Touring jacket recommendations - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 6:03 pm Thread Starter

Touring jacket recommendations

I was looking at a Fieldsheer Auto Tech Jacket for the fall riding season. My basic requirements are a 3/4 jacket (shorter ones let the wind up your back) that is water resistant and doesn't billow or balloon up behind a fairing at 80. No funky colors or silly sayings on it, please. Nothing over the mid $200 range.
Thanks for any recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 6:17 pm

These folks seem to have some good prices...

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/

Good Luck

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Ed,

I bought this jacket http://www.compacc.com/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=3714 a couple years ago, and love it. I look forward to fall riding each year just so I can wear it. It does not breath at all, too hot in 75 deg + weather. Liner works well, tons of pockets and storage, very water proof. Gets a little stiff in freezing temps. I liked it, and the price so well I bought the matching pants this year. Also has lots of armor, but I remove that stuff. For $150 can't beat it.

Hope this helps.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:37 pm
Old Dawg

I am really a big fan of the Firstgear Kilimanjaro Jacket. It is a four season jacket that does it all and performs very well.
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/prod_htj_kilimanjaro.htm

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
We used the Kilimanjaro jackets for many years. They were comfortable and did exactly what they were designed to do. They were waterproof at first, but after several years and a lot of miles, that diminished somewhat. The fleece liner is good to the 40's behind a large fairing, and the vents help into the low 90's. You can add a heated liner for the cold, but there's nothing you can easily do for the heat. There are tons of pockets, flaps, and plastic hooks in the chest area that may be useful to some but for me they just seemed to get in the way of the vents. Plus the arm vents were pretty small and hidden behind storm flaps, so they were of limited use.

We now use the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jackets. They are waterproof due to an inner liner, and have an outer cordura section that can zip out to make it into a 3/4 mesh jacket. This really extends the upper temp range. I've ridden for hours at up to 110 degrees (with a CamelBak), but my wife is too hot at anything near 100. They are good down to the low 50's or high 40's, but you can also add a fleece liner or heated vest. Note that they also come with good armor, plus a back protector, and the impact points (elbows, upper arms, shoulders) have an extra layer of heavy cordura that stays in place even when converted to mesh. The quality is much better than their Phoenix jackets, though I have had a few zipper pulls break off (same issue with the Kilimanjaro).

I know that First Gear now makes a Kilimanjaro Air jacket that many people love, though I haven't ridden with one. I think they're a bit pricey, but should meet the rest of your criteria.

I'm still in search of the perfect 4-season jacket. It would be comfortable, with excellent armor, fully waterproof from the outside shell, and with large, excellent vents that can be opened easily and quickly for higher temps. I'd probably go with an electric liner for lower temps, but I'd like to not have to carry anything other than jacket shell and liner. I can sometimes see from the 30's to the 100's in the same long riding day, and I hate stopping just to change riding clothes. The search continues . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by meese; Oct 16th, 2005 at 11:03 pm.
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:59 pm

Auto Tech

Hi I have the FieldSheer Glenn Scott Jacket and feel that the value in the Jacket is great. The only problem I have with the Jacket is the inside Zipper. It has a smaller inside Zipper and then a larger outside Zipper and I had to have the inside zipper replaced this year at a local seemstress which ran $25.00. I have ridden in downpours and the jacket has really proved to be an excellent value for everything outside of the zipper. I paid $130.00 for it and Got one for my wife as well. We have had them since spring of '04 and they are holding up well.

Here are some links:
http://www.motorcyclegearreview.com/...atname=Textile

These people are liquidating their Fieldsheer line.
http://www.brocktoncycle.com/catalog...ord=Fieldsheer

Good Luck
-Bob

-Bob

'05 Ocean Blue LT
04 Victory (Traded)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in