 am

Over here we have different brands like: DriRider, Rivet and MotorDry

My DriRider Winter jacket is their top of the line...it's fraying at some of the stitches after maybe 20 uses. My top of the line Rivet pants had to have their front zip replaced after less then 3 months. I had the zip replaced by a garment maker with a proper metal zipper...no more problems with that one.

Both items are about 2~3 years old and show their usage. And I am not hard on the gear.
My BMW Airjacket......zero issues. And it's the one used all summer.
My wife's airjacket shows the same robustness.

My boots are falling apart (expensive Italian brand). The previous set lasted 2 years.

From now on (at least over here), it will be BMW boots and garments only.
I am sick of paying 70% compared to BMW gear and they then just last 3 seasons of moderate usage at best.
Nil_Time and outhouse like this.

2014 R1200RT-SE/LC Ebony Metallic
post #6 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:26 am

Check out the Klim lineup. I have been a Klim fan for snowmobiling for years, and recently purchased one of their jackets with matching pants. High quality stuff, gore tex, well designed.
reg26 and tlujet like this.

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded
post #7 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 5:54 pm

Klim and or Aerostich. I have both and am very happy with each.
Patric, tvguy and JNW003 like this.
post #8 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 7:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had a BMW Comfort Shell jacket and pants as my go-to gear for about 6 years now. It has worn extremely well and I've been very pleased with the purchase. It's breathable and totally waterproof, eliminating the need for a separate zip in liner. I've ridden in total downpours for hours (after all, I do live in the Pacific Northwet) and have stayed completely dry. I wear a Gerbings electric liner under it when the temps fall below 45 degrees and have stayed comfortable to under 20 degrees. It has venting zippers front and back, so stays reasonably comfortable in higher temps. You can remove the armor and throw it in the wash.

They are very stiff when you first get them and mine probably took 6 months of wearing before it really softened up, but I've found that is generally the case with really good gear. My wife also has the BMW Comfort Shell and has been very pleased with it.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #9 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 7:18 pm

I've got Olympia, Tour master, BMW...my favorite has been the Tour master for fit and quality, but everyone seems to have their own preference and unique fit. My thought is buy the best quality gear your budget allows and hope you never need to test the durability!
post #10 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 10:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomoro View Post
I've got Olympia, Tour master, BMW...my favorite has been the Tour master for fit and quality, but everyone seems to have their own preference and unique fit. My thought is buy the best quality gear your budget allows and hope you never need to test the durability!
I agree.

I find that Tourmaster / Cortech is hard to beat for the price/quality ratio.

I have the Flex series jacket and pants and love them.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #11 of 25 Old Apr 26th, 2015, 11:56 pm

The last two years I have been wearing a BMW GS Dry Suit. It has served me well in all weather conditions. The GS Suit is a little more airy than some of the others so if it is cold out I add a sweater or fleecy. There is a good article in the latest MOA magazine if you are a member, if not send me a note and I will send you the article.
post #12 of 25 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 7:37 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrichard View Post
This isn't the right forum for this question, but my .02 is if it says BMW on it you are probably paying 2x too much. I've been wearing an Olympia airglide 2 jacket for about 8 years now, it was about $200 with the cold weather liner. Fantastic jacket, went down at 40 mph once and you couldn't tell by looking at it.
I recently bought an Olympia Airglide 4 jacket and Airglide 3 pants.

For the price, I really like them so far. IMO the are not as warm as I expected them to be with all of the liners in them, but based on this, it seems like summer riding with no lines will mean that they flow lots and lots of air.
post #13 of 25 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 9:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegerlotz View Post
I recently bought an Olympia Airglide 4 jacket and Airglide 3 pants.

For the price, I really like them so far. IMO the are not as warm as I expected them to be with all of the liners in them, but based on this, it seems like summer riding with no lines will mean that they flow lots and lots of air.
The liners block all the wind so it basically feels like you are standing still at whatever temp it happens to be. Not sure what other warmth you were expecting

'06 R1200RT
post #14 of 25 Old Apr 27th, 2015, 11:58 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikrichard View Post
The liners block all the wind so it basically feels like you are standing still at whatever temp it happens to be. Not sure what other warmth you were expecting
I felt like I could feel coolness of the wind, even with the waterproof liner and body warmer layers still in there.

I have no problem putting on a base layer to account for this. I'm sure that in the summer this jacket is going to be great, especially with the liners out.
post #15 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2015, 11:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmbmd View Post
This is a little for than $500, however it is a great multi season jacket. It has a thermal liner, a gortex liner, and the jacket itself has a number of zippered vents.

REV'IT! Neptune GTX HV Jacket - RevZilla
Interesting jacket.
post #16 of 25 Old May 4th, 2015, 3:49 pm

Quote:
Interesting jacket.
They are awfully proud of it also.

'14 R1200RT
'12 Tiger 800
post #17 of 25 Old May 4th, 2015, 4:50 pm

I have a TourMaster Flex. Love it , In Mn it works great. Removable outer shell turns it into a vented jacket , shell on warm and water proof. I also have the flex pants. System of jacket / pants covers a variation of conditions.
To each his own , ya gotta find what works for you

Speed doesn't kill - Sudden impact does
post #18 of 25 Old May 4th, 2015, 7:15 pm

I have had great experience with Motoport Kevlar jacket and pants, 7 years, many miles and still going strong. Check out their website:
https://www.motoport.com

Two years ago I received a brand new day glo yellow jacket from BMW. After one season the color was badly faded. Shocking. Otherwise it was pretty good

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #19 of 25 Old May 5th, 2015, 3:59 pm

Tourmaster Intake Air Series 3 has been a great jacket for less than $200.

Perfect for the Florida heat and occasional rain and cold.
post #20 of 25 Old May 5th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Your thoughts on Jacket brands.

I found Tourmaster Intake Air 2 gear on closeout a couple of months ago...picked up the jacket and matching pants. Works great for me here in NW Oregon.

Besides being an armored mesh jacket, it comes with two liners, like the pants; a liner that is rain and wind proof, and one that goes inside of that that's quilted for really cold temperatures.

It's called a "three season jacket "; it has so many snaps and zippers I figured the reason it's called three-season is because it takes one whole season to get the darn liners in and out LOL.

That being said I rarely, if ever, use the quilted inner liner. It keeps me comfy and has plenty of armor.

I've tested it in temperatures from 37° up to 80° so far with no complaints.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #21 of 25 Old May 7th, 2015, 12:32 pm

If your going to spend $500 seriously consider any brand that uses Gortex. The jacket will be washable and retain it's waterproof properties. Anything else is hot when the temps are above 75 degrees. They all say they work but the two that I bought prior to my new Gortex jacket did not provide the comfort and you never have to decide to put the liner in..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #22 of 25 Old May 24th, 2015, 11:02 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Re: Your thoughts on Jacket brands.

hello All:

after much thought and trying on different brands including the BMW stuff. Yesterday I decided to get the Klim Latitude Misano Jacket (high vis). Denver BMW dealer had them for $529.00, so it was right at where i was wanting to spend. and 100 bucks less than online stores.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride, the Temp was 54 and finally not a rain cloud in the sky. it has great venting and wears really well. a Beautiful rocky mountain sunday morning for a ride.

Klim Latitude Misano Jacket - RevZilla
post #23 of 25 Old May 25th, 2015, 12:23 pm

Quote:
hello All:

after much thought and trying on different brands including the BMW stuff. Yesterday I decided to get the Klim Latitude Misano Jacket (high vis). Denver BMW dealer had them for $529.00, so it was right at where i was wanting to spend. and 100 bucks less than online stores.

I just got back from a 100 mile ride, the Temp was 54 and finally not a rain cloud in the sky. it has great venting and wears really well. a Beautiful rocky mountain sunday morning for a ride.

Excellent choice! I have the same jacket and also got he the grey pants. Just one word of my experiance-The light grey and high vis show EVERY little dark smug, bug, grease, etc. Not a huge deal for me-I like the well worn look but if you like your gear clean at all times It's gonna drive you crazy. Your really going to like it when it starts raining and all you do is keep going!

2007 BMW R1200RT
2005 SV 650 "nekid"
post #24 of 25 Old May 26th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred02 View Post
Over here we have different brands like: DriRider, Rivet and MotorDry

My DriRider Winter jacket is their top of the line...it's fraying at some of the stitches after maybe 20 uses. My top of the line Rivet pants had to have their front zip replaced after less then 3 months. I had the zip replaced by a garment maker with a proper metal zipper...no more problems with that one.

Both items are about 2~3 years old and show their usage. And I am not hard on the gear.
I imported a dririder jacket a few years ago. I was so unimpressed it went back within a month!! Frayed stitching, Faulty zip, draughty, Snap fasteners falling off.etc

post #25 of 25 Old May 28th, 2015, 7:58 pm

Quote:
hello All:

I also have the same jacket and pants combo. You will love the jacket especially. Good choice!

2015 R1200RT WC....Ebony, fully loaded

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in