New England Trip Advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jun 24th, 2013, 7:47 pm Thread Starter

New England Trip Advise

Honey Bunny and I are planning a trip to the New England area for mid August. We've never been to Maine, so any insight would be appreciated.
My questions are pretty basic - where to go? what to see? what to avoid?

One option is to use MotoVermont to fly in and rent a bike for a week. Anyone use them?

We were also looking at a cruise out of Boston, but that looks to be a tad too expensive; plus it has the hugely negative factor of cutting into bike riding time.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 6:10 am

Re: New England Trip Advise

If you're going to ride Vermont, make sure you ride Rt. 100 and hit Rt. 17 in Waitsfield, you'll love it! My 2 favorite roads to ride.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #3 of 26 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 9:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
If you're going to ride Vermont, make sure you ride Rt. 100 and hit Rt. 17 in Waitsfield, you'll love it! My 2 favorite roads to ride.
+1

In Maine. Not much in the coastal roads for view of the ocean until you get to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Acadia is a must do in my book. In Freeport, the land of LL Bean, have lobster at the Harraseeket. What's on your plate was in the ocean that morning. North of Freeport on Highway 1 is the Maine Idyll Inn. Old style motel with individual cabins/cottages for the 30s. From there it's a great trip to the Owl's Head Transportation Museum. Not a bad destination if the weather is iffy.

Have a great ride.

Take care,
Chris

"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God" Kurt Vonnegut

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 26 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 10:10 am

MotoVermont has a good reputation locally.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #5 of 26 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

We have oceans, mountains, twisty roads and highways...what do you like? Take a look at the Delhi forum New England Riders, lots of info, GPS maps, and RTE's posted. Keep this post updated and I'll chime in with ideas based on area you have plans for.

August is great time for Maine, lots to activities planned for costal activities, and lots of people attending.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #6 of 26 Old Jun 25th, 2013, 11:12 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Thanks, I'll talk to MotoVermont about including them in the route.
Apparently the way this works is they set the trip up in the GPS and make the hotel reservations then you're off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBAKER15
August is great time for Maine, lots to activities planned for costal activities, and lots of people attending.
My only concern is if we catch a patch of bad weather for our trip. So I've got to think of a contingency for that.

I'll tell you what, planning for these trips is half the fun

Greg

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 3rd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Garage

I am sitting in on this one too.
I just completed my west coast ride of 1/101 and it has inspired me to want to plan for the Atlantic side. So I will be watching and taking notes. When, I don't know but hopefully soon. I seem not to be getting any younger in spite of all the compliments about 62
ride safe
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 7:53 pm Thread Starter

Here's the route offered by the tour company. My only concern is if bad weather hits. So I'm still on the fence about reserving the bike.

What do you guys think? Weather too risky?

8 Days total. Rides are short and allow time for sightseeing inbetween destinations.

- Day 1: Hotel near Burlington VT Airport

- Day 2: Pickup Bike and head to an Inn in the Green Mountain National Forest

- Day 3: Ride to Portland and lodging at Portland Regency Armory

- Day 4: Ride to Bar Harbor Grand Hotel

- Day 5: No ride planned, whale watching

- Day 6: Ride to Quoddy Head Light House & back to hotel

- Day 7: Ride to Hotel at Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith, NH

- Day 8: Return back to Burlington

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #9 of 26 Old Jul 8th, 2013, 10:32 pm

WX is unpredictable, except ur not likely to get snowed on.

Plan B shud be rainy day riding routes and indoor sight seeing.

When I rode from W Mass up to visit Cutris in VT, it rained all day. On the way back at night I sure wished I had fog lights!

See if ur rental has a toll sensor so that u won't have to stop.

Before u go see if u can find any CDs with Down-East humor--Bert and I come to mind.

there is a famous ceramics studio in the Rochester-Dover area.

there is a famous Irish Pub on the waterfront in Portland.

I couldn't see if ur route includes "The Kank"?

If u like IPA the best i've ever had is brewed in Gorham ME.

Enjoy real fresh lobster; it will be soft shelled; if u don't have access to picked the same day corn on the cob, enjoy fresh REAL corn on the cob also.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 8:30 pm

Garage

I'll be riding through Maine on my way to Nova Scotia so I'm interested in any tips, as well.

Bar Harbor and Acadia are great but very busy. Make sure you have a reservation for a place to stay.

And you must do the 'Kank" on your way through NH.
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 10th, 2013, 11:26 pm

Leaving Dallas heading to Maine on Wednesday (July 17) and these tips have been helpful. Camping spots would be great too. We travel pretty light and don't need a lot when we camp, just a quiet place for a tent with a good view. Seems every camp site I look up online is a tourist trap, especially in July.

Keep the rubber on the road and the blood inside

2006 R1200RT
2001 HD Road King Classic (Sold)
1999 Triumph Sprint ST (sold)
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 17th, 2013, 12:21 pm

Try to get off the interstates. There is a lot of slab on your map.

Roads to definitely ride:
The Kanc (Kancamagus Highway) in New Hampshire.
Route 100 in VT (north / south) alternative to I 89 And ride a few of the "Gaps" over the Green Mts, from Route 100 (73, 125, 17, etc)
108 over Smuggler's Notch from Stowe,VT
Route 2 across northern New England from Vermont to Maine
VT Route 22A or 30 as north/south alternatives to Route 7 in western VT - either one is better.

Route 2 over the northern Berkshires from Wiliamstown, MA

I don't know how to cobble that together to meet your other ride goals but try to get some of these.

RB

2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #13 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 9:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch
Try to get off the interstates. There is a lot of slab on your map.

Roads to definitely ride:
The Kanc (Kancamagus Highway) in New Hampshire.
Route 100 in VT (north / south) alternative to I 89 And ride a few of the "Gaps" over the Green Mts, from Route 100 (73, 125, 17, etc)
108 over Smuggler's Notch from Stowe,VT
Route 2 across northern New England from Vermont to Maine
VT Route 22A or 30 as north/south alternatives to Route 7 in western VT - either one is better.

Route 2 over the northern Berkshires from Wiliamstown, MA

I don't know how to cobble that together to meet your other ride goals but try to get some of these.
Excellent choices. I can vouch for those routes. Don't forget a stop at Pemaquid Point Lighthouse. Any restaurant that advertises fresh lobster by painting on a 4x8 sheet of plywood is worth going to. They spend their money on food, not advertising. That's just my opinion. Any burger cooked in an old renovated school bus is also worth a stop.

Have a great time.

Take care,
Chris

post #14 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 7:19 pm

Okay. I have to chime in since I'm a Maine-ah. Like everything in life it depends on what you are looking for.

A trip to Maine should include a stop at Portland and what is affectionately known as "The Old Port". Lots of restaurants. Probably the most unique is Dimillos Floating restaurant with good quality seafood. There are plenty of places that are better but it's unique enough and food good enough to warrant a visit. A real staple of Commercial Street is "Becky's", locals love it and its just solid Maine comfort food. There are almost 800 places to eat in vicinity of Portland. If you like beer, do the Maine Beer tours 3 hour tour, you'll get a great selection from local Maine brewers to sample along the way. Make sure you get to see Portland Head Light as the trip to it and down into Cape Elizabeth has moments that will take your breath away.

Freeport is home to LL Bean, 24 hrs of sports gear, quality clothing and the famous "Bean boot". Worth a stop.

Traveling on Route 1 will take you to Bath. Home of Bath Iron Works (BIA) where you can see US Navy battleships being built. Tour the museum at BIA for some good shipbuilding history. Stop at Beale Street BBQ for the best ribs in New England.

Route One will take you through Wiscassette, Rockport, Camden with great coastal views with a stop at the observation tower at the massive bridge going into Bucksport over the Penobscot River. You'll hit Ellsworth which is the gateway to Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.

No doubt Bar Harbor with Acadia National Park is a must see. Do not miss Cadillac Moutain, highest natural point on the east coast. A clear day you have panoramic views of coastal Maine!!!

There is so much to do between Portland and Bar Harbor. But some of the best and most intimate coastal scenery is beyond Ellsworth on Route One going into coastal Washington County. With side trips to Jonesport, Cutler, Lubec and Eastport. West Quoddy Head is a great lighthouse to visit and the views of the rocky coast is spectacular.

I'm scratching the surface here but all that will keep you plenty busy and you'll not be disappointed with twisty roads, nice stretches of peaceful green and fantastic ocean views with that Maine salt air to breath in.

Let me know if I can answer questions about others suggestions. +1 on Owls Head Transportation Museum.

"Kill'em with kindness" - "Buddy" Brown (RIP) my dad.
1978 Yamaha DT125
1984 Honda Nighthawk S
2001 Suzuki Bandit S
2004 BMW R1150RT (wife loved this bike)
2005 Kawasaki 800 Classic
2005 BMW K1200LT
post #15 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2013, 6:49 pm

If you're having a brew in Maine, make sure it's a Chamberlain Ale from Shipyard Brewing. While you're sipping read "Soul of the Lion" or, "Killer Angels."

Take care,
Chris

post #16 of 26 Old Aug 13th, 2013, 5:41 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the tips. Unfortunately Honey Bunny is set on taking a cruise, and seeing how I had my trip out west last year I pretty much had to give in and go on a Luxo Boat Ride from Boston to Bermuda. This will be my first cruise. Last time I went out, for a deep sea fishing trip, I was sick as a dog hanging on the rails for dear life. Let's just say I provided most of the chum for that trip. I've been told that shouldn't happen on one of these big liners and I hope that's true.

I'll plan to take the New England trip later in 2014. Hopefully I can carve out 3 or 4 weeks to see the area.

Greg

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #17 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 1:13 pm

Cruise to Nova Scotia and then bike to the Cabot Trail. Does not get any better that that!

I can vouch for all the suggestions offered. Been here riding for more than 40+years.

The "Kank" and "Route 2" across the north country are tops for riding with no traffic. There are a few places to stay that are nice enough for the wife to indulge. Bar Harbor is also a top destination. In between there is lots to see and do.

If you are looking for alternatives machines to ride there is an Eagle rider in Manchester NH and a great easy in and out airport.

Good Luck

Mac
post #18 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 7:58 pm

When you hit Portland, check out the Hunt & Alpine Club

http://www.pressherald.com/life/go/d...l_lovers_.html

RB

2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

post #19 of 26 Old Feb 18th, 2014, 11:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwbloch View Post
When you hit Portland, check out the Hunt & Alpine Club
That looks like a great RTE spot; I'll be sure to check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac13
Cruise to Nova Scotia and then bike to the Cabot Trail. Does not get any better that that!
Seems least expensive option now is to just ride the entire trip, and maybe Honey Bunny might fly in for a few days. But we may be moving in a couple months and if that happens this trip will get scrubbed - again.

What would really be nice is to plan a group meet up somewhere in those parts and then take a ferry to NS and cruise the Trail.

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #20 of 26 Old Feb 20th, 2014, 8:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Gotta stop by Hot Dog Annie's! 60+ year service the best dogs you ever tasted!

My hometown-Leicester, MA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iv1D7p-_qp8

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #21 of 26 Old Feb 26th, 2014, 11:44 pm

Garage

I'm working on my plans too
Mapping has been good so far. But who knows how long the wait will be for a thaw. The mid-west and northeast has been thrown back into the ice age this winter. Seen even your neck of the woods has too. Hopefully it will be a long HOT summer well for me anyway.
ride safe
post #22 of 26 Old Feb 27th, 2014, 1:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Here's the route offered by the tour company. My only concern is if bad weather hits. So I'm still on the fence about reserving the bike.

What do you guys think? Weather too risky?

8 Days total. Rides are short and allow time for sightseeing inbetween destinations.

- Day 1: Hotel near Burlington VT Airport

- Day 2: Pickup Bike and head to an Inn in the Green Mountain National Forest

- Day 3: Ride to Portland and lodging at Portland Regency Armory

- Day 4: Ride to Bar Harbor Grand Hotel

- Day 5: No ride planned, whale watching

- Day 6: Ride to Quoddy Head Light House & back to hotel

- Day 7: Ride to Hotel at Lake Winnipesaukee in Meredith, NH

- Day 8: Return back to Burlington
I've only been there once. We headed pretty much straight east from your Burlington to bar harbor. Lots of quiet good roads. i remember going over smugglers notch and through Stowe. Fun. Only downside was when we were on freeways, and that wasn't very often. For me, its more fun to not be on freeways. Have a great ride

post #23 of 26 Old Jun 21st, 2014, 11:10 pm

Well as I said only had time for a short trip so I headed over rt6 thru PA to Jersey, then back tracked to 652 up 52 and somehow picked up 44 over the mountain to Poughkeepsie NY. Took 44 out of there and picked up rt 7 thru Conn. Mass and VT. Took a bunch of other off the path roads up to the White Mts, but winds were at 90 mph so they wouldn't let me go up no matter how I tried to bribe them. Shot over to Bang. Maine and down to Acadia NP (30?) then shot back across a bunch of roads thru NH & picked up some great roads in VT. I did end up riding a section of 130? and 100? really sweet scenic by-way that followed some nice streams. All told about 1700 miles in 3 days, and some great roads.
Hotels didn't seem to be a problem on the road, maybe because everyone was in Laconia... but still tons of bikes on the roads in northern VT and western Maine. I'll have to do the trip again when I have more time & take the Mrs along.
I THINK that I was travelling on rt52 thru the Berkshires, but it may have been rt 7. Either way very beautiful area and nice MC roads. Weather couldn't have been better other than some wind.
post #24 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 10:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
I'll have to do the trip again when I have more time & take the Mrs along.
Don't we always say this?

I guess there's always a trade off between spending a lot of time in a small geographic area vs seeing more area. I can't wait to get to the great Northeast.

2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
post #25 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:14 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruivis View Post
Don't we always say this?

I guess there's always a trade off between spending a lot of time in a small geographic area vs seeing more area. I can't wait to get to the great Northeast.
I do
I don't just say it to myself but also mention it to the wife. And she looks at the pictures and say as long as you had a good time. But camping out is not for her. And when I suggest we could hotel it she said "I don't want to stop you from having fun" Plus she was never a distance rider.
I looked at a few light houses but where is that candy stripped lighthouse?
ride safe
post #26 of 26 Old Jun 22nd, 2014, 11:30 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
Well as I said only had time for a short trip so I headed over rt6 thru PA to Jersey, then back tracked to 652 up 52 and somehow picked up 44 over the mountain to Poughkeepsie NY. Took 44 out of there and picked up rt 7 thru Conn. Mass and VT. Took a bunch of other off the path roads up to the White Mts, . . . . . I'll have to do the trip again when I have more time & take the Mrs along.
I THINK that I was travelling on rt52 thru the Berkshires, but it may have been rt 7. Either way very beautiful area and nice MC roads. Weather couldn't have been better other than some wind.
Covered some of the same routes
More memorable rt 6 all the way thru PA. Picked up rt 7 from Albany to rt 9 in Bennington VT and route 2 from St Johnbury VT to Bangor ME. And of course there was route 1 most times down to CT.
Went to Mt Washington did not have to bribe them. Wind conditions were down but visibility we poor and condensation on the roadyway kinda iffy. So I passed on that. Acadia was marvelous. I could always do that again. My outing was almost 2 weeks. Any pictures??
ride safe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in