OK I'm back - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 5:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage
OK I'm back

Just completed a 7400 mile trip.
A 12 state new addition dance. Will have to do the math to see where I stand in my state count. But first I need help with a couple things. I have read many posts in the past where the text is fitted in with pictures which I would like to attempt. Also I have not read the 3000+ threads I missed while on the road so bear with me if I say or ask something that has already been discussed
OK so I left Chicago bound for the left coast via IA., NE., CO., UT., AZ., CA. visited with family in San Diego then worked my way north along the coast. Wrong word (not worked) more like cruise and view up to the Bixby Br. at Big Sur then onto Golden Gate Br. ducked back to Yosemite and made it back to the coast at Fortuna on the 101. Next to OR. and WA. Rain followed me out of CA. and into the next 2 states. Ferried across to Whidbey Is. for another family visit and R&R. Then headed home via ID., MT., WY., SD., MN., IA. again an the friendly confines Ah finally made it.
Great ride, lots of memories, couple frustrating moments including a rear tire replacement and good camping. Lots of new faces to exchange stories with and finally my own personal survey I saw more BMW's in CA., OR., and WA than anywhere else I have traveled. Now go to LT pictures until I can figure out pictures with texts.
ride safe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:08 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: OK I'm back

As for the pictures in the post goes the easy way is to open a FREE Photobucket account & store your pictures there. Once the picture is on Photobucket you will see a "Share" link to the right of the picture. Just click that link & it will be "Copied" Next just Paste it into your post (control "V" on the key board) & your done.

This is what you get

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 6:10 pm

Wow, that is a great trip. Welcome back. You covered a bunch of states I'd like to see on two wheels.

I recently figured out how to embed photos in a post, so I'll leave it to Steve Shreeve to explain the process. He's the master at it, and he showed me how. Once you see how it's done it's easy.

<edit> Geez, I just missed Steve by 2 minutes. I told you he'd help!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thank you both Steve and Howard.
I will give it a try later. I have a lot on my plate right now and am still trying to get some rest and focus. Plus with 2 different cameras I am trying not mess up or lose any of my memories. Had a great time hope to let the pics do their thing.
ride safe
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 7:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Whats happening here I am only seeing one picture.
Iwas trying for 1/2 a dozen. Anyway I'm at the Bixby bridge in Big Sur CA.

ride safe
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Just copy the IMG tag for each photo you want to embed. Copy the tag, paste it into the thread, and go back and do that again for each photo.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Looking over the edge on my way out.

Deep into the heart and soul of thousands of years

My LT and memories to remember from the top

Entering Big Sky country from the chimney of Idaho

Just stepped off the ferry from Whidbey Is. WA. at the Mukilteo Lighthouse

Think I did it thanks again Steve and Howard.
ride safe
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 8:07 pm

Nice trip !

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #9 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 9:56 pm

I think you got it!

(P.S. - nice photos )

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2013, 11:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks it was a team effort.
Could not have done it without you. Wish I was setup to take the forum along with me. I could have used it some nights in camp when not looking at the stars or fighting off mosquitoes.
ride safe
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 5th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Great pictures Bill,

Any outstanding camp sites? How many days was the trip? Were you traveling the entire time or did you get a few days off the bike?

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 1:16 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
Great pictures Bill,

Any outstanding camp sites? How many days was the trip? Were you traveling the entire time or did you get a few days off the bike?

Greg
Your last Q first: 4 days bike free 2 in San Diego where I was chauffeur around, well I did give my grand niece a ride. And the same WA again taken around for 2 more days with another grand niece popping a ride on the back. A couple times rode into the night not able to find camp site.
Trip was 2 days short of 3 weeks had to return for some business at home. So both the last two days I went over my 400 mile day quota knowing I would be ending up in my own bed
My first disappointment was not being able to camp in Yosemite full. So I camped just outside at Indian flats. Couldn't find the camp I was looking for in Escalante UT. so had to settle for hotel in Page AZ. Now for the good news I slept in the Grand Canyon the night was perfect. Grizzly Redwood on 36 in northern CA was about as close to nature as you could sleeping among tall pines. When it rained next morning I was able to pack up without getting wet. Eagle creek outside Yellowstone was where I had very helpful fellow campers when I dropped my machine. Also the moose were very friendly coming close to the camp.
And rode the ferry like you did on your trip real smooth. Enjoyed my trip immensely. Wanting to do same on Atlantic side.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	048.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	39000   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	39001  
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 2:08 am

Hi Bill,

My name is Richard I live in Leduc Albert Canada. I am a resettled Brit and loving the North American continent. Have just recently bought a 2007 LT and only driven her 350 klm's home from the dealership. I love the ride compared to my older Triumph Sport Sprint 900. During this ride home I was very much aware of how much longer I could travel before the dreaded numb bum started compared to the Triumph. So my question to you is what kind of seat cushion are you using to allow such distances ? And second what brand of tent are you using it looks sweet in the pics and iris something I am looking to do as my old girl refuses to get on the back. Thank you Richard
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 5:38 am

Richard,

Welcome to the site :
Post a picture of your 07 so we can make sure it's the right color

Bill,
What about the fires in Colorado, any problems with smoke?

Greg

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #15 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 2:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside
Hi Bill,

My name is Richard I live in Leduc Albert Canada. I am a resettled Brit and loving the North American continent. Have just recently bought a 2007 LT and only driven her 350 klm's home from the dealership. I love the ride compared to my older Triumph Sport Sprint 900. During this ride home I was very much aware of how much longer I could travel before the dreaded numb bum started compared to the Triumph. So my question to you is what kind of seat cushion are you using to allow such distances ? And second what brand of tent are you using it looks sweet in the pics and iris something I am looking to do as my old girl refuses to get on the back. Thank you Richard
Richard like Greg said welcome aboard.
I am 3 years new to this bike but like you found the stock seat not agreeing with my cheeks. I got an AirHawk 2 which is rubber bladder with valve for putting in the right amount of air. giving an egg crate sensation sorta massage as you change positions. Not perfect but helps a great deal. Also gas-ups and pee stops give me a chance to stretch my legs and relax the cheeks for the next 200 or so. Most times I don't even think about it since my mind is fully infused with the sights of each mile . . . . beautiful country. Hope you get to enjoy it that way.
My tent is an REI 1/2 Dome 2 plus. It has two vestibules. It is a little longer and wider than the 1/2 Dome 2 but this one allows me to bring everything inside except my boots. Which is great in cold weather so your change of clothes are pretty much the same temp as you and the bugs don't get in everytime you unzip. My wife rides just not long distances and she definitely would not camp out. Hope that helps.
ride safe
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 3:05 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis
. . . .

Bill,
What about the fires in Colorado, any problems with smoke?
Greg
Greg,
Actually I left the week of the Colorado Springs 1st fire and was a bit concerned. Heck my whole family and 1 friend were worried. But I pulled up a news report saying 60 mile radius in whatever direction at the time (I don't remember) affected however when I rode through Denver on I-70 did not see a thing. What I did see was snow in the mountains and going thru Loveland pass. It turned cold. The sky was very clear.
ride safe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	024.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	39005   Click image for larger version

Name:	027.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	39006  
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2013, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Oh Richard, even though you did not ask
That tent fits into my right side case and I keep the poles sack in the top case at the very back perfect fit right below the hinges. I have a ground sheet/footprint for the tent but a tarp that size should work quite as well.
ride safe
post #18 of 24 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 1:45 am

Hi Bill And Greg,

Thank you for the greetings to the site. I apologize for not getting back to both sooner but I couldn't figure were the post went. Didn't know what group this is under. Anyways here now. I have tried a few ways to get pics into this email on my iPad but can't figure it out. The bike is the fastest colour out there for K1200 LT's it is a silver grey metallic. It came with a Unigo trailer, Sirius radio, Garmon zumo GPS, two extra wing mirrors on handle bars,Doran 360 M tire pressure monitor set up, handle bar drink holder, Ilium foot platforms in chrome, passenger foot platforms height adjustable, two Piaa Driving lights mounted on front side drop bar thingys, a shield over the top of the speedo that has Sirius aerial mounted to it, two helmets with radios and a button on the left hand grip of which I have no clue what that is for. Can't figure out how to get either the Sirius or the mp3 in the GPS to play. Side stand is a pain to get down with these platforms in the way. Two separate style backrests one is a spare the other works for me. 19006 Kms original dealer tells me it is all up to date but the selling dealer was not a BMW outlet so I figure she needs a few oils and filter changed out so I have a starting point. All this for $14,500 Canadian tax in. Bike is a little top heavy for me, I need to figure out the rear brake lever. With the platforms fitted they drop below the brake lever and means I have to lift my foot on to it and had a few scares riding her home as the brakes seem to grab pretty quick poor control holding leg in the air with foot on the lever. Great bike to ride once going but in town she is a hand full and the cage drivers don't give a rats behind riding your rear end in stop and go traffic. Will give some time to break her in and if not will have to down size. Lost a lot of strength after quad bypass surgery a couple of years ago add to that vertically challenged you get the picture she has stock windshield so I might change that out as I like to look over the top and get some cooling wind, right now it is still to high when fully down. The hydraulic centre stand is awesome except when doing oil and filter change by the looks of it, will need to figure out that also. I tried our local store Canadian Tire for a similar tent but nothing like yours, so next stop will be Cabellas hunting store. Will take you info with me. Anyways that's enough from me for now, please bear with me as I try to navigate these forums sites. Maybe a you can throw some light onto which forum this is or do people chop and change to individual posts. Thanks. All the best Richard
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 7:28 am Thread Starter

Garage

Richard it is a growing process
And I mean that in a good way. At least for me it was. Navigating the forum you pick up on some things and other are answers to your questions. This community is very good in that regard. I get a sense they hate to talk about oil but all other topics they eagerly mix it up with tech advice, pictures, experience and throw in a little dry humor once in a while. I like it all. Its like talking to friends who really know their stuff.
As far as where post go this is how I understand it. From the home/sign in page if you click on forums up top You will see a bunch of sub titles on the left. Just click on anyone that grabs your interest and you are off and rolling. If you post in the wrong place the mods tend to straighten that out. Reading Threads is another way to see what someone has tried or done. Read my 1st post in this thread and 2 and 3 from Steve and Howard. Quick responses both and here I am now with a professorial degree Just go for it.
I don't know for certain but my tent with the REI brand is had at their outlet stores or on line. Whatever I missed some grey beard would assist. I'm by no means a mechanic but the center stand was not a problem for my oil change. Knowing where the filter was the first time WAS
ride safe
post #20 of 24 Old Jul 9th, 2013, 12:59 pm

Wow Bill, you did some ridin'. Looks like it was a great trip. Love the idea of doing some camping along the way. That sounds like a wonderful way to fully experience America's national parks. I'm taking notes of your suggestions and stops. BTW, I like your choice of backrests.

__Break__

Richard, welcome to the "community". BTW, where in England were you living? Sounds like you have a pretty nice ride. I added floorboards for front and rear to my LT, and it sounds like we're having similar experiences. I have noticed it being more difficult to find the kickstand, as well as getting it all the way down/forward. The other issue is when I have to walk the bike, there is very little room between the floorboards to get much stride. I'm only 5' 8", so it was a bit of a stretch from the get-go, and then add the wide seat into the mix, so my legs aren't long enough to plant them beyond the floorboards, and of course, the leg cramps because of the seat. I took a problem and made it worse by adding a farkle, so I figure I'll take the front floorboards off and go back to the factory pegs. Hopefully, this way my S.O. can continue to enjoy her floorboards. Besides, the front ones also tilt down, which really scrapes in the twisties.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #21 of 24 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 1:39 am

Well thanks again lads for all the advice. Bill I will check the tents out on line thank you.. Jeff I was born and bred in Sunderland UK (Yes I'm a Mackem) moved to Canada in 95 to give me bairns a chance in life that I thought the UK could not. So far they have proved me right. Both girls married now with children of their own. One has a Tim Hortons restaurant and the other a HR director for a large company. I am one very proud dad. Hopefully they can take care of me when the diapers are needed LMAO. rode the bike tonight for the second time to get gas. Still unsure of the old girls weight, I am same height as you and 191lbs soaking wet. Taking her to work in the morning in rush hour figure baptism by fire is the only way to fight me fears of this oversized beast. But when moving they glide so nice Bill looks like Greg has lost his tongue after I told him what colour the bike was. Hope he is not offended I know I'm gonna enjoy these forums if everyone is like u guys. Looking forward to future postings. I will try my best to not ask old questions that bore people to sleep. TTFN
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 12:55 pm

Chayside, Greg just doesn't know how to say you're mistaken about a silver LT being the fastest color because everybody knows that the Canyon Red ones are actually the fastest. I won't hold that against you because I imagine you would know that as well, had you ever rode a red one. The baptism by fire is the only way to go. Take the big lady for a whirl around the dance floor and she'll gladly follow your lead. You just have to be firm with her like all women.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

post #23 of 24 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Gentlemen let me get into this
First I was handicapped with the internet giving trouble on my end. Seems like being away for 3 weeks and the machine switched off, no updates. Also I might have overloaded the system with pic/videos. Not quite sure but I am working with my service provider.
Now where were we Oh yes what color is best. That was too easy Black Why?? that's a hard one
But let's work this out together 3 heads are better than one. This LT has been in production for a decade. So you figure initially '99, '00 and '01 were the new kids on the block, got pampered and lots of attention. Then new technology came on the scene and it was a race to keep up with the Jones primarily Honda Goldwing. From this forum I learned changes were made on the '05's which brings us to the last two production years '08 and '09 and I got the '09. As anyone who has had dogs would tell you the "Runt" last of the litter is the best and with that I rest my case. I'm not going to speak for Greg but his black is a different year.

Richard if you know how you could post a picture in the show your pics LT sub category at the top of the forum page. There too you can see from the preceding posts what each one is proud of . . . . their girl of course

Jeff could just be wrong about that Canyon Red I have been to the Grand Canyon, heard of Glenn and Bryce Canyons even rode by Antelope Canyon nary was there a Red Canyon Sorry Jeff must have missed it.
ride safe
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2013, 2:24 am

Well I made it to work and back with a smile on my face so wide I was getting funny looks from passing motorists. Made a conscious effort to master her weight and by the end of the day I was stopping quite comfortably at T lights and intersections. Left foot on road right foot on brake. Slow traffic is a different issue so I just waited until about 30 feet spacing and found that was best. I did get a few honks from behind but nothing that my middle finger didn't fix Past a few HD's and 1 GW ( gotta be because she's Silver grey metallic) had a few thumbs up from crotch rockets I finally found out from my buddy at work the Sirius radio plays through an FM modulator in the radio, and by tuning to 88.1 fm hey presto. Now I need to find out how to get the Garmin mp3 to play. Could be its through the helmet speakers ? There is no comparison between my older Triumph and the LT. Except the Triumph is faster guess that goes without saying. Ride comfort on the LT for me is blissful. I was quite upset when arriving at home and wanting to go further using her again tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in