TourMaster Riding Jeans (review) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 2:52 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up TourMaster Riding Jeans (review)

I had been looking for some pants with protection for riding. After checking into Draggin Jeans and various brands of overpants, I opted for a pair of TourMaster Jean Pants.
TourMaster describes them as:

Jean Pant
• 600 Denier Carbolex® shell with 1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester knee panels for comfort, durability and abrasion resistance.
• Durable, 1680 Denier Ballistic Polyester seat panel helps to minimize slipping.
• Rainguard® waterproof/breathable barrier.
• Double-stitched construction throughout.
• Dual clasp waist closure with button anchor and gusseted zipper.
• Rubberized inner waistband helps undergarments stay tucked in.
• Dual-stretch panel waistband includes belt loops.
• Two hand pockets with right hand change pocket and two rear zippered pockets.
• Removable, CE-approved knee armor with Tour Master´s exclusive Three Position Knee Armor Alignment System.
• Soft hip armor is removable and comfortable.
• Fully lined with a soft and comfortable Taffeta material
• Available colors: Black

According to TourMaster, they are best used in mild temps (50-80 F) and/or wet conditions. They arrived last night, so I put them on quickly and went for a short ride. First thing I noticed was that the Taffeta material lining was chafing my inner thighs. A quick ride to the sporting goods store for some long running shorts (the type that wick moisture away from your body, and come down to just above the knee) solved that problem, and increased my overall comfort as well.

Today, it was 88 degrees, and I went out for a 300 mile ride. To my surprise, the black material wasn't hot at all. In fact, I think my legs felt cooler than they would have in jeans. The fit was good, but I'm still playing around with the positioning of the knee armor. It's three position, supposedly, but instructions as to how to move it would be nice! It's also replaceable, but I haven't figured out how that is accomplished just as yet, either. With all the tags attached, you would think one of them would have some simple instructions. I found the armor on my left leg would keep creeping up above my kneecap every time I put my left leg down at stops. I'm sure that once I get it positioned properly, this will be alleviated.

The zippered rear pockets are nice. Deep enough to easily accomodate my wallet without worrying about it falling out. The front has two snaps (extra snaps were found in the pocket, in case you break one and need to replace it), a button, and a zippered fly. The fly is only to help get the jeans on, though, as there is a rain flap behind the zipper, making it pretty much useless for, uh, that *other* thing.

Can't offer any opinion on the rain worthiness of the gear - yet. But, I have the TourMaster Cortech jacket, and it does a pretty good job by itself.

For the price ($60) they are well worth it. Cheaper than the Draggin Jeans, and even with the knee armor in place, I got a "thumbs up" from the fashion critic (my wife).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in