Best Rider jacket/coat - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Best Rider jacket/coat

I know there a alot out there. what's the favorite all around..can only take one..which one are you taking..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:13 pm

I really like my Tour Master Cortech GX Air . It is comfortable for those really hot days and with the wind/waterproof liner along with it's insulating liner installed, I found it to be comfortable down to around 35-40 degrees (30+ mile commute to work). For longer cold weather riding it gets a little cold, but just add a heated vest and your good to go. Just my 2 cents!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 12:43 pm

I've got a Heine Gericke cordura jacket with shoulder/elbow armour - its a heluva good jacket, but, when I came back from northern Europe/Scandinavia, I was just tooooo hot - hotter than when I went to the Sahara. Just after I got off the ferry in Newcastle, I called into the local BM dealer to buy a BM Airflow 3 jacket - mesh, with full armour (including back). The jacket is actually 'chilly' in the middle of an English summer (37 degrees at the moment) - It's a bit too short for my liking, but it stops the heat - chilly & comfy in summer, but with full protection. I luv it.

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 1:35 pm

I have a BMW Savanna 2 jacket with GoreTex liner - lots of vents for hot days but liner makes it nice and warm when it gets close to zero. Still not sure what to do when it is hot and raining though. Friend has an old Kalahari jacket that he loves especially that he has now got a new liner.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 1:49 pm

Marsee for me, relatively inexpensive (250) system that includes armoured vented jacket/waterproof shell/liner. Used it on a 90' day and it was livable.

F
post #6 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar
I know there a alot out there. what's the favorite all around..can only take one..which one are you taking..
Aerostich Roadcrafter (Hi-Viz screaming yelow)
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Aerostich Darien. Waterproof, plenty of pockets, warm with the liner, cool (enough) with the vents open. I've had mine for 85K and am real happy with it. I occasionally wear a leather or a mesh jacket, but always feel better protected from a get-off or weather with the 'stich. Downside: Slightly too bulky for running errands.

Motor On ,/'

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:11 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Firstgear Mesh-TexII full armour with liner great in this 100+ Texas summer Also Firstgear mesh pants the jacket zips to pants in the back so your jacket wont creap up your back on long rides

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:35 pm

BMW Commuter II, (but now it's called the Commuter III). With the liner, it's warm and waterproof. Take the liner out, open the vents, and you're good past the 90s and into the 100s.
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Best bang for the Buck?

Had to wait 6 weeks, but just received a great 4 season jacket from DerbyCycle.

Another vendor (Moto Liberty) has this review as well as inventory.

Note: Although Moto Liberty suggests buying a size up is no longer needed with the new Fieldsheer models, I firmly disagree. Buy one size larger.
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 7:48 pm

Thumbs up Coat's for me

Aerostich Darien for me with the pants.
190,000 mi 3 HD's and an LT

shoulder and elbow armor,pockets,pockets, pockets,about 300 pockets all different sizes,a great liner coat that can be used by itself, cool with the vents open, washable, waterproof lined with gortex.... no rain suit needed.

Ridesalot
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 10:10 pm

Talking Oop's one more thing

3M Scotchlite® reflective areas on the front, side and back of the jacket...

Ridesalot
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 20th, 2006, 11:38 pm
Old Dawg

I really like my FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket for three season riding... I'm suprised no one else has mentioned it actually.
http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb.n...2?opendocument
The Air version is great too.

Scott
Sacramento CA
HDDC Posse

''03 Ducati ST4S with ABS - '12 KTM 500EXC - '19 BMW GS/A
(Jessica Focker's) '15 BMW S1000RR - '17 KTM 350EXC-F - '09 Yamaha XT250

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this."
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:06 am

I really like my Firstgear Kilimanjaro Air. Its has been great for me from 35 to 100 degree temps but I did switch the armor to CE.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #15 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:17 am

I dunno, man...

I harbor residual delusions of coolness and prefer the Fonzie look over the star trek costumes. These cheepos are actually quite nice. I'm sure they're insufficient for most folks here, but taste is largely a derivative of crowd identity.
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 2:49 am

One is never enough

Unless it's a local ride. Luckily, i've invested in a fairly wide selection to choose from depending on what sort of ride it might be here in the Republic of Santa Cruz.
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 9:56 am

My absolute favorite was the BMW Phase 3 jacket & pants. Unfortunately, they're no longer available; so, I'm using the Commuter 3 system.

The jacket is fantastic, but the pants do not have a removable liner. Consequently, the pants can not be worn in hot weather.

Ride with Pride,

Capt John
Tracy, CA

post #18 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 11:19 am

Smile

My 3/4 length, waterproof MotoPort Challenger Jacket with armor and liner insert takes care of all but the hottest conditions.

Perfect for Fall,Winter,Spring, and early Summer.

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 12:16 pm

I've got the Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar. Looks a little bit like Michelin man, but works great for all seasons in So. Calif. The liners take care of rain and cooler temps, and the armor and skid resistance of the Kevlar make it the best protection choice it my book. I hope I don't ever have to verify that last attribute. Long lead time on this stuff, though. That BMW gear had a much better cut, but I just put on my old Vanson perf. suit if I want to look sexy.

My wife likes her Cortec Air Mesh pants and Joe Rocket mesh in the summer and her Kilamanjaro jacket keeps her toasty in the other 3 seasons.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Living in Canada I tend to stretch the season, we run freezing to 105F. Cooler riding I love my BMW Tourguard, hot weather Joe Rocket mesh, mid summer and rain, my Honda Goldwing jacket.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in