Taking a trip to San Diego and would like some feedback on good roads in the area - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2014, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Taking a trip to San Diego and would like some feedback on good roads in the area

Hi all,
A riding buddy and I are going to be heading to San Diego and renting a couple of R1200R's from a BMW rental place called California Motorcycle Rentals, and I'm wondering if anyone could give me a nod and pointer toward some good roads to ride. We will have three days to ride.
We are located in Central Alberta.

Thank you for any thoughts and suggestions.

Chris in RD AB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 17th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Re: Taking a trip to San Diego and would like some feedback on good roads in the area

Pacific Coast Highway is nice but you will need more than three days to really enjoy the ride for what it is.

2012 R1200RT
1985 T5 Vespa
2007 Piaggio X9 500 EVO
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 6:14 am

Re: Taking a trip to San Diego and would like some feedback on good roads in the area

Mount Palomer area and the Ortega Highway mid day as it can be a comuter road.

Bob G

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 7:14 am

I lived in San Diego for 14 years, and was a member of the BMW Owners club of San Diego.

On their Web site, there is a map of the area, with lots of good roads graded and noted. You can print it out. http://www.bmwocsd.org/

You need more than three days!

The club meets on Saturday and Sunday mornings at Giovanni's restaurant for breakfast, and rides after. Click on the EVENTS button for details. Saturday rides tend to be quite fast and technical. Sunday rides can be varied. Usually more than one group will leave for a ride on Sunday, ask around for the type you want to take, fast and technical, or slower and scenic.

If I still lived there, I could take you on an ALL DAY ride, twisty and scenic, very little highway, and not see the same place twice. It would be hard to find a better riding area in the US!

You MUST do the Palomar Mountain, East Grade is sweeping turns, South Grade will give you a real workout!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dave; that's awesome information.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey View Post
I lived in San Diego for 14 years, and was a member of the BMW Owners club of San Diego.

On their Web site, there is a map of the area, with lots of good roads graded and noted. You can print it out. http://www.bmwocsd.org/

You need more than three days!

The club meets on Saturday and Sunday mornings at Giovanni's restaurant for breakfast, and rides after. Click on the EVENTS button for details. Saturday rides tend to be quite fast and technical. Sunday rides can be varied. Usually more than one group will leave for a ride on Sunday, ask around for the type you want to take, fast and technical, or slower and scenic.

If I still lived there, I could take you on an ALL DAY ride, twisty and scenic, very little highway, and not see the same place twice. It would be hard to find a better riding area in the US!

You MUST do the Palomar Mountain, East Grade is sweeping turns, South Grade will give you a real workout!
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Chris,

+1 on Palomar Mountain. The south grade can be busy with groups of sport bikes on the weekends. Rides from the coast to Mt. Laguna or Borrego Springs are also fun. Three days is not enough time.

I am a member of the North County Cruisers Motorcycle Group, check their website (northcountycruisers.com) for ride maps. I live in the San Diego area, feel free to contact me with any other questions or if you want a tour guide.

Bill

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in