long sleeve shirts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2015, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Talking long sleeve shirts

hey All;

Opinions on long sleeve shirts for hot humid weather under my Darien?
Think Florida in august. I do put ice in my suit and works great, but I ride a hour each way to work and the ice is gone pretty quick. And I know the sweat doesnt do my jacket any good.
I tried just a regular long sleeve cotton, great as long as I dont stop. and I 95 stopped in traffic in August, just OMG.
Ideas. I though I saw some post earlier with info. Search doesnt do much good unless you know the exact words.

Thanks.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: long sleeve shirts

I like the UnderArmour style of fabric. It wicks and dries quickly.
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2015, 2:26 pm

I've been buying stuff from a little Mom and Pops company out of North Carolina. www.liquidpeace.com They focus on surfing gear but their long sleeve Rash Guard works great under another shirt. They are normally under $20.00 when the "name brand" stuff is closer to $35.00.

I've also found that a collared shirt works better than a t-shirt for keeping the jacket from getting dirty as quickly when the temps start climbing.

Wonder how a bag of peas would work in a Zip Lock Bag? They sure did the trick after surgery. haha.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2015, 2:53 pm
Lifetime Supporter

What you wear depends on where you're going, i.e., work, pleasure, or other.

I'm retired now, so I don't have to be concerned about riding to a work location and can avoid Los Angeles' rush hour traffic.

When I ride in hotter weather, I used to wear a cooling vest I bought from Cycle Gear for about $30 to wear under my Tourmaster Air mesh jacket. It worked ok, but you ended up wet and then it would re-wick with your sweat and ended up stinking to high heaven. I also used a cheap hydration backpack I bought from Costco.

I then bought two versions of the Veskimo cooling units, used, from one of the guys on this site and have been very happy with it. There are two types, both of which use the same cooling vest with nylon tubing that allows ice water to circulate around your chest and back. The first type is a self-contained hydration pack that you can use to both rehydrate and keep cool while riding, and the second type is an insulated ice chest. Both types contain electric pumps to recirculate the water through the vest. The hydration pack is probably good for 1-2 hours before the ice melts and you need to stop to refill with ice. The ice chest is good for approximately a tank of gas and great for longer trips. Although an expensive solution, the advantage of the Veskimo system is that you don't end up wet, and the battery operated hydration pack can be used in a variety of settings - bicycling, gardening, hiking, motorcycling, etc. Both Veskimo units can be either plugged in to your bike for power, or operate with a lithium battery pack.

I also just bought a wicking undershirt at Costco and tried it out last week, but it really wasn't hot enough out for me to see if it was any good yet.

Stay !

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in