Planning trip from Vermont to the Canadian Rockies in June - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Dec 12th, 2012, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Planning trip from Vermont to the Canadian Rockies in June

It's that time of year when one starts to focus plans for the next summer's major ride. This year I am thinking about heading out to the Canadian Rockies.

I've ridden west via the Trans Canada Highway but so far I have always headed south at some point like Sault Ste Marie - the furthest I've been on the Trans Can being Thunder Bay.

So, I would appreciate any suggestions about places to stay, see, eat, etc between Thunder Bay and Calgary, where I will visit my cousin.

Also - suggestions for best rides, sites, etc in the Canadian Rockies in a range of Calgary, Fort Saint John, the US border and The Pacific. I have already ridden Rt 3 west from Waterton Lakes NP and 3A up around Kootenay Lake and westward to Okanagon region, which is spectacular.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, any thoughts on US 2 for the ride home across the prairie? I have done 200 and I 94 already.

RB

2005 Ducati Multistrada 1000DS (red)
2009 BMW R1200 RT (biue)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 13th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Re: Planning trip from Vermont to the Canadian Rockies in June

Make sure you do the Banff Jasper Highway when you are going through the Canadian Rockies. I wouldn't bother riding to Fort St. John. Not much to see. Spend your time further south. Also Highway 2 is a great ride. Best of luck. Sounds like a great adventure.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 13th, 2013, 8:06 pm

What is wrong with Fort St. John? We are going there this summer, probably last week of June and first couple of weeks in July. I know it's not a big destination but my wife's daughter lives there. I am planning to ride out through Canada and return south of the border. My wife will fly to Regina or Saskatoon and fly home from Calgary.

Gerhard

post #4 of 5 Old Feb 16th, 2013, 4:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

From Cashe Creek, take 99 down through Whistler. This is some of the best riding I have ever done. B. C. Is full of great rides! Enjoy your trip.
Kelly

2011, R1200RT
2006, R1200GS (located in Ireland)
2006, K1200LT (sold)
1981, Kawasaki CSR 650 (sold)
post #5 of 5 Old Feb 17th, 2013, 3:07 am

what is the condition of the Trans Can Hwy these days? I've read some highways up there are no more than dirt roads that can be pretty dangerous during summer months because of all the logging trucks and the fogs of dirt they create behind themselves.

Doesn't sound like good surface to ride something like an LT on.

Jeff
Big D is my neck of the woods

99 K1200LT (don't need loud pipes w/ 8 spk. stereo)
08 HD wide glide
prior:
07 HD XL1200C (sold!
)
78 KZ750 twin
76 CB750F
71 CL175 Scrambler
73? Yamaha 100 enduro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in