Helmet dilema - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Dick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 8:59 am Thread Starter

Helmet dilema

Alright, this is my first post and I know that there are a lot of threads around helmets and everyone has their own head, so they have differing opinions.

Here is a little history-

I have a HJC CL-11 from about 18 years ago. At the time I got it, it was all I could afford and it was replacing the same model that bounced off the road and saved my noggin. Recently, I started riding again and it is creating a wonderful hot spot on my forehead. Deciding that it is time to replace the ancient model with a new one- I went to the local shop to try on a few.

This is where it got frustrating for me. I tried on a Sy-Max III, a Scorpion Exo 900, a Shoei Neotec and a Schuberth C3 Pro. As you can see from my selection, I am leaning towards a modular, but have no issues with the full face I have as it has served me well. After trying them all on, I couldn't tell a difference in fit on my oval head as they all felt like pillows compared to the one I currently have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. While price is not a big deal when it comes to head protection, I hate to spend the Schuberth $$ if a Sy-Max or Shoei are just as good.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 9:10 am
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

Re: Helmet dilema

I went from the Symax, to a Caberg Justissimo to the Shuberth C3 Pro.

I had a lot of forehead pressure on the Symax and the Caberg, so much so, that I carved out (relieved) some of the hard foam inner shell to reduce the pressure on the forehead.

The C3 Pro fits with no uncomfortable pressure points; though it costs a lot more than the Symax or Caberg.
post #3 of 15 Old Sep 23rd, 2014, 9:03 pm
cws

Garage

If you get a chance also try a Shark Evoline modular.
Fits a slightly rounded head, although the sizing is slightly larger than other brands, so an X in Shark is closer to an XL in the others and is a nice (very) snug fit. After 12 months have been really happy with the size and fit compared to BMW (Schuberth) and others.
Key thing is to make sure its tight all round when new, but not uncomfortably so...as it will loosen with wear. But.. you don't want it to start flopping around on your head.
A new helmet can take several weeks/months even with daily use to get to a final comfortable fit.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Last edited by cws; Sep 23rd, 2014 at 9:12 pm.

post #4 of 15 Old Sep 24th, 2014, 6:00 am

The Arai Signet Q - is a full face, but it's designed for Oval shaped heads.

You might want to take a look at one, it's very well made, quiet and super comfortable.

If you decide to go with one check The Helmet Shop down in Daytona for pricing, I picked up my last 2 through them. Great service and prices.

(Also - while some will say it doesn't matter, tests show that you should change helmets every 5 or 6 years. I might push that to 7, but 18 is way too long)

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #5 of 15 Old Sep 24th, 2014, 10:32 am

I have a medium oval head and love my Shoei RF-1100. When I bought mine the multitech was Shoei's offering in modular and it wasn't quite there, but the Neotech I would buy as it seems they have sorted some of the issues.

However after some test fitting and soul searching I think when I replace the RF-1100 I will probably be going with a Schuberth. They are expensive but they seem to have the best neck roll on the market and that is where most of my noise comes from on the current brain bucket. Also, Schuberth has a pretty nice deal where they will sell you a new bucket at cost should your helmet be forced to do it's job. All that aside they are lighter than the other modulars, they claim the lightest and quietest on the market and those two things make a difference in a long ride.

Take my advice for what it's worth, I have no experience with the Schuberth so I am just going on what I have read, and 1/2 hour or so of testing, on the other hand I can tell you that after 3 years in the RF-1100 I have no regrets.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #6 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2014, 6:24 am

I have the perfect Shoei head shape and started with a RF900 then purchased a RF1100 that I currently use. They all have their pros and cons but fit is #1 for me.

'02 1150 RT
post #7 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2014, 9:52 am Thread Starter

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the input. I'm going to try to make it to the local shop to try some of these on this week.

Bob- I would agree that 18 years might be a little long to push it on a new helmet. I retired a R1200CA about 13 years ago with the addition of our second son. So the helmet went on the shelf. After two more children and the 13 years, I was able to talk my wife into letting me pickup a 2006 K1200LT, so after bringing the helmet out of retirement- I figured it might be time to get a new lid as well! Right now, I am a firm believer (after bouncing off the pavement twice in my life) that an old helmet is better than no helmet, but agree that it is time for a new one.
post #8 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2014, 2:15 pm

I'm not sure where you're located, but Another thought is that the bike shows will be coming around soon and they're a great place to look at and try on different helmets to see what might fit you the best. Probably best to bring a do-rag as a lot of guys have the same idea and those helmets see a lot of heads!

The reps are usually pretty good at fitting you properly for a helmet.

Here in NY I think it's in December this year at Javitts Center.

Ride Safe,

Bob

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #9 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2014, 5:31 pm

I use a Shoei Qwest. It is fairly quiet with all the vents closed (which almost never happens) and I always use earplugs and a headsock. With the vents open, you do get some wind noise and decent air even with the RT windscreen.

With that being said, I want my next helmet to have the flip down shade and removable liner... The Shoei GT has that and my friend says the best helmet he has purchased.

I use Cycle Gear because my local shop has very helpful employees and I can try on many, many different helmets in one stop... and they don't even harass you for walking around the store for 15 minutes, etc. to try it out. If you still get the "wrong" one, they have a 7 day helmet exchange policy.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.
post #10 of 15 Old Sep 25th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanr1369 View Post
Alright, this is my first post and I know that there are a lot of threads around helmets and everyone has their own head, so they have differing opinions.

Here is a little history-

I have a HJC CL-11 from about 18 years ago. At the time I got it, it was all I could afford and it was replacing the same model that bounced off the road and saved my noggin. Recently, I started riding again and it is creating a wonderful hot spot on my forehead. Deciding that it is time to replace the ancient model with a new one- I went to the local shop to try on a few.

This is where it got frustrating for me. I tried on a Sy-Max III, a Scorpion Exo 900, a Shoei Neotec and a Schuberth C3 Pro. As you can see from my selection, I am leaning towards a modular, but have no issues with the full face I have as it has served me well. After trying them all on, I couldn't tell a difference in fit on my oval head as they all felt like pillows compared to the one I currently have.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. While price is not a big deal when it comes to head protection, I hate to spend the Schuberth $$ if a Sy-Max or Shoei are just as good.

Thanks.
Some may disagree but INHO don't think a $500+ Shoei offers better safety than a $300 competitors helmet. I happen to own 2 shoei helmets and find them perfect for me. The materials used, fit and finish and features drive the prices up on the higher end helmets. If it's been 18 years since your last purchase the options available will make your head spin. For me one of the best resources is Revzilla. Their prices are good and their video reviews are excellent. Also look at webbikeworld.com for reviews.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #11 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 11:59 am Thread Starter

Lark,

That's the biggest reason I am having such a dilemma! The old one is about as basic of a helmet as I could have got at the time. Just enough padding to cover a small portion of the hard foam and definitely not enough to keep the front from pushing on the forehead. When I did try on the Schuberth, Shoei and a few others- it was like putting my head in a down pillow with all of them compared to the box spring I'm used to!

I am looking hard at the RPHA max, but can't find a local dealer that carries it to try on. I'm in Colorado and there don't seem to be any helmet specific shops here and the few I have went to, the reps don't seem to be too knowledgeable on them, so I have reverted to Revzilla and Compacc for information- as well as all of your comments here.

Thanks again for the help!
post #12 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Hi,Daniel - I'll second Doug's (TwoWheels) suggestion about shopping at Cycle Gear if you have one nearby. The shop local to me has a great selection of helmets, various brands and sizes and models. I've always worn a modular style of every brand I've had (Shoei, Caberg, HJC, Nolan) - some less comfortable/desirable at various features such as forehead compression, or face shield leakage, or chin strap operation. My latest, with 6K mileage, has turned out to be my best for fit/feature/function/comfort - bought at Cycle Gear at walk-in announced $200 discount. It is the Bilt brand Hi-vis yellow modular with internal drop down sun shield. Extremely easy to install my Sena helmet unit and speakers (needed no helmet modification); glove easy to operate the slide controlled sun shield and to raise/lower the clear shield; easy to open/close the chin bar with the secure metal closure connection; and provides me with sufficient side vision when closed. JMO of what works for me now with 145k miles of history wearing headgear. Good luck in your 'project'!!
rangerb3 likes this.
post #13 of 15 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 1:41 pm
Ego equitare, timo ego sum

You may want to call around to BMW dealers, as I got my Shuberth C3 Pro for half price from EuroCycles of Tampa Bay.

They had it on the shelf for a long time, and I made an offer, which they accepted.
post #14 of 15 Old Sep 28th, 2014, 9:31 pm
cwo

The helmet that fits the best is the one to get. My problem is I don't know which one fits best until I take a long ride. Too bad demo helmets are not available, as I don't know until a long ride like 500 miles if I found the right fit.

I have a Shuberth, but not because I think it is a better than other quality brands. It just fits my head.

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #15 of 15 Old Oct 10th, 2014, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Figured I'd give an update on the direction I ended up going.

I liked the look of the HJC RPHA- Max seeing as very few of the modular helmets have graphics (at least under 500). No one had it at a local dealer and after trying on the Shoei, I figured that if it didn't fit- I'd return it and get the Shoei. Took about a week for it to be shipped, but so far I am happy with it. Now bear in mind that my comparison was an 18 year old helmet, but it is much better, lighter and the pinlock is amazing. Not sure how I rode without it for so many years flipping up the visor! The helmet does have some wind noise with the windshield down on the K1200LT and both vents open but it is not intolerable. Definitely more of the intermediate oval than my last one.

Tags
helmet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in