Best Undergarments - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Best Undergarments

Am looking to purchase some good shorts, as I am enjoyng my "new to Me" 08LT.

That bike can go all day, but my Rear End cant, without some discomfort.
Have checked out the LD Comfort Website, and they look like just the ticket.
Any Thoughts?

Thanks, Donn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:20 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Best Undergarments

I have several hundred thousand miles wearing LDComfort gear, including many 1,000-1,500 mile days. This stuff just works.

Quite simply, the material LDComfort uses is superior to anything else out there. I stay dry and comfortable from freezing temps to well over 100 degrees.

I have a couple pairs of Under Armor gear, as well as some off-brand stuff. They sit at home on the shelf, mostly due to the fact that they're always slipping down and the fact that they don't work well over a very wide temperature range. They're just not comfortable for the long haul, so they stay home. Cheaper doesn't matter if the product doesn't work.

My LDComfort stuff goes everywhere on the bike with me. Even for local trips as short as 2 hours or 100 miles, that's all I'll wear under my riding pants. And I have lived in them for weeks at a time while on the road, including a little ride that covered 22,000 miles in 30 days through 40 states.

For more "normal" touring rides, I carry two sets of LDComfort gear, and one pair of jeans and a nice shirt in case I feel like going out to dinner one night. Simply put, this stuff works.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Hey, Thanks Meese,
Just what I needed to hear.
Its obvious that u have some miles under your belt to prove it.
I think ill put in an order, and get some for my passenger as well!
Thanks Again, Donn

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 10th, 2014, 10:56 am
IBR# 366

Garage

Yeah, I have some experience in this area . . .

Saddle comfort can be subjective, but there are several constants to look at here.

The first thing is to examine everything that sits between you and the seat itself. No jeans with seams, no bulky underwear, no cotton, no padded bike shorts, etc. Any of those things will increase sweating and rubbing and thus add to your overall discomfort.

Personally, I find Aerostitch Darien Light Pants to be waterproof, comfortable, and have no seams to sit on. Combined with the breathable, wicking LDComfort Undergarments I remain extremely comfortable over a very wide temperature range.

Another thing to look at is the seat itself. Factory seats tend to be soft, and poorly shaped with no real support. A well-shaped seat built for you by a talented saddle maker will support you properly such that you won't need to squirm around.

There are several good choices for quality custom-built aftermarket seats, but that's a whole different discussion altogether . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 7:28 pm

As an alternative to LD Comfort, check out MotoSkiveez. I own both and their are pluses and minuses to both. Fairly active discussion about these in the gear section on ADVrider.

http://motoskiveez.com/

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 9:24 pm

A well applied daily dose of soap an wash cloth works better than magic under shorts. Back to back 1000 days with cotton shorts an OEM RT seat no problem.
Back to basics.

Bob G
2011 RT
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 9:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I bought a can of Monkey Butt before receiving my 2 pairs of LDC shorts. Haven't used the MB yet, as the LDC recommends against using the powder. Got the LDCs after my trip to Yellowstone, so haven't yet tried them on a longer trip, so I will defer to Meese on this, but plan on using them much this summer!
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 11:15 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I got a can of Monkey Butt powder as a door prize at a motorcycle event. It was funny, but it now sits ignored on a shelf. I won't ever use it, and I can't see forcing it on some other poor unsuspecting rider . . .

The problem with powders, creams, or anything like that is that you still sweat, but all that happens is that it gets absorbed by this stuff, then you end up sitting in a slimy paste of their chemicals and your own sweat. That's not what you need to stay dry and comfortable for days on end.

You need proper, breathable undergarments that wick moisture away from your skin, and that have no seams or wrinkles to add discomfort.

I hadn't heard of the Moto-Skiveez, but it seems like they're basically bike shorts with sewn-in padding in certain areas. Interesting, but I remain skeptical as to how well that might work. I'd be curious to try a pair, but it's hard to gamble with $60 when I have something that I know works very well.

Also, I prefer the full legs of the LDComfort riding tights, as I hate bare legs inside of my over pants. Maybe the shorts would work OK under street pants, but then you have another layer between you and the seat that might wrinkle and add discomfort.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 18 Old Jun 11th, 2014, 11:23 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I do agree that keeping things clean goes a long way towards comfort.

I've never had much luck with cotton though, as it tends to bunch up, absorb sweat, and stay moist.

Some riders do fine on OEM seats, but I've found that even if the shape is decent the stock foam tends to break down over many miles, leaving you sitting uncomfortably close to the seat pan. For me, a properly-fitted custom seat is a worthwhile expense.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 3:05 pm

LD Comfort

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 12th, 2014, 4:45 pm

I am going to Alaska next month and have ordered these. I will let you know if they are that great. I hope they are it is long way from Texas and I will be leaving when it is the hottest.
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2014, 12:31 am

http://www.stunnish.com/wp-content/u...ursday-167.jpg

Phil in Marin
2013 K1300S-30 Anniv ED. sold
2006 K1200GT-Blue of course-sold
2005 Ducati 999-the I-talian princess-sold
2004 K1200GT Gen-1, Orient Blue
gone
2016 Triumph Thruxton R

2000 R1100RT.
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2014, 5:33 am

If you guys have not discovered these, I love the Duluth Trading boxer briefs. They do not roll down like a lot of more expensive stuff, and can be used as daily underwear. Great stuff !. I do have LD Comfort gear too, and love it, but for daily riding and quick runs (sometime 400-500 miles) I stay with the Duluth shorts. Cool, lightweight and pack small

Link:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ear/76015.aspx

Seating is handled by the Kontour seat cover upgrade:

http://kontourseat.com/

Doug Stracener
2011 RT polar metallic
Attorney,
MSF #127350,
Instructor, Motorcycle Safety Program Louisiana Department of Public Safety
NAUI Scuba Instructor #36288
Divers Alert Network Board member

Last edited by ka5ysy; Jun 13th, 2014 at 5:43 am.
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 13th, 2014, 8:58 pm

As Meese said, you can't go wrong with LD Comfort. No seams, keeps moisture on the outside instead of against your skin. For a great 30 minute talk with the inventor/owner Mario, check out Episode 3 of my podcast, Long Riders Radio at www.longridersradio.com , he describes how to use them for comfortable riding in all weather types. They also last forever.

Mike

post #15 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2014, 7:17 am Thread Starter

OK, so ordered the LDComfort shorts for myself and my Passenger on Wednesday, got them in the mail on Saturday.
Wore them over the Weekend and rode to work this Morning, they are worth the Money.
Am very satisfied with the comfort.
Can already tell that when it gets warmer, they will work out great.
Will recommend them to my riding partners.
Thanks for the input, Everyone....Donn
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 16th, 2014, 10:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy View Post
If you guys have not discovered these, I love the Duluth Trading boxer briefs. They do not roll down like a lot of more expensive stuff, and can be used as daily underwear. Great stuff !. I do have LD Comfort gear too, and love it, but for daily riding and quick runs (sometime 400-500 miles) I stay with the Duluth shorts. Cool, lightweight and pack small

Link:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/m...ear/76015.aspx

Seating is handled by the Kontour seat cover upgrade:

http://kontourseat.com/

+1 on the Duluth Boxer Briefs…very comfortable.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #17 of 18 Old Aug 4th, 2014, 2:54 pm

Meese is dead right about the LD Comfort. If you took a survey at the starting line of the Iron Butt Rally, I would guess at least 90% (if not more) would be wearing them. They also wash easily and will dry overnight if you roll them up tight in a towel and then hang in the room. The only people who don't like them are those who haven't worn them.

Bob Rippy

IBA #451
Missouri State Sponsor

2007 R1200RT
2014 R1200RT
post #18 of 18 Old May 19th, 2016, 4:59 pm

Cool Re: Best Undergarments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrnrd View Post
As Meese said, you can't go wrong with LD Comfort. No seams, keeps moisture on the outside instead of against your skin. For a great 30 minute talk with the inventor/owner Mario, check out Episode 3 of my podcast, Long Riders Radio at Long Riders Radio , he describes how to use them for comfortable riding in all weather types. They also last forever.
Thanks for the info on the podcast really enjoy episode 3 as you suggested, very informative info from Mario and your other guest!
KenichiTB

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in