Good Helmet For Comm System - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Good Helmet For Comm System

Hi,

I've never worn a full face helmet before, but am considering one so I can ride safely atop my new LT, and I've got a ton of questions:

Is there one helmet that is "the" helmet to get for use with a communication system?

Are there any full face helmets with speakers/microphones pre-installed? Is that a good option, or is it better to pick and choose the components?

My bike is an '06 K1200LT, and the communciation system is the one that comes with the bike.

What features do you consider as "must haves" for a full face helmet.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Scroll down for my comments in RED...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Is there one helmet that is "the" helmet to get for use with a communication system? - More important than how easy a comm system headset installs into a helmet, is the fit of the helmet to your head. If the helmet is not comfortable enough to wear for hours, or days, what good is it? having said that, I love the Nolan helmets. Either the N100E, or N102 should fit your head...and headsets install very easily into them.

Are there any full face helmets with speakers/microphones pre-installed? Is that a good option, or is it better to pick and choose the components? - Yes there are...but I would never go this route.

What features do you consider as "must haves" for a full face helmet. - Now that I've owned my first flip-up full-face helmet, I will never go back to a non-flip helmet. I'll be buying a new Nolan next spring.

Thanks. - You're welcome.
post #3 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Quote:
Hi,

I've never worn a full face helmet before, but am considering one so I can ride safely atop my new LT, and I've got a ton of questions:

Is there one helmet that is "the" helmet to get for use with a communication system?

Are there any full face helmets with speakers/microphones pre-installed? Is that a good option, or is it better to pick and choose the components?

My bike is an '06 K1200LT, and the communciation system is the one that comes with the bike.

Thanks.
I have to disagree with Messenger 13. J&M offers the Arai Profile with the headset installed. Arai is much more expensive than Nolan, but you get what you pay for in a helmet.

Here is the link:

http://www.jmcorp.com/Arai-Clampless.htm

You would have to buy the lower cords separately from your BMW dealer.

My 2 cents,

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 5:41 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
I have to disagree with Messenger 13. J&M offers the Arai Profile with the headset installed. Arai is much more expensive than Nolan, but you get what you pay for in a helmet.
And if his head doesn't fit the Arai properly, should he still buy it anyway?
post #5 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 7:17 pm

pre fitted helmets

I moved from an Aria QuatumF to a BMW system 4 which was nice. I am now on a System 5 helmet which is available with Bluetooth pre installed which would be nice but expensive. As Joe said get a helmet that fits is more important than intercom as most can be retrofitted. Of course as you cannot buy BMW helmets on your side of the pond this post is of no use to most of you ;-/

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Thank You

I can appreciate the "fit" comments. I once had a 3/4 helmet, with a comm set for my Ultra. That helmet never felt quite right from the moment I put it on, but it was for sale, and my financial officer thought it was too good to pass up. The result was the helmet, after many modifications, sits somewhere in the garage used.

I am going see if there are any local dealers that carry the Nolan and Arai helments, and try them both.

Thanks again.
post #7 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
And if his head doesn't fit the Arai properly, should he still buy it anyway?
Well, Joe...I sure don't know which helmet would fit him best. I guess you have seen his head.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

735,834 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 84,612 miles (new)
Total BMW miles 497,451
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383
post #8 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 8:58 pm

"Now that I've owned my first flip-up full-face helmet, I will never go back to a non-flip helmet. I'll be buying a new Nolan next spring."

I've never seen any studies regarding the relative safety of a flip-up full face helmet versus a full face helmet. Since the whole purpose of wearing a helmet is to protect your head I think your comments are based soley on convenience factors versus safety. For me that's a very weak reason to purchase a helmet - no matter what the brand.

All I can say is that based on my gut instinct (and the fact that I have landed on my face on pavement and survived while wearing a full face helmet) I would think that the protection afforded by a flip-up full face helmet is somewhere between a 3/4 and full face. More parts/hinges/components almost ALWAYS lead to more potential failure points and a less protective structure.

It is evident that the "leading" helmet manufacturers have been building helmets that are way too hard - allowing your head to bounce off pavement like a golf ball. Paradoxically, the off brand junk from China and Korea - by virtue of their inexpensive and technologically inferior parts and materials - allow more absorbtion of G forces since they are softer. They are indeed BETTER at doing the number one job: keeping your brain from violently slamming into your skull.

The whole idea of helmets is to reduce G forces, period. Buying a helmet for looks, graphics, convenience features, ventilation and yes - even fit (since it is relatively easy to modify the liners of most helmets produced during the last several years to get a comfortable fit) is secondary.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 6th, 2006 at 9:21 pm.
post #9 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks.
Here's what you need - you just can't have it - YET. I would not waste my money on anything until something like this comes out, my bet is we are about one to two years away from seeing it (and competitors) in the US marketplace:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3246/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW helmet.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5640  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Aug 6th, 2006 at 9:19 pm.
post #10 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Here's what you need - you just can't have it - YET. I would not waste my money on anything until something like this comes out, my bet is we are about one to two years away from seeing it (and competitors) in the US marketplace:

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3246/
Thanks, looks great, but in the meantime, I do believe a fullface helmet is the next thing I should purchase.

Didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest, but I suppose when the subjective outweighs the objective, that is the natural result, and for the most part the choice of helmet is a subjective one.

But, it never hurts to hear from people whose heads are still intact (The Nolan crowd, etc.) .
post #11 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:35 pm

I think you need to read this - the entire article - before you plunk down your hard earned money on a new helmet. Guaranteed to put you to sleep, but you need to study it since we're going to have a pop quiz tomorrow morning on helmets!

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

(I've got a new 2 new Schuberths on order to replace my three year old Arai's... I really hate to spend $1300.00 on new helmets, but then again, like the old Bell Star ad from the early seventies said: "If your head is worth $50, then buy a $50 helmet" or something like that... )

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:37 pm

For me the best for all day comfort is the HJC AC-3. The ear pockets are deep enough that the speakers don't touch you ears.
post #13 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
For me the best for all day comfort is the HJC AC-3. The ear pockets are deep enough that the speakers don't touch you ears.
A similar model, the AC 11 placed next to last in the G force rating at 194, not good...

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:53 am

My wife and I purchased Nolan N100E helmets this year. We love the fit and the flip-up design is great for riders who wear glasses. As for the safety, they lock down securely and I do not see any reason why they would compromise safety in the unfortunate event that you should need the protection.

Since we did not want to spend $660 for headsets from BMW, I bought the IMC headsets for $80 each (total $168 with s&h for both sets) from Sierra Electronics and we love them. I took me about 15 minutes each to install. The voice and music quality is great and they come with the lower cord included in the above price. One very nice feature is that the speakers are very thin and I did not have to do any modification to the lining, I just stuck the velcro to the lining over the ear recess and they are very comfortable.

I recommend trying on several different manufacturers helmets as they are like riding clothes, sizes vary widely. Then check the internet for the best deal once you have decided on the helmet and size. IMHO, Shoei and Arai helmets have always been overpriced without additional safety benefits, but if one of those is the best fit, go with it.

Ray

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 2:15 pm

European helmets

After reading Ron's comment about the strength of Flip front helmets like the System 5 that i have I had a look round the web. The BMW helmet meets ECE R 22/05 standard which applies to both open face and Full face helmets but full face helmets have to survive a fall onto a steel anvil from a
height of 155 cm
www.helmetharbor.com/pdf_files/ What%20is%20inside%20a%20Shoei%20Brochure.pdf

What is not clear, but implied form BMW literature is that you must wear it closed but can convert it into an open face by fitting the Jet kit - anything in between is not right, therefore suggesting that it meets both full face and open standards.

This site gives abetter description of the system 5
cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/BMW_SystemV_Bluetooth.htm

For a stunning looking helmet look at the ultimate helmet on
http://cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/equipment.htm

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #16 of 22 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
After reading Ron's comment about the strength of Flip front helmets like the System 5 that i have I had a look round the web. The BMW helmet meets ECE R 22/05 standard which applies to both open face and Full face helmets but full face helmets have to survive a fall onto a steel anvil from a
height of 155 cm
www.helmetharbor.com/pdf_files/ What%20is%20inside%20a%20Shoei%20Brochure.pdf

What is not clear, but implied form BMW literature is that you must wear it closed but can convert it into an open face by fitting the Jet kit - anything in between is not right, therefore suggesting that it meets both full face and open standards.

This site gives abetter description of the system 5
cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/BMW_SystemV_Bluetooth.htm

For a stunning looking helmet look at the ultimate helmet on
http://cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/equipment.htm
Oh... My.... God...........!

That's $1600.00 for ONE HELMET! (delivery included in the UK)

Makes those two Schuberth's I've got ordered look inexpensive......

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #17 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 3:51 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Add a built-in sun visor and I'm there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #18 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:00 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
IIRC, Coni has the Carbon Fiber helmet. She says the light weight makes a huge difference, which I assume would also be beneficial in an unplanned get-off.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:29 pm
Bob

I use the HJC CL-Max flip ups.

I install a headset from a number of places in them my self.

Once you flip, you will never go back!

Bob Weir KC6VHS
99 K1200LTC Canyon Red "Thank god I didn't sell her!"
06 K1200lt Magnesium Black Metallic. YEAH! Baby got new legs,
Plastic will be a bit crunchy, but... She will be road worthy soon!
MAXbmwmotorcycles.com Great price on parts and free shipping!
Saved me about $560.00+ on local parts! Thanks Max!

82 Yamaha Seca ZZzzapp (converting to electric)
Where is Bob? click here!

post #20 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 4:37 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Oh... My.... God...........!

That's $1600.00 for ONE HELMET! (delivery included in the UK)

Makes those two Schuberth's I've got ordered look inexpensive......
Yeah, but it's helmet and wireless intercom all wrapped up into one. LOL!!!

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #21 of 22 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz

Here is the link:

http://www.jmcorp.com/Arai-Clampless.htm

You would have to buy the lower cords separately from your BMW dealer.

My 2 cents,

Ron
I second the J&M helmet. Assuming you can find one of thier models that fit your head (and you like it), having everything come ready is nice. The quality of my J&M has been great. A true plug and play.

I would never buy a helmet without first trying it on. J&M (like a few others) offer a full refund within a time period. I sent my first helmet back to J&M after about 2 weeks, and they sent me another one size (cross ship).
post #22 of 22 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Figure I'd chime back in since I started this thread

After trying just about every flip/fullface helmet made (well, nearly), the only helmet that fit my weird shaped head was the Schuberth C2. It was the last helmet I tried on, and as soon as I put it on, I knew it was the helmet for me.

Went to several stores to try on as many helmets as I could, and the Schuberth C2, did it.

I usually like to but things locally, but the shop that had the Schuberth was asking an astronomical price, and they didn't have the color I wanted (white), so I ended up getting it on line.

Thanks to all who contributed to my knowledge of helmets.

Now that I've got the helmet, I'll be popping over to the intercom forum to find out what will work best with the helmet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in