Completed My Third Saddle Sore 1000 - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2013, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Completed My Third Saddle Sore 1000

Completed the Third one with two friends, Reid and Kenny. We left Valdosta just a few minutes before midnight, Nov 5, 2013 and arrived back here at 8 pm on the evening of Nov 6th. I had done two other SS-1000's and on both left at Midnight. It's cooler, less traffic and if your main goal is to eat up miles, you can do that as there is nothing to look at with the exception of scanning ahead to watch for an errant deer that has gotten over the interstate fence. But the '07 LT comes with that great Low Beam HID and I installed one on the Hi Beam also and I have 75 watt lamps in the MotoLites. So things were looking rather bright as we motored up the slab.

It was a really great ride with these guys and we talked through out the night and morning on the Sena Bluetooth headsets. We had no trouble and the traffic was very light on the start up I-75 other than the trucks. We were eating breakfast at a Cracker Barrel where Hwy 27 and I-40 crossed at Harriman, TN as the sun hit the tops of the mountains across the way. It was 0700 hours and we were hungry and Cracker Barrell had a fire in the fire place. I think Kenny wanted to pull out table right up to the fire, but we settled for good hot coffee instead.

We had a nice breakfast and decided to take off a layer of clothing as we knew it was going to get warm as the sun came up. It took way longer for that to happen than we expected and when it finally did warm up a bit we were on I-40 in the twisties and just paralleling the Great Smoky Mountains going towards Asheville, NC We took I-26 south and followed that slab into SC and passed Spartanberg and Columbia, SC and when it intersected with I-95 we turned south towards home. I-95 took us out of SC and past Savannah, GA and at St. Simmons Island, Ga we turned north west towards Jesup, GA where Reid is from. A young lady from Jesup is the reason we did this as she is dedicating a year of her lift for a mission trip that will take her through 11 countries and Reid was riding for the miles as he has a good bit of folks that are donating $$ per mile. I think some are going to be surprised that we made it.

We had a great meeting at his church and met some of his family and friends and had the best grilled Pork Chop I've ever had and then it was back on the bikes and into Valdosta about 100 miles to the south east. We were close enough to home to push the bikes there... well,.. almost.

Reid was on his Concours 14, Kenny on his K1300GT and I on the '07 K1200LT. I had no problem with my butt or legs at all as I had on my UnderArmor and had an Alaska Sheep Skin on my seat and the Mick-O-Pegs let me move my feet back and forth to ease the knees. Overall it was a relatively easy ride I thought and beautiful colors up in the mountains. When we filled up back in Valdosta to get the ticket for the time and date, my odometer read that we had gone 1,085 and my Zumo said it was 1,089 and I'm not quibbling there.

Now to plan a Bunn Burner up that way before it's too cold.

Later

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:32 pm

Re: Completed My Third Saddle Sore 1000

You have 20 years on me but you are an inspiration......I need to get out and ride and you just motivated me to do so. Keep riding and thanks for the great story. His old are your rifling buddies, if I may be so rude to ask?
post #3 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2013, 10:34 pm

Tommy-you amaze the sh.. out of me! 75 and flying on the slabs. (I'm a couple of months from 70 and crawling on the side roads).

Great work and wonderful report!!

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA

post #4 of 9 Old Nov 12th, 2013, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Hey Moralem, guess the powers that be moved this post. Guess if I had wanted it here I'd have put it. I can read. But that's ok, I put it there because I told some of the club members that ride one of the impoverished bikes that's where it would be. Who cares.

Thanks for the comments on the ride report and the age thingy. Well I'm still clicking them miles off. Retirement ain't what's it's cracked up to be, I told some the other day... it's way better. I got time to ride, work on the bikes and have fun. The estimated age on the other two guys is, Reid is about 55 and Kenny is 53. Just kids and I had to just keep prodding them along Joking about that of course, both run rather briskly as I mostly do.

My Camel ( neat handle ) I'm to far gone to make some neat sh..t like that up
Thanks for the encouraging words. Amazing, what? I think that's what the lady called me the other day when she didn't see me and I hit the horn on the LT right by her door. I thought she was going to drop her Frosty. Mostly I grunt and groan like other older folks when I'm getting up from the chair but when they prop me up on the LT and get it all cranked up and pointed off somewhere in the distance, I usually do right good.

Coming back from The Shack By The Track BBQ place in St. George, GA a couple of weeks back, I was leading a group of 4 when two guys on Concours 14's came by us and scared the crap out of me. I just wasn't looking the mirrors and we were running along through the pines and palmettos at about 65 and they just flashed by. I just sat there and stewed over that. We were all full of BBQ and Ice Cream and here came those two and I almost had an upset stomach now.

By then they were up at least a half mile or so up the road but I could see them. So like a good red blooded American I nailed it and held it and watched the Garmin 650 climb. They got bigger and bigger and then I passed them and left them on a straight getting smaller and smaller. Shortly I saw the turn at Fargo, Ga was coming up and I backed off and waited for my group to get there. While sitting I looked at the page on the GPS and it said the top speed was 123mph.

Now I have never ridden the '99 LT that fast or this '07 LT that fast before. Where we were is in the deep woods just above the Okefenokee Swamp on a good marked straight road that mostly takes log trucks to the two mills over that way and nothing was moving on Saturday afternoon. So I went a little crazy. Fun once in a great while but for those that are shaking their heads, I apologize and promise not to do that again.

I'm too old to have the Forrest Rangers out sifting through the palmettos looking for parts.

Be Safe

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #5 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2013, 5:27 am

Great trip report Tommy

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2013, 11:27 am

You inspire me. I figured an iron butt was not feasible at my age, but you've got ten years on me. It least I can put it back into the ponder mode. Great ride report, btw.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #7 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2013, 11:35 am

be safe you say?

that's reciprocal. 123 MPH. shit. she'll do 140. Try it, you'll like it (or not) .

just pulling your arthritic leg.

Mike Hammel (My Camel) [WB9GMO/4]
2002 K1200LT-E
1998 ACE Burgundy (now 'retired')
1998 ACE Yellow/Black Tourer (now 'retired')
19?? Suzuki 500 (now 'retired')
1962 modifed 49cc>~55cc Sears MoPed (LONG 'retired')

US Army Security Agency 0582L68 ('64-68)
moderator and owner:

Retired from the business world (finally--sigh --poor and proud)
Georgia Patriot Guard Riders
Roswell, GA
post #8 of 9 Old Nov 13th, 2013, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

MyCamel, just noted the call sign.

W4BPO here. Very old ham circa 1954. Not active but still have Kenwood Linear and stuff in storage. The bands have changed so much and I'd rather ride. I did find my 2 meter Kenwood rig the other day and thought... "How would this look mounted over the tank on the '07 LT"?

Then I thought, "Nahhh" and went back to my nap.

Later

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #9 of 9 Old Dec 26th, 2013, 7:48 pm

One of these days maybe I'll register a ride or two, I've just never felt the need or desire to do so. I think it is pretty cool that some folks do keep track and have several friends that ride insane miles as IBA members.
Congrats on your ride and thanks for posting about it. I enjoy reading about the long rides.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in