Small Tank Bag Recommendation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 10:53 pm Thread Starter

Small Tank Bag Recommendation

I am looking for a small tank bag for my 06 LT. I do not need to carry a lot of stuff in the bag. Only a few items and a place for my map.

I tried a normal (if there is such a thing) and could not see most of my GPS and the buttons were very hard to get too.

Thanks
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:14 pm

Tank Bag

I've got a very small Marisee tank bag and I doubt if you could see your GPS, if your GPS is mounted on the stingray section, I've got mine mounted on a BMR shelf so I can have a tank bag and see the GPS. Look at the Marasee web site.

Bill

05 Ocean Blue
KLT1200 LT
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 11:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEngland
I am looking for a small tank bag for my 06 LT. I do not need to carry a lot of stuff in the bag. Only a few items and a place for my map.

I tried a normal (if there is such a thing) and could not see most of my GPS and the buttons were very hard to get too.

Thanks
Mark
Hi, Mark. Don't guess I know where the GPS is mounted on an '06 LT, so this may not work for you, butt you're welcome to it.

You looked at the BMW small tank bag? Wanna try one for a while to see if you like it. I've got an extry one; be glad to send it to ya and see what you think. Don't like it, send it back. Like it, we'll see about a Starbucks or sumpthin'!!

I've used one since '99. Carries my tire tread depth tool; sunglasses; rain cover; spare ear plugs; loose change; sidestand plate on a string; extra camera batteries; cell phone; garage door opener; tire pressure gauge; brake disk lock; pen; and some other junk. Map cut to size, goes under the clear window in the top. Doesn't block anythang on Toad since it fits right on the oddments box lid and is thinner in depth at the lid hinge and fatter at the latch.

Lemme know.

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:10 am

Okay Dick already offered you one, or I was going to.
BMW tank bag holds one glove and 1/2 a chapstick.
Pretty smal
Rock
post #5 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:31 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
I am looking for a small tank bag for my 06 LT. I do not need to carry a lot of stuff in the bag. Only a few items and a place for my map....
Howdy Mark,

I use the BMW LT tank bag and it hold all the essentials. Easy to put on and take off. The rain cover the comes with it work well and it has a see through portion that allows for map reading.

Another plus for the the BMW bag is that it fits inside most other tank bags. So, when I move from the LT to the K-R I just slip the LT tank bag into the K-R tank bag and have all the essentials with me (set up seen in signature images).

You should be able to get a good quality used one for about half the price of new.

The only downside on the bag is that the velcro that attaches under the oddments lid will eventually come loose and have to be re-attached.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Pretty smal
Rock
Oh yeah, forgot 'bout the Chapstick!!

Hey, Rock - don'tcha know you can unzip the zipper thang, raise the lid and cram all that stuff in there, then .......... duct tape the sucker shut!! Only thang that won't fit is the kitchen porcelain thangie.
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:35 am

I use the RKA small tank bag for the LT. It hooks up securly and doesn't get in the way of anything. It easily holds my wallets, cell phone, glasses, and other small items, including my chapstick! It's not the slickest bag on earth, but it does the job.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 9:46 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
snip ....
The only downside on the bag is that the velcro that attaches under the oddments lid will eventually come loose and have to be re-attached.
Hi, Billy. I've heard that before too, and I've seen a couple of the local guyz with a dis-adhesive corner at the oddments lid, butt ole Toad's sticky stuff has been there since day one (July 2, '99) and nary a problem (YET! ). Might be that not all the velcro locations get a good cleanin' after the trip across the pond? Dunno - butt the upside is, it's an eazy fix 'er upper!!
post #9 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:44 am

Smile

I bought Dick's extra Chicane bag and could not be happier with it... It works great for me and I would not want anything smaller. I carry my water bottle, sunglasses, calculator, pad & pen, hanky, etc....

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

post #10 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Chicane

I'm surprised no one (yet) has mentioned the Chicane tank bag, made just for the LT. Same footprint as the BMW I think, but holds lots more. Buttons for radio, etc., are still reachable, but blocked visually unless you learn forward.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Hi, Mark. Don't guess I know where the GPS is mounted on an '06 LT, so this may not work for you, butt you're welcome to it.

You looked at the BMW small tank bag? Wanna try one for a while to see if you like it. I've got an extry one; be glad to send it to ya and see what you think. Don't like it, send it back. Like it, we'll see about a Starbucks or sumpthin'!!

I've used one since '99. Carries my tire tread depth tool; sunglasses; rain cover; spare ear plugs; loose change; sidestand plate on a string; extra camera batteries; cell phone; garage door opener; tire pressure gauge; brake disk lock; pen; and some other junk. Map cut to size, goes under the clear window in the top. Doesn't block anythang on Toad since it fits right on the oddments box lid and is thinner in depth at the lid hinge and fatter at the latch.

Lemme know.
Dick, The offer is very nice and PM sent.

Yes, my GPS sits on the Stingray (factory installed).
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 4:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Pretty smal
Rock
Thanks Rock.
I checked with my local dealer and all they have are the large tank bags. I PMed Dick about his offer.

Thanks again
Mark
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Thanks Rock.
I checked with my local dealer and all they have are the large tank bags. I PMed Dick about his offer.

Thanks again
Mark
You did??? Somebody sniped it, Mark, cuz it hasn't hit yet!
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 11th, 2006, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
You did??? Somebody sniped it, Mark, cuz it hasn't hit yet!
I emailed you instead of PMing. Once I clicked on your name, and seen that I could email, I did that instead (I prefer email). Did not mean to confuse anyone.
post #15 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 1:10 am

I also use the RKA small tank bag, and like it. Doesn't block anything ,and holds all the things I may need quickly, and repeatedly. You can even still get to the radio/CD buttons.
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 7:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'm surprised no one (yet) has mentioned the Chicane tank bag, made just for the LT. Same footprint as the BMW I think, but holds lots more. Buttons for radio, etc., are still reachable, but blocked visually unless you learn forward.
Hey Howard

Does that come with an install manual??
Rock
post #17 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:10 am

Three Questions

1. How do you secure your tank bag from theft?

2. Do you know of a frame-mount tank bag for the LT like that which comes on the new R1200RT?

3. Do you know of any smaller pockets being used on the LT like the windshield triple pocket system for Harleys? Maybe on the winglets?

Thanks!
post #18 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
1. How do you secure your tank bag from theft?

3. Do you know of any smaller pockets being used on the LT like the windshield triple pocket system for Harleys? Maybe on the winglets?

Thanks!
#1.Mine is to ugly to steal, people don't even like to touch it!
#3 You gonna put that purse on your bike? I think the weight has something to do with windsheild motor working.
Guess it all depends on what you put in the purse.
Rock
post #19 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 7:48 pm

What I put in my purse is none of your business, Rock

And I said, "winglets!"
post #20 of 22 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 9:50 pm

Duct tape..one gallon zip-lock bag and your good to go....$1.95 plus tax.
Plus with the roll of tape and box-o-bags just think of the possibilities...high speed wind durability..vision to find what you need...good ole' redneck enginuity !!!!
post #21 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I have the RMH side fairing pockets. They work well, but they can touch your knees if you have longer legs.

There's also the Stingray bag made by one of our members.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 22 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
And I said, "winglets!"
Oh Purse for the winglets.
Just Kidding, when I asked Spike what He kept in his, he pulled out his 9MM . So I asked if he kept his lipstick in the other two.
He just grinned and said "some guys not that far from their gorilla ancestors require alot more than one shot" He pulled out 2 more clips . I decided to not ask what was in the third pocket
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in