Another Big Bend trip report... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Another Big Bend trip report...

I finally finished my trip report. Be gentle, I am no literary master - I am counting on you drawing on your riding experiences to understand some of the feelings/experiences that I couldn't adequately express in text... Full report is on my web site...

Big Bend Trip Report

March 24-31, 2006

I guess I am just a homebody – it feels good to be home! As great a trip as this was for me, I missed the wife & kids, sleeping in my own bed, the clogged sinks, etc.

I’ld like to thank all my friends on the BMWLT.com and BMWMOA forums. I appreciate your advice, encouragement, and the time you took to share your rides. I would especially like to thank my wife who ‘let’ me go and welcomed me (and my laundry) home – love you!

Anyways, here is my feeble attempt at recapping my trip…

Summary:

Like you, I love to ride. Couple that with a trip to Tejas and I am about as happy as can be! I have never been to Big Bend country before except vicariously through some of your trip reports. No matter how well you described it or how hard I try to, I think those that have been will agree with me when I say we will have understated the vistas/experience with our words and pictures. This is one of the places those of you who haven’t been to will just need to go see in order to believe/experience. I missed/skipped enough that I’ll have to go back someday… As an added bonus, you aren’t going to see any traffic once you leave town, the park, etc…

Odds & Ends:

Here are some odds & ends and lessons learned – they may be of some benefit or may just bring a chuckle…
  • The LT performed flawlessly and it’s gas mileage actually increased over the trip in spite of the load it was carrying and the ‘5 to 9 over’ highway speeds I was running. Maybe it is finely broken in?
  • If your bike won’t start after a fuel stop, don’t panic. It may be the kill switch. Sheesh, this happened to me at my very first fuel stop in OKC and again at a Border Patrol checkpoint near Alpine…
  • I have never had a tank bag before. It was very handy for sunglasses, camera, etc. But by the end of the trip it had seemed to accumulate a lot of other ‘stuff’ – is this normal? ;-)
  • Hydration – love my Camelback. Fill it with ice and water in the morning and I had a cool drink all day long.
  • ProPlayer Performance shorts – yes, I am going to talk about underwear… These were very comfortable – I’ll buy some more next time I am at Penney’s. I also have a pair of the LD Comfort shorts – they’re great also, but the ProPlayers are a 1/3 the price and just as good IMHO.
  • ATGATT – Finally started wearing my Firstgear HT Air Overpants. Love them! Wonder why I just had them hanging in the closet for 3 months? Riding without them is a weird feeling now. Easy on/off and good ventilation.
  • The BeadRider seat I bought a couple years ago really came in handy when it started warming up. It is normally a fixture on the bike anyways during the summer. Maybe someday I’ll break down and buy a custom seat, but until then the BeadRider is a top-value buy in my book…
  • Take time to visit with folks – it’ll make the trip a richer experience… Being on a bike, folks will strike up a conversation with you.
  • Rest areas, picnic areas, & historical markers – Texas has to have some of the best rest areas around. Down in the Big Bend area (and maybe elsewhere), there are picnic areas everywhere (and advance warning via signs on the road) – these are usually paved and have 2-4 shaded picnic tables and a nice view in most cases. You’ll wear your self out trying to read all the historical markers in this part of the country, but they do add another dimension to the trip if you have time to stop and read them (again, advance warning on the road and most are paved).
  • Watch out for the jackrabbits! Some of these guys are as big as our Cocker Spaniel! There are way more of them then there are deer (and I saw a LOT of deer) and you’ll see the unlucky ones on the road. I had nightmares about hitting one…
  • If/when I go back I will try and stay a couple nights in the basin and be in shape to hike some. I can only imagine what there is to discover along some of the trails!
You can see a few pictures here - http://myweb.cableone.net/gulfxray/BigBend_20060325.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:37 pm

nice pictures and a pretty good report too.

WE (my wife and I) are presently in the first picture stage,
you think you were anxious, .................
we're leaving next thursday and half of the Bushtec is already packed.
I've changed the ringer on my cell phone to: Willy Nelson's "on the road again"
I'm salivating just looking at these pictures.
We are going to take the longwayround because I've never been to Brownsville but after that we're gonna try and hook up with some of them Texicans and check out that bowling ally breakfast plate.
woohoo!!!!!

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #3 of 5 Old Apr 8th, 2006, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
nice pictures and a pretty good report too.

WE (my wife and I) are presently in the first picture stage,
you think you were anxious, .................
we're leaving next thursday and half of the Bushtec is already packed.
I've changed the ringer on my cell phone to: Willy Nelson's "on the road again"
I'm salivating just looking at these pictures.
We are going to take the longwayround because I've never been to Brownsville but after that we're gonna try and hook up with some of them Texicans and check out that bowling ally breakfast plate.
woohoo!!!!!
Hey, Hans - c'mon dowwwn!! I know I missed ya last time you visited here in Boerne - don't wanna miss ya this time. When breakfast is gonna be on the table at the Bowling Alley, lemme know - I plan on bein' there (cage if Cheryl is still in Europe, or on Toad if she's back when you come thru). Heck, we might even round up some more folks to share them biscuits and sausage gravy plates with y'all.

Ride safe - have much fun, Hans.

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:21 pm

Dick
I don't want to hijack Shawns tread so I'll start another one soon,
lemme just say I'm looking forward to putting some faces with the names of some o' them Texicans.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 5 Old Apr 9th, 2006, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Dick
I don't want to hijack Shawns tread so I'll start another one soon,
lemme just say I'm looking forward to putting some faces with the names of some o' them Texicans.
Hans, that'll be the best part of the trip - I promise! They're a great bunch of guys and will make you feel like you have known them all you life.

I can't wait to hear how your trip goes ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in