Replacement for Arai GT helmet - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Replacement for Arai GT helmet

I am seeking a suitable replacement for my favorite full face helmet, a Arai Signet GT. It isnt made anymore and has been replaced by the Profile model. The Signet GT is/was made for those of us with a LO head shape, Long Oval. The Profile is said to be also made for the LO head shape.
I am wondering if any of you have found a suitable non Arai helmet that fits like the older Signet GT or Long Oval head shape?
On a related note, the possibility of using a flip style helmet interests me, however I have tried a HJC Symax before and it did not suit me. Its in the garage gathering dust. Anybody need one?
I would also appreciate any comments if you have switched from the Arai Signet GT to a flip style with similar head shape.
And yes, with all due respect, I will try the candidates on for a bit before I buy one. I am trying to narrow the field before I visit the various helmet boutiques in my neighborhood.
Thanks

Mike
IBA #433
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 2:09 pm

If the Signet fits you well (fit is critical), I would seriously consider the Profile. I just replaced my Quantum/f with a Shoei X-11. It's a good/expensive helmet that has excellent ventillation and fits my head. It also has better peripheral vision. Also, the chin guard is further away from your mouth than an Arai. I bought it locally. You can save about $100 on line (helmetharbor.com).

What I did not consider when I bought my Shoei was the installation of my J&M headset. On the Arai, it was very simple to do myself. The Shoei is being done by J&M and getting a boom mic rather than the typical full-faced helmet mic. And because of the way the helmet is designed, it is almost impossible to mount the speakers directly opposite your ears.

Check out the reviews on Webbikeworld http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...s/Products.htm Have you tried the Shoei RF-1000? When I tried one it seemed like it had the long-oval shape. I have not tried Shuberth or Nolan flip styles, but hear good things about them.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 3:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderland
If the Signet fits you well (fit is critical), I would seriously consider the Profile.
I am going to give it a try butt according to this thread;
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...?Number=673905
odds are that it wont do for me, and it is in part the reason for my inquiry.
Thanks

Mike
IBA #433

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:26 pm

The thread you reference is good. I e-mailed Arai asking if the fit would be different between my Quantum/f and a Quantum/II. Their response was simply that you must try it on in order to know. So, I hope you can find a retailer who has a Profile to try on. If not, be sure you can return a helmet purchased via mail order.
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:37 pm

You should read this before considering your next helmet purchase. I've currently got two beautiful silver Signets, but I think I've bought my last Arai.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Yeppers Ron, I did, at least most of it until my eyes glazed over. That report, this little jewel from the FJR forum;
http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index...opic=10792&hl=
and the fact that Arai wont allow dealers ship you a helmet any more, have probally ended my love affair with them. Not to mention their 45-50 dollar replacement shields.
I do like my old Signet GT however, so much I might try calling around here to see if anyone has any GTR's left over. I understand the GT and the GTR are the same fit.

Mike
IBA #433
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:32 pm

HJC Symax

Mike,

What size is your Symax and what color?

Mirage
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:48 pm

I just moved from the Signet GT to a Schuberth J1 that I ordered from Europe. I love this helmet. I have been an Arai person for years, but love the fit and feel of this Schuberth.

You can see some pictures and more of my thoughts at the following web site, if you're interested:

http://web.mac.com/ecirwin/iWeb/Site...6A21D2E68.html

It is not cheap and it is a little hard to come by, but it was worth it for me.

Eric
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 5:50 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage
Mike,

What size is your Symax and what color?

Mirage
It is a large and black.

Mike
IBA #433
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 1:55 pm

Garage
You might want to try the Scorpion helmets. I wear an Arai Signet GT on my Wing. I bought a Scorpion EXO400 so I could send the Arai back to the factory to have the trim replaced. I'm very picky about the fit and am very happy with the Scorpion. Last weekend I rode three 12 hr days in a row. 655, 425 & 660m Fri, Sat & Sun and the Scorpion was comfortable and quieter than my Arai. At about $150 it's a good deal and is DOT and Snell certified.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...e/0#Post717535

Ed Kruse (aka Speed Nut)
Naples FL
GWRRA #124374
AMA Member
'06 R1200RT
'02 GL1800 ABS Silver
"Just Kruse'n"
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 2:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKrusen
You might want to try the Scorpion helmets. I wear an Arai Signet GT on my Wing. I bought a Scorpion EXO400 so I could send the Arai back to the factory to have the trim replaced. I'm very picky about the fit and am very happy with the Scorpion. Last weekend I rode three 12 hr days in a row. 655, 425 & 660m Fri, Sat & Sun and the Scorpion was comfortable and quieter than my Arai. At about $150 it's a good deal and is DOT and Snell certified.

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...e/0#Post717535
I had a EXO700 ($139) on my head yesterday. Fit was ok. Unfortunately I was in the cage and did not have my Arai with me and two things concerned me:
1) It seemed quite heavy. I will admit I had just moments before had a Shoei RF1000 ($280) in my hands and the Shoei was like a feather. It fit too.
2) It did not seem to have the room between my face and the chinbar (for a mic) that my Arai has.
I will be going back with my Arai for a comparision. Perhaps the EXO400 is lighter?
Good link, thanks.

Mike
IBA #433
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Garage
My Scorpion has twice as much space between the chin bar than my Arai.

Arai is lighter. I have neck problems and was worried about the weight of the Scorpion. But after last weekends ride I know the weight is not enough to be of a concern to me.

I was not looking for a replacement for the Arai when I bought the Scorpion. But now I find myself grabbing it whenever I ride alone. I use the Arai when riding 2 up because of the intercom. I have no plans to install one in the Scorpion.

Ed Kruse (aka Speed Nut)
Naples FL
GWRRA #124374
AMA Member
'06 R1200RT
'02 GL1800 ABS Silver
"Just Kruse'n"
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 9:21 am

The EXO400 performed poorly on the Motorcyclist's review at 187 G's, the EXO700 was dead last at 211 g's. The Shoei was not listed. The top finisher came in at 152G's.

Their top finishers tend to have cheap linings, poor visor attachments and fittings, etc.

If the Schuberth S-1 (F) fits me (161G's) I feel pretty confident that will be my next helmet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Buy what fits and feels good.

A $600 helment that fits poorly is junk. LIkewise with a cheeper one.

I happen to have not found another helment that fits like the Signet GTR. I have been to Daytona and Atlanta bike shows and tried everything there on. Likewise at the Helment Shop in Daytona. Sure wish something else fit, but they don't..

So, I'm stuck on Arai. I will try to find the new Profile and try on, but so far, Arai hasn't brought in the XXXL.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderland
So, I hope you can find a retailer who has a Profile to try on.
I found a Profile. It does not fit like the Signet GT.
I also found a new Signet GTR at a reduced, closeout price. It fit, butt I cant live with the color. It was red.

Mike
IBA #433

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in