Scorpion Helmet / J&M headset combination? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:36 am Thread Starter

Scorpion Helmet / J&M headset combination?

My 2001 Arai helmet is about to expire, so I am leaning towards a Scorpion helmet. I tried one on at a dealership and found that it fix nicely and the reviews on the helmet are all very good. Has anyone installed a J&M headset in this helmet and if so how difficult is it to install and does it still provide room for your ears?
Thanks,
Dewman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 1:03 pm

FWIW, I installed a Baehr speaker set in my Scorpion 700. Because of the removeable liner, it was very easy to get at the foam shell. The speakers have to be mounted on the chinbar section, which takes some force to pull from the helmet. I found I had to mill out a good 1/4 inch of material for the speakers to lie flat and have a good surface upon which to glue them. I'd say I get the same amount of room in the Scorpion as I do in my Arai Signet with the same set-up. The Arai just has the fabric of the cheek pads covering the speakers, whereas in the Scorpion they're exposed. One thing is for sure, after tearing into both helmets, I got to see the extra care and detail that goes into the Arai vs. Scorpion. Much closer tolerences in the fit of the components and fewer rough edges.

-----------------------------------------

The word motorcycle is a verb.

2005 K1200LT "Rolf"
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 2:43 pm

I have the Scorpion. I mounted my headset behind the padding so I can remove and clean without affecting the install.

I love the helmet, it's quiet, but HOT! I end up cracking th visor open a bit to get some air to my face.. seems it's meant for folks who have air flowing from shoulders up... not so on the LT.. but I can ride with the tall screen all the way down and am fairly comfy at speed (55+)

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Scorpion Helmet

I decided to go with a Nolan 102. A few years back while I was working on getting a better fit on the headset in my Shoei I cracked the liner which compremised the helmet; what a waste. So I figured let the pros do the install and I ordered the Nolan from J&M.
Thanks for the replys,
Dewman

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in