Heavy Metal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Feb 9th, 2013, 5:51 am Thread Starter

Heavy Metal

Just had a shopping run over to France and decided to just carry on for a while and rode along the Rhein towards Mulhouse, to tell the truth It is a bit of escapism, carnival is in the so-called "hot" phase and people in Basel are going crazy.
I came across a war memorial and took a closer look.

A French M4 A1 Sherman tank on a plinth called Lieutenant Jean de Loisy.
Seems that a small detachment from the 2me Peloton of the 4me Escadre 2me Régiment des Chasseurs d’Afrique Division Blindée devision under the comment of Lt. Loisy were the first French soldiers to reach the River Rhein.

Lt. Loisy died three days later in Mulhouse when his tank was hit by two Panzerfaust rockets, his tank is still in situ where it crashed.

As pithy as it seem in this day and age, a memorial like that is kind of immortality.

Without men civilization would last untill the oil needs changing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Feb 10th, 2013, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

Re: Heavy Metal

This afternoon and just for the hell of it I took a TGV to Mulhouse to have a look at Loisy's tank, I like the TGV and a trip that takes about a hour on iron pig II is over in under a half hour on the TGV, it seemed that no sooner had I sat down that the tannoy announced. "Arriving in Mulhouse in.. five… four… three… two…!
Dang! Godda go.
I took a taxi to Rue Vauban and amazingly I had managed to get a friendly Frenchman driver, just have to mention that, as them's three words ya don't hear too often in one sentence.
Loisy's Sherman was looking rather sorry for itself in the middle of dog do plies and building site mud.

That is one sad looking Sherman.

The reports that the tank was hit by two anti-tank rounds was false, there was only one and that must have been enough, a look inside the hole showed a charred and rusted interior and for a fleeing moment I saw the carnage that must have taken place, to die inside a tank must be horrible indeed, Ammo cooking off, burning oil, burning hydraulic liquid, burning fuel, burning soldiers.

I took a walk back to the railway station, past the 12th century cathedral dedicated to Saint-Étienne,

And on a much more lighter note, decades and decades of posters have transformed this advertising pillar into a monument to the Frenchman's street-dong.

post #3 of 4 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 3:51 am

Great pictures.

Looks like a helluva place to leave a historical artifact. Are you saying this tank has never been moved? If so, I'm surprised it wasn't vandalized long ago. Seems like the city would want to find a better resting place for it or create something to better protect and present it for future generations.

Just looks like someone was driving it or something, ran out of fuel, and abandoned it there. Or maybe someone stole it and is stashing it here.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 5:33 pm Thread Starter

I did some research that suggests the tank was moved due to the construction going on.
http://en.tracesofwar.com/article/24...Austerlitz.htm
Here you can see it on a plinth and the map shows it facing towards the building.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in