cold weather jacket suggestions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By SEG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 10:49 am Thread Starter

Garage
cold weather jacket suggestions

Hi

I've been winging it with an old leather jacket I've had for 20 yrs to protect me from cold temps while riding. This will not cut it any longer. I'm interested in a jacket for temps into the mid 30s. I don't mind a shell that will allow me to layer accordingly. Some water proofing would be nice but not absolutely required. What is the jacket that many of you seem to endorse for those chilly morning commutes and cross country jaunts? Thanks in advance for your ideas and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 11:18 am

Re: cold weather jacket suggestions

If you did a search for Jacket and looked in the Riders gear forum, you would have come up with approximately 300 posts. Here is the link:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3685826

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 11:22 am Thread Starter

Garage

very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
If you did a search for Jacket and looked in the Riders gear forum, you would have come up with approximately 300 posts. Here is the link:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/search.php?searchid=3685826

post #4 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 12:47 pm

I don't have a specific recommendation since my FirstGear Speed coat is old, out of production but still very functional..but here are some general things to consider.

Ditch the leather and go with textile. Textile is more windproof and waterproof than leather. Most any coat with a full-sleeve liner will be the way to go. Some riders like the 3/4 length coats that resist riding up in the back better than 1/2 length jackets. A tall collar helps keep your neck warm without adding another piece of gear.

You will probably find most riders here will recommend the BMW coats. They are nice for sure, but pricey.
You can find the same performance from outside brands for about half the cost. Olympia, Tourmaster, and many others provide quality gear with CE armor.

If you are of the school that you must spend big money and get the best, then by all means... get the Bring More Wallet branded gear.

Dave
-2000 K1200LT
-------------------------------
Life's too short to ride ugly motorcycles
post #5 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:11 pm

I bought one of these!

REV'IT! Voltiac HV Jacket - RevZilla

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #6 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:23 pm

I think my last leather coat was retired in the late '90s and agree that fabric coats are better for both wind protection and general comfort. GoreTex is really worth the extra money it costs. I bought a heated vest last year and it really improves your comfort time and and how low a temperature you are willing to brave.

Gerhard
post #7 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

great suggestions fellas. I kinda like this First Gear Kenya jacket. Seems to have some features/style I like and its closeout price is hard to beat.
FirstGear Kenya Jacket - 2013 :: MotorcycleGear.com
post #8 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharpphoto View Post
great suggestions fellas. I kinda like this First Gear Kenya jacket. Seems to have some features/style I like and its closeout price is hard to beat.
FirstGear Kenya Jacket - 2013 :: MotorcycleGear.com
I have 2 or maybe 3 other short jackets. Think about something a bit longer for cold weather!

I am also a big fan of Hi-Viz!

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #9 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 1:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

good ideas indeed.
post #10 of 20 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 5:25 pm

I use a Tourmaster Transition 3 ( Around $210 - Revzilla). It's a very good 3/4 length jacket and very warm with the liner in and a fleece vest when it gets really cold.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #11 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 12:19 am

Thumbs up Re: cold weather jacket suggestions

+1! I have the Transition 3 Hi Viz & it was great on our Alaska trip! Heated liner for the real chilly days.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
I use a Tourmaster Transition 3 ( Around $210 - Revzilla). It's a very good 3/4 length jacket and very warm with the liner in and a fleece vest when it gets really cold.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #12 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 5:28 am

I bought a used Klim Badlands last year and found out I wasted a lot of money on other jackets. Fits like like it was tailor made, goretex, vents give you the option to channel air in the warmer months and has ton of pockets too. BMW gear seemed inferior IMO.
post #13 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:06 am

I recently purchased the First Gear Kilimanjaro jacket
Viewing Images For FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket - 2012 :: MotorcycleGear.com
I purchased the day/glo jacket. The only thing I do not like about it is that the sleeves get dirty where my gloves rub against them. I first purchased a Bilt Jacket but it was too rough on my neck.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #14 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:15 am

I purchased a Klim Latitude at a dealer's demo recently. Cheaper than the Badlands but I live in southern Maryland, where the daytime temp in Jan varies between 28 & 42. I wear a base layer, a heated powerlet jacket, a Klim pullover and then the Klim jacket. I've never been in the least bit cold, and this combination provides excellent wind protection. Of course that is helped by the fairing and windscreen of three 2014 R1200Rt.
post #15 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:07 am

Tourmaster Transitions 3 jacket, their Venture pants, a heated vest to go underneath...no complaints down to about 35 degrees. Liners go in and out easily and don't take up much storage space when not in use...even less if you store them in a Space Bag.

Good venting for warmer weather, decent armor and enough pockets that you'll continually be 'hiding things from yourself'.

Some of the Transitions/Venture stuff can be found (new) on eBay at a bit of savings, but it's priced very competitively to start with...the only caution might be to know your size before ordering from an eBay dealer.

I've used this combo for the last 6 years and it is sturdy, comfy and looks good.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #16 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 4:57 pm
SEG

You'll get as many different recommendations as there are riders. As suggested earlier, Klim makes great gear if you're willing to pony up the bucks. For my money, I'll take a one piece Aerostich Roadcrafter suit; layer or add a heated vest or jacket. I've bought plenty of other riding gear but I've always used the "stich" more than anything--it's my go to gear for commuting or cross country travel. I've got about 150K plus miles on the stich and it still works great. It's not for everyone and it has its faults but overall it has been the best gear for me, summer or winter. It would probably help the readers if you listed where you are located.
Scott
JNW003 likes this.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #17 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:59 pm
Jim
Slow Old Guy

+1 on the 'stich. I have a lot of other gear but it has all stayed in the closet since I bought the Roadcrafter. Layer under it for the conditions and go.

Jim Anderson
Idyllwild, CA
'04 Ural Tourist
'08 Tiger
post #18 of 20 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
+1 on the 'stich. I have a lot of other gear but it has all stayed in the closet since I bought the Roadcrafter. Layer under it for the conditions and go.
Ditto. I also have a Tourmaster Air jacket and pants, but haven't taken them out of the closet since I got my Hi-Viz 'stich.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #19 of 20 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:27 am Thread Starter

Garage

thanks to all of you for opening my eyes to some great products out there. My wallet hates you all
post #20 of 20 Old Feb 24th, 2015, 8:47 am

Garage

IMHO, If you want to be warm, nothing beats heated clothing.
I have the Tourmaster Flex Jacket & Pants than can be worn in almost every condition.(Waterproof to only a certain extent.)
It can be configured from Mesh armored Jacket to insulated.
When it gets really cold (Freezing point or below) I remove the quilted liner and use the Tourmaster Synergy heated gear.

ymmv

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in