Chicane Bag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Chicane Bag

Is it just me...or does this thing mount 180 degrees in the wrong direction?

Not sure I like it. The map case blows, thank god for Garmin.

I do like it over the OEM bag, but just not sure I like the badging saying "chicane" going backwards.....a lil OCD I think....

Also, is there a trick to using it so your oddments box can latch? I have to be brutal with mine to get to latch....just short of SLAMMING which is hard to do with the bag full.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:40 pm

The map pocket does suck...but anyone who doesn't know that by now after it's been said in this forum 4 million times is simply NOT paying attention.

As for closing the oddments box. I learned that the trick was to push your thumb into the rear of the bag, then push down. Mine closed very easily using this method. Others have filed this away, and whittled that away. I never found the need to modify anything...just change my technique a leetle.

HTH
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:03 pm Thread Starter

Don't think, fall in with the Mob

Joe,
Actually, I haven't read anything to this point about the chicane bag other than it was Desired...wanted, sought after, demanded and SLOW production. So, I seen one available and I Jumped on it. Price wise, I did EXCELLENT< and the bag is amazing....just hate that it is upside down and it is hard to close. I have a wife that is a magician with a needle and thread....so when she gets back from the "Grand Sand Land" in October, I will have her cut the loop in the middle, and then sew a little.....I mean a leetle bit of elastic between the two loops, and then that should help me get around that. OR I will tuck in the loop all together and mount a piece of Duralock/Superlock on the underside.

I will do a leetle research and see what I can come up with.

Thanks Joe

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
...just hate that it is upside down
Frankly, I just don't see what you're seeing!

post #5 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:37 pm Thread Starter

Must not have had glasses

Not sure...man...I am crazy...mine sits exactly like yours. I just set it on there the night I got it for a minute, and could have SWORN the tags on the side that said "Chicane" were backwards... I just went out to check it, and it is weird...I guess I just felt it was upside down do to the map pocket and the top pocket...seems as if it would be better utilized looking down instead of having to lean back and then look down at the map pocket and then the little top pocket opening the other way.

I guess once I get used to it..it will be ok. My Big Mak bag on my RT seemed AWFULLY weird with the floating platten. Now I wouldn't trade it for anything.

OK....now on to bigger and better thins.... JOE, what is the "visor" you have on your dash? Is that the RCU version for the LT? I have an RCU on my RT.

Also, where can a normal low mileage riding schmoe like me get a nice big square Key such as you.

I can't handle seeing things I want...haha. My credit cards will all be cut up the morning BEFORE I meet ARI and his bike....is it bad I want to see his bike more than meet him....

Hey Joe....thanks for that tug.... it pulled my head right out of there!!

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:42 pm

I theenk he mean where it say Chicane on the leetle pokkett, you cain't read it cuzn it's upside down. (Just trying on this new vernacular....)
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsauer608
I theenk he mean where it say Chicane on the leetle pokkett, you cain't read it cuzn it's upside down. (Just trying on this new vernacular....)
Go to bed Deb! You're obviously sleep deprived!

(By the way...did you see the pics of my GT w/ the top box painted? YUMMY! )
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:52 pm

Quote:
JOE, what is the "visor" you have on your dash? Is that the RCU version for the LT? I have an RCU on my RT.
It is just that...a visor. But I still used it as my GPS mount because I was being so ridiculously cheap! It's made by RMH Tech. CLICK

Quote:
Also, where can a normal low mileage riding schmoe like me get a nice big square Key such as you.
You send me $10 (paypal?) and your address, and I send you one. Simple.
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Paypal....it is

Joe,
Let me know what address.

Is it just the cube or the cube with the key? If so, I will need to get a couple blanks. The only keys that came with mine are the black plastic ones with the weird shaped head. On my RT< I have a Metal BMW Key shaped that way with the BMW logo on top. Haven't seen them...can't remember the Part number for them either.

I do like yours, as I do not have ANY other keys with me when I ride. And the previous owner must have, as I can see wearing in a circle around the ignition from the other keys swinging and rubbing while riding.

On that Link where you got that visor...have you seen the Driver area bags? Is it a good item, or just in theory? With the Chicane, and my ARI special Cup Holder, just trying to figure out if they would work and if they are worth it.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:32 pm

I'll PM you my paypal address.

You would need one of the metal keys without the black plastic. Your dealer should be able to get you one cheap. I got 6 keys with my LT. Two w/ the plastic, 4 without. Once you have the metal key cut, you just slide the key into a slot and tighten a small Allen set screw.

A&S Cycle sells round ones for something like $20, maybe a bit more.

As for the other products on that page, I opted not to get them. I would think that they would bother me and be in my way. If not actually in my way, they would seem like they were. No thanks.

For a nice little bag that utilizes dead space on the LT, buy a "Stingray Bag" from forum member Tom Gallo (aka tmgs). Affordable, and a great place to put small things. And it comes with a sidestand foot and tether...what a bonus!!!
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 9th, 2006, 2:02 pm

Quote:
pieceofficer]Is it just me...or does this thing mount 180 degrees in the wrong direction?
Bill I know you work in law enforcement (narcotics)
I'm just wondering, have you been inhaling?

Quote:
Also, is there a trick to using it so your oddments box can latch? I have to be brutal with mine to get to latch....just short of SLAMMING which is hard to do with the bag full

There's a little modification that works well, all you need is a rat tail file (see pictures)

Also the key mod might be what you're talking about check this out:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0055.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5723   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0057.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	5724  

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 3:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I have the RMH side bags. They're fine for what they are, although the vinyl isn't quite the same quality as the LT's side panels. They're good for storing windshield rags, a small flashlight, light gloves, etc. I can't use a tank bag due to my GPS mounting, but these are handy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 6:56 pm Thread Starter

Yea, just a little sniffing...

Hans,
I will do exactly what you have done on yours. That should do it for me. It is driving me crazy, Kali and I were out today and she is ALWAYS saying "Daddy I want my speakers off"(her intercom) so then I will raise it to turn the speakers to external, then in 10mins "Daddy, I can't hear the music your going to fast" so, back into the box...haha, So, I have been just riding with it closed but not latched.

The RMH side bags...I think in theory they are perfect, but just not digging the vinyl...looks to shiny and cheap...you know kinda like a Harley...

I will have to see where Ari has me mounting my cupholder to see what room I have available, but as I said, my wife is a genius on a sewing machine...maybe she can fab something. I would even for for a 900-1200 denier fabric there over the shiny vinyl.

The keyfob thing doesn't fit my need, but very ingenuitive. I think Joe will have me fixed up pretty quickly when I get my nice BMW Lego Block for my key..haha.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in