Recommendation on riding boots - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Recommendation on riding boots

Hi All,

Well, I've finally decided it's time to get actual motorcycle riding boots. I've been wearing various things over the years which don't come up over the ankle and I'm probably risking it....

In addition, I'm planning a ride around the US in September, and I know the things I've been using won't hold up to various weather (re: rain) I'm likely to encounter.

I did a search, and didn't see much at all on boots, but my apologies anyway if this is something that's been beat to death on the site previously.

I would like something that is sort of soft around the ankle, bc too much ankle pressure tends to bother me (until work boots are broken in, they drive me nuts!).

Would also like something that doesn't look bad off bike (subjective, I know) so it will be versatile in my X-country ride w/o meaning I'll have to pack other shoes.

Please help! Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:51 pm

One piece of advice, stay away from anything manufactured by NITRO...I was putting my RT on its center stand and the footrest punctured right thru the sole of the shoe, impaling itself INSIDE THE BOOT. I couldn't get the boot off of the centerstand, on the other side of my bike was MY CAR so I didn't want it to tip over away from me, and if it fell towards me I'd have crushed my ankle, I fortunately was able to cut through the shoestrings under the leather flap with a pocketknife. Nitro's response? "Well, if you take it to a local dealer and they determine the boot was defective, they can send them to us and we can send you another pair."

Spend the bucks and get the BMW brand, you'll have a brief moment of hyperventillation at the price, but you'll be guaranteed a good fit from the first ride, the waterproof models are exactly that, and the leather is not only glove-soft, but you'll find that they'll last as long as three pairs of cheaper boots.

my two cents

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:27 am

I have a pair from Sidi. They were rated best for waterproofing (soaked for 3 days). I rate them tops for comfort. I wear them to commute to work everyday and new stinky smell. They're of a good stiff sole and easy on/off velcro closures. Where I live the rain isn't as much an issue, but I know PA enough from first hand experience the guess that you'd like the waterproof quality.

Good luck with your shopping...

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:48 am

I am a fan of Diadora boots. For just under $120, you may want to try these, or these. Both are waterproof, but the one is obviously a shorter, hiker-type boot, which may provide your ankles with more comfort.

The only problem with buying boots online is fitment. I wear a size US 12 shoe all day long. But with motorcycle boots which are typically made in Italy, I wear a size Eur 47 . . . which is considered more a US 12.5, or even a size US 13. A little food for thought...

I do have a new pair of SIDI boots on order. But they were more than double the cost of the Diardoras. I think the Diadoras are a great way to get into a "real" motorcycle boot, but at an entry-level from a cost stand-point.
post #5 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 5:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
The only problem with buying boots online is fitment.
Well, you get a hearty amen from this part of Tejas. I wear a 10 1/2 EEEE. You call a boot company explaining how you want a waterproof boot with EMPHASIS on the fat feet. They say they can fit you and send a boot I can't even get a foot in. You wouldn't believe how much money I've spent on postage sending boots back. One company refused to take them back unless I wore them. I sent them back with the boots split off the sole on one side. They believed me.

Redwing and Wolverine make a boot that fits, but my left ankle is fused, and while they worked on Harleys, they won't work on BMW. Can't get under the shifter reliably.

I've had the same pair of handmade Z-Technics for over five years now. Just mink oil the snot out of them before a trip.

I don't know why Europeans don't have fat feet. Mayhaps they don't have fat heads.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:31 am

Cortech Solution

http://www.whitehorsepress.com/produ...oducts_id=5117

I just sort of got these by accident from another LT rider who sold his bike and had only worn them once. I've worn them for the last 6K miles and they are unbelievably comfortable both on and off the bike. Waterproof and reasonably priced too...

Kevin B. Sawatsky
Caddo Mills, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'03 Yamaha FJR1300
'08 Kawasaki KLR
post #7 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Hi All,

Well, I've finally decided it's time to get actual motorcycle riding boots. I've been wearing various things over the years which don't come up over the ankle and I'm probably risking it....!
look at redwings, they make a motorcycle bnoot that is waterproof, I've been wearing the same pair red wing for three years now (although mine are not the MC specific boots)
but they are goretex with thinsulate and have not leaked one time, Iwear them weveryday as they are 9" tall boots which helps support my bad leg

they are great and last!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #8 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Well, you get a hearty amen from this part of Tejas. I wear a 10 1/2 EEEE. You call a boot company explaining how you want a waterproof boot with EMPHASIS on the fat feet. They say they can fit you and send a boot I can't even get a foot in. You wouldn't believe how much money I've spent on postage sending boots back. One company refused to take them back unless I wore them. I sent them back with the boots split off the sole on one side. They believed me.

I don't know why Europeans don't have fat feet. Mayhaps they don't have fat heads.
You think you have it bad, I wear 15 EEE, NOBODY makes a "riding" boot that size. I found a pair of redwing "work" boots that are water resistant...but thats it. If anyone sees a 15 wide anywhere please let me know.
post #9 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:21 am

Hate this company

While I hate the place I got the boots (because they wont, look past the dollar bill bean counter mentality)
I have a pair of combat touring boots made by Sidi (bought them through dollarstitch) they are not cheap, take time to break and I'm not even sure if they are completely waterproof.
I have had them about 4 years, (well over 100k) they have been through 4 bikes, have been resoled once, have went down on a bike totaled at 65mph (deer) without a hitch.
Anything more than a breakfast run (250 miles one way is a breakfast run) I grab them. Late Sept. when I train for winter riding, by finding just done tar and chip roads to run for effect, I grab them (Yes I put a day aside just for that, helps keep me alive. Sliding on wet leaves or snow towards a guardrail and drop off is not the time to try and remember. What to do, has to come instantly, stop to think. Game is over your dead)
Just wish I could point you into another vendor to buy them.
Rock
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I hear you, Grif.

But Euro sizes are pretty deceptive. Myself, I wear an 8 1/2 EEE, so I've got a similar (but smaller) problem. Even finding shoes that fit is a challenge, let alone something as specialized as motorcycle boots.

Euro shoe sizes are based on a different "last" (the form they build the shoes around). They are generally wider than US sized shoes & boots. I can't come close to squeezing into a US D width shoe, even in size 9. But for some reason a Euro size 42 almost always fits me. Snug, I admit. But leather is great stuff, and stretches with a bit of wear. My current moto-boots are Richa's in size 42. They were a bit tight at first. Now they've not only stretched to complete comfort, but are a bit big unless I'm wearing heavy socks.

So: don't take the Euro size conversion tables too literally. Read into 'em a much wider footbed than you'd get for the equivalent US size medium width shoe.

Hope this is helpful.

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999
post #11 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:46 am

Cool

Black Steel Toe engineer boots, Walmart, $49.00 Lasted 3 years now, all kinds of weather.

Waterproof as they are so thick and I have also applied silicone protection.
Thick enough at the shins for serious protection as well as the toes and ankles. Comfortable to walk in.

We don't need no Stinkin Badges!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #12 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:07 pm

Boots

Look into Chippewas,I've been very happy with a pair I bought 5 yrs ago'They are tall so you need boot socks,split up the side with velcro fasteners.Keep them oiled and they are pretty waterproof,although I did ride from Atlanta to Naples.Fl through hurricane Francis and they absorbed a bit of water then.I've been told a lot of motor cops wear these boots.
post #13 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 1:18 pm

boots

Quick note,Chippewa boot I have is style# 27862
post #14 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:56 pm

I tried three different boots, then finally decided to spend more money and went with SIDI. WOW! No break in at all, felt like I had been wearing them for a long time right out of the store. Great comfort, and NO MORE WET FEET! They are not cheap, but worth it.

Several styles on sale now here:

http://www.newenough.com/product_group_boots_sidi.htm

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHutchins
So: don't take the Euro size conversion tables too literally. Read into 'em a much wider footbed than you'd get for the equivalent US size medium width shoe.

Hope this is helpful.

Don
Conversion tables my ear! I did the foot table, where I tried sliding feets into every brand I could get my mitts on. No love.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #16 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 4:03 pm

boot reccomendations

For boots that are good off the bike and waterproof

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle1.jsp

I have had mine for a few years now and when they get really tatty I will send them back foor refurb. They also do custom made and very large sizes. very highly regarded company.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #17 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:22 pm
Rider Journeyman

Howdy Mike,

In my opinion the BMW Contour Plus touring boot is one of, if not, the finest boot you can get...at any price.

I have a pair and they are in a word, "Fantastic". Comfortable, adjustable, easy to get on and off, look good, blah, blah, blah....

At $200 they are a very good value.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #18 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
In my opinion the BMW Contour Plus touring boot is one of, if not, the finest boot you can get...at any price.
I looked at those....but I'm a full-length side zipper man myself. But I just might have to try those if I'm not fully satisfied with this pair of SIDIs I have coming...
post #19 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
For boots that are good off the bike and waterproof

http://www.altberg.co.uk/Web/motorcycle1.jsp

I have had mine for a few years now and when they get really tatty I will send them back foor refurb. They also do custom made and very large sizes. very highly regarded company.
Thanks mate! I do believe this will do the trick. Talk about excited, I'm cartwheeling here. I've searched forever for a waterproof boot and these are cracking!

I emailed them an enquiry and we'll see what happens.

Thanks again!!!!!

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:45 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I looked at those....but I'm a full-length side zipper man myself. But I just might have to try those if I'm not fully satisfied with this pair of SIDIs I have coming...
Howdy Joe,

I have heard good things about Sidi's, but no experience.

FWIW: I've the BMW Pro Race w/side zipper as well and the lace system on the Contour Plus is, IMHO, far superior in ease of use and adjusting for comfort.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #21 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 8:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
FWIW: I've the BMW Pro Race w/side zipper as well and the lace system on the Contour Plus is, IMHO, far superior in ease of use and adjusting for comfort.
Thanks. That's good to know. Who'd a thunk?!
post #22 of 22 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:32 pm Thread Starter

Sidi boot experiences?

So, quite a few people have mentioned Sidi.

Does anyone have direct experience w/ the Way Tepor Boot?

http://www.newenough.com/sidi_way_tepor_boots_page.htm

They seem like a good price - and aren't bad looking at all.

Also - any idea how the run size wise - the site says they run pretty true to size, but.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in